2023 UIL 6A Area H

Oh awesome. Was scared we’d miss out on one of these bands at state. 

I agree the top four placing bands are kind of already locked, but honestly they could finish in any order. They all end up settling into their appropriate tiers by San Antonio anyway.

We’ve seen Westlake beat Leander in 2018 here, and Vista Ridge beat Vandegrift in 2021 and then again the eventual state champion in 2022 so really anything goes.

8 hours ago, lost said:

I agree the top four placing bands are kind of already locked, but honestly they could finish in any order. They all end up settling into their appropriate tiers by San Antonio.

While I think the four state qualifiers will come from region 32, my sense is that it’s a top two/bottom two situation. I’m still predicting a win by Vista again and LT over Westlake. But this contest can yield surprising results so we’ll have to see on Saturday.

On 10/18/2023 at 7:33 AM, seafoodbuffet said:

While I think the four state qualifiers will come from region 32, my sense is that it’s a top two/bottom two situation. I’m still predicting a win by Vista again and LT over Westlake. But this contest can yield surprising results so we’ll have to see on Saturday.

I loved LTs show. I do worry about vista being clean enough to win it. Vandy imo is still cleaner, last I saw! 

On 10/18/2023 at 7:33 AM, seafoodbuffet said:

This seems fair. I think there's a world Lake Travis upsets Vista Ridge given how things have been shaking up. This area is always so unpredictable, but again everything seems to settle by the time San Antonio comes around.

On 10/19/2023 at 8:09 PM, Samuel Culper said:

Much more than Area D would be with Region 32 included. That would be a hideous bloodbath.

Area D is already stacked as it is. I have no doubt that some of the bands outside the top 5 would be finalists in other areas. Many years ago LISD was part of the same region for TMEA. 

I couldn’t copy this but wanted to let people know if they are going to Gupton that Parmer Lane will be closed just north of 45. I got this from the Area D chat.  I’ll be at Kelly Reeves tomorrow but since Gupton is just down the street, I wanted to share this here in case there are people going this way to get to Gupton. 

IMG_1465.jpeg

3 hours ago, Nny14 said:

I honestly feel like Vista isn't getting enough love considering how good they are this year. I wouldn't be suprised to see them medal at State and BOA SA at this rate. 

I agree, however Vista has not been in many contests (only 1 so far) where they are scored vs. other bands and that was very early at BOA Austin.  When that happens they tend to fall out of the conversation loop and drop in the rankings.   Interesting that this year's BOA Austin was the best finish placement in history for Vista Ridge at that contest (3rd in Finals).  Will be good to see them in contest again and see how they do!

Vandegrift could have one of the worst runs they've had in weeks and I'd still be shocked if they were out of the top 2. Vandegrift is such a powerhouse, where even a bad run is ahead of most of their competition.

It reminds me of state finals last year. Hebron had arguably a "bad run". They still beat every band besides 1. Or even the Woodlands 2006, where they had severe tech issues, but still got 4th in the country.

That being said, I'm not there today. I had to travel for work. I might catch the tail end of finals if time permits.