Realignment

With the next realignment coming up, what schools do you think will be affected by this? Here are things that I have heard rumors about so far:

• Cedar Park and Forney going up to 6A
  • Vandegrift going down to 5A (idk if it will be this realignment or the next one)
  • Wakeland moving up to 6A (although Frisco ISD opens up a new high school every 2 seconds)

Those are the things that I have heard about so far.

I imagine Vandegrift will have one more cycle of 6A, although I'm not sure when Leander ISD plans to do boundary realignments for their schools to adjust for all of the growth in Rouse and Glenn.  Both of those schools could be going up to 6A this alignment or next.

I'm curious to see about the Mansfield schools.  They have been teetering the edge during recent realignments. 

New schools also make things interesting.  

The football forum seems to talk a lot about the 7a classification.  Consensus seems like it's not quite there yet, but that it will soon be needed to alleviate the overcrowding 4a and 5a classifications because so many schools have enrollment numbers within a very small range (say 1600-2100) and as new schools are getting built this will only go up.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:24 PM, LostChoirGuy said:

I imagine Vandegrift will have one more cycle of 6A, although I'm not sure when Leander ISD plans to do boundary realignments for their schools to adjust for all of the growth in Rouse and Glenn.  Both of those schools could be going up to 6A this alignment or next.

I'm curious to see about the Mansfield schools.  They have been teetering the edge during recent realignments. 

New schools also make things interesting.  

I agree. I think Vandy's enrollment is getting smaller each year but not to the point where it will change the next realignment. I'm also interested in seeing what the Mansfield schools will do. I used to live in Mansfield and man, that city never stops growing. MISD also rezones a lot so it might be interesting to see how that plays out.

On 10/8/2023 at 7:46 AM, LeanderMomma said:

I feel like Leander will go back up as well since they are always so close to the cutoff for 6A anyway. Might be time for Texas to implement a 7A classification honestly. 

Yeah the Leander ISD schools for sure move around a lot during the realignments. From what I've heard, they won't add 7A for the upcoming realignment, but they might add it in the 2026 realignment.

7 hours ago, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

Yeah the Leander ISD schools for sure move around a lot during the realignments. From what I've heard, they won't add 7A for the upcoming realignment, but they might add it in the 2026 realignment.

How exactly does the realignment work, is it every 2 years? so 22',24',26'? So schools that are over the limit will move up next year?

51 minutes ago, deank10 said:

How exactly does the realignment work, is it every 2 years? so 22',24',26'? So schools that are over the limit will move up next year?

Yes, every two years, UIL reclassifies schools and then they realign the regions and areas and things like that as needed.  It is worth noting that there isn't a golden number for enrollment to be 5a or 6a, it is comparative to other school's enrollment.  They have been doing about 250 in each of the higher classifications, so basically if your school is one of the 250 largest in the state then it is in 6a, based on the numbers submitted by each school on snapshot day.  That's oversimplifying it a little but the general gist.

3 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Yes, every two years, UIL reclassifies schools and then they realign the regions and areas and things like that as needed.  It is worth noting that there isn't a golden number for enrollment to be 5a or 6a, it is comparative to other school's enrollment.  They have been doing about 250 in each of the higher classifications, so basically if your school is one of the 250 largest in the state then it is in 6a, based on the numbers submitted by each school on snapshot day.  That's oversimplifying it a little but the general gist.

So schools in 4A such as Anna, Kaufman, Sulphur Springs that all have around 1225 will stay or will they move up?

The threshold will be determined once the snapshot numbers are available for all schools.  Typically the threshold has been rising for each classification each year.  At some point in the not so distant future there will likely be a 7a added in as there are so many schools all clustered around the same size that it causes some weird stuff with balancing the classes.  I have no idea what to expect for the schools you mentioned as I haven't really followed where the 4a schools are at enrollment wise but I will say that with the growth happening in Anna, I don't expect it to stay a 4a school much longer.  Melissa already moved up to 5a this past realignment. 

On 10/6/2023 at 11:40 AM, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

With the next realignment coming up, what schools do you think will be affected by this? Here are things that I have heard rumors about so far:

• Cedar Park and Forney going up to 6A
  • Vandegrift going down to 5A (idk if it will be this realignment or the next one)
  • Wakeland moving up to 6A (although Frisco ISD opens up a new high school every 2 seconds)

Those are the things that I have heard about so far.

Forney one I can confirm since we have 2450 students (I believe from what I remember). The threshold is usually around 2200 or so (correct me if I am wrong), so Forney is likely to move up to 6A.

Snapshot number have already been turned into UIL. They will be meeting in the few months to decide what the enrollment cut numbers will be for each classification. Just because there are schools that are on the edge of going up, they may not because the enrollment cut numbers do not stay the same and usually go up based on the numbers turned in. So, you could have a school that is under by 100 2 yrs ago turn in something that is over 200 and end up still in the same classification if the cut scores get raised.

There has been talk of a 7A but I don't see how that can happen with some of those schools would then end up having to drive 3-4 hours just to play each other. I think there will probably be a 6A Division 3. There are more schools that move up then move down. 

If I remember, I think UIL releases the new districts in Feb or Mar.

17 hours ago, TexasStrangers said:

Snapshot number have already been turned into UIL. They will be meeting in the few months to decide what the enrollment cut numbers will be for each classification. Just because there are schools that are on the edge of going up, they may not because the enrollment cut numbers do not stay the same and usually go up based on the numbers turned in. So, you could have a school that is under by 100 2 yrs ago turn in something that is over 200 and end up still in the same classification if the cut scores get raised.

There has been talk of a 7A but I don't see how that can happen with some of those schools would then end up having to drive 3-4 hours just to play each other. I think there will probably be a 6A Division 3. There are more schools that move up then move down. 

If I remember, I think UIL releases the new districts in Feb or Mar.

I believe the last cycle they announced the class cutoffs in November, so we should know who is moving up/down next month.  And then the alignments for athletics districts should be announced in the Spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

I agree. I think Vandy's enrollment is getting smaller each year but not to the point where it will change the next realignment. I'm also interested in seeing what the Mansfield schools will do. I used to live in Mansfield and man, that city never stops growing. MISD also rezones a lot so it might be interesting to see how that plays out.

So MISD hasn't rezoned in a while, but they will for the 25-26 school year to alleviate overcrowding at Mansfield, Lake Ridge and Legacy and to boost Summit and Timberview's numbers (which is greatly needed from a band perspective).

Dave Campbell's Texas Football's Matt Stepp has a running list of all enrollment numbers he's received so far (free article): https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/10/25/2023-uil-snapshot-day-enrollment-figures

Some numbers to note:

• Allen - 6,947
  • Mansfield, Lake Ridge and Legacy are all locks to stay 6A
  • McKinney North turned in 2,273, which puts them on the bubble for the 6a/5a split
  • Aledo turned in 2,267, which puts them in the same position as McKinney North
  • Highland Park turned in 2,165, which probably puts them back into 5a
  • I haven't seen a number yet, but Stepp has said that Desoto will likely turn in 5a numbers, but opt up to 6a (likely to stay in a closer athletic district)

On 11/1/2023 at 5:50 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

Dave Campbell's Texas Football's Matt Stepp has a running list of all enrollment numbers he's received so far (free article): https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/10/25/2023-uil-snapshot-day-enrollment-figures

Some numbers to note:

• Allen - 6,947
  • Mansfield, Lake Ridge and Legacy are all locks to stay 6A
  • McKinney North turned in 2,273, which puts them on the bubble for the 6a/5a split
  • Aledo turned in 2,267, which puts them in the same position as McKinney North
  • Highland Park turned in 2,165, which probably puts them back into 5a
  • I haven't seen a number yet, but Stepp has said that Desoto will likely turn in 5a numbers, but opt up to 6a (likely to stay in a closer athletic district)

RIP to every football team in 5A if they DeSoto actually went down to 5A lol

On 11/1/2023 at 5:44 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

So MISD hasn't rezoned in a while, but they will for the 25-26 school year to alleviate overcrowding at Mansfield, Lake Ridge and Legacy and to boost Summit and Timberview's numbers (which is greatly needed from a band perspective).

I used to live in Mansfield and would've gone to Lake Ridge if I stayed there and I can tell you that there are for sure a lot of people crowding into those schools. My friend who goes to Lake Ridge said that the freshman class last year was outragously big like 1000 students or something like that and I imagine that it is similar for the other schools in that area. What they probably should do is send some of the people from Lake Ridge and Mansfield to Timberview and send some of the Legacy and Mansfield people to Timberview. This could help bands like Summit and Timberview get more people in their bands which could lead to better scores. This could ecspecially help Summit with more people considering the fact that they made state in 2021 and getting more people back could them back to that standard.