UIL Area D 6A

ReveriesOp24

Very interesting! looks like Cedar Ridge will be setting the bar which could be a good or bad thing for them. I remember back in 2014 when Hendrickson performed first and they got 1st in prelims! then they got knocked to eighth place in the finals. or that time Round Rock went first in 2012 and missed finals. CR will have to be on their game for prelims but I still think they will have an easier path to finals than other competitors. 

8 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Who can tell me about M&G Johnson? Have a college friend w/ kids in this band. My kid is in an Area C band. Would be amazing to catch up with him at State if both bands made it. Do they have a shot? C will be tough but hoping for a great run. 

They have had to great seasons, and while they still look and sound great this year, it's not the best designed show, and I while of course anything is possible, I don't see them making state this year, especially out of this Area. They should make finals but they are looking to be in the 8th-10th range as of now, unless of course they have really cleaned up since TMC. Again wonderful program, but they are kind off having a Vista Ridge 2021 year with the show. 

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

They have had to great seasons, and while they still look and sound great this year, it's not the best designed show, and I while of course anything is possible, I don't see them making state this year, especially out of this Area. They should make finals but they are looking to be in the 8th-10th range as of now, unless of course they have really cleaned up since TMC. Again wonderful program, but they are kind off having a Vista Ridge 2021 year with the show. 

Thanks for your insight! Always valued!

36 minutes ago, AlphaOmega said:

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT TRANSPORTATION!!!!

Parmer between 620 (45 toll) and Spectrum Drive (aka on the way to Reeves) is closed both ways tomorrow. Please seek alternate routes. If you're coming from south, take 183 to Avery Ranch. If you're coming from the north, you should be good. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 11.21.27 AM.png

This is why the band community is awesome - thank you for the heads up and informing people!!!

2 hours ago, JMR2022 said:

CTJ in 2020 was the first San Antonio band to win in 35 years - going back to 1985 - I forget the school that won but it was not Churchill

It kind of blows my mind that Churchill and then Reagan never won at all during the 90s and 2000s but their peak was during the dominance of Westfield, Duncanville, LD Bell, and Spring.  Reagan has made a resurgence in the past few years though so I could still see them winning a championship in the near future, especially now that there will be twice as many opportunities.  

Interestingly, there have been 6 conference 6A state championships since the creation of 6A and 6 different champions.  I'd love to see this pattern continue and we get some more first time winners.

4 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

It kind of blows my mind that Churchill and then Reagan never won at all during the 90s and 2000s but their peak was during the dominance of Westfield, Duncanville, LD Bell, and Spring.  Reagan has made a resurgence in the past few years though so I could still see them winning a championship in the near future, especially now that there will be twice as many opportunities.  

Interestingly, there have been 6 conference 6A state championships since the creation of 6A and 6 different champions.  I'd love to see this pattern continue and we get some more first time winners.

Churchill is a state finalist in the next 5 years. I’m calling it now. 

Exciting weekend ahead for the Area D bands. I expect to see Reagan, CTJ, Cedar Ridge, and Round Rock as solid locks for the UIL State Marching Contest. After that, I would strongly consider Bowie, Westwood, and Dripping Springs. All fabulous! Churchill, Weiss, New Braunfels, McNeil are also great. Good luck to all these teams!

12 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

From the first block Cedar Ridge was outstanding! I am not sure what they did but it felt like a whole new show. As of right now no school has matched them in music. Round Rock is clean but they are missing something not sure. We will see where the judges place them.

I mentioned it earlier, but heavily agreed on Cedar Ridge! Things clicked in a way they haven't before imo

2 hours ago, Bandaid101010 said:

Bowie has made numerous changes and added visuals since Katy. If they can pull out a sharp run today, they have a shot at 5th. They need their brass to crank it up AND hit their notes.

While their show may not click by tonight I do think they have it in them to clean to national finals in the coming weeks.