2023 UIL 6A Area H

Great performance from O’Connor! Love me another harmonica Solo, great ensemble sounds, great guard! Sun definitely got to them a little but Ik tonight’s performance will be much better (unless they somehow don’t make it I haven’t seen everyone so can’t really make prelims predictions). But yeah gear job SOC! 

17 hours ago, TenorSaxMan16 said:

Does anyone have the prelims results? 

Finals Results

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge

3. Westlake

4. Lake Travis

5. Brandeis

6. Del Rio

7. Steele

8. Taft

9. Clark

10. Brennan

Prelims Results

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge 

3. Westlake

4. Lake Travis

5. Brandeis

6. Taft

7. Steele

8. Brennan

9. Clark

10. Del Rio

41 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Really sucks that this site crashed, was planning on covering all of finals, but I'll most some of my big takeaways:

Vandergrift- not surprised at all, just incredible sounds all around, dill was SO clean, not my favorite show, but they definitely bring out the "Spotlight" concept a ton throughout the show both musically and visually! Was just absolutely blown away by them! 

Vista Ridge- I think it's fair to say they were they crowd favorite lol! I got here 30 minutes early and the stands were PACKED for Vista! People were on their feet before the show was even over, just such a strong and huge ensemble sound. really sucked that they had to go first, but either way an incredible performance from them! 

Westlake- Don't understand the show one bit lol! They played with such a mature and rich sound, another great rendition of Barber 1, and the guard was absolutely stellar! Drill was also very clean and engaging! 

Lake Travis- their best show to date! Another huge and powerful yet controlled sound! The theme of the show is presented throughout the entire show, and it's just a really fun show to watch! Really enjoyed watching them, Loved the Tuba Solo, just a great show all around! 

Brandies- obviously getting into the top 4 at this area is so hard, but I believed their finals run may had been enough to do it! people were going CRAZY over the Cowboy Bebop section, myself included! Great guard and soloist all around, really shocked that they didn't place higher at the other comps they attended, but still and incredible season for them, can't wait to see how they do at SA! 

Del Rio- I see why people were talking about this program in the early season! Such a fun show, great sounds all around, and I really loved the show design wise! 

It was a great first time being at Area H! The parents running the event were super nice! Got to talk to a lot of different parents from multiple programs, all were super sweet and supportive of the other programs! I was sitting by some Vandy and LT parents, and one of the LT parents had a jersey with their kids name on it, so the Vandy mom behind her asked where her kid was. At the end of LT's performance, the Vandy mom gave the LT kid a special shout out, just lot's of love from the different parents of each band! 

Brandeis' show was excellent. I really wish there was a 5th slot, because that show is definitely State-worthy.

I'm not shocked they didn't do better in earlier competitions. It has been a late-bloomer. I saw it two weeks ago at the Vista Ridge Marching Festival and it has come a really long way in those two weeks. Massive improvement!

Does anyone happen to have a prelims and/or finals recap for this comp?

I only got to see a couple of the shows like Vandy, LT, John Paul Stevens but they all absolutely killed it! I loved the colorguard in Steven's show, they just looked like they were having so much fun out there! Vandy just crushed it as always, but I got to see their front ensemble in a huddle with their director for a pep/hype talk, and you can see how much they just love performing, both in how they act before their run, and during it with how much they get into the pulsing and movement. It's not just that they are playing or performing the show, they're a part of it, and they are becoming it. I love seeing how immersed they are in it. And LT had great performances tonight too, and I love their theme, and I can really relate to it. Both runs were great, but if I'm being completely honest here, both runs could have been a lot better. In their prelims, it sounded as if they almost tore/split a few times, but recovered well, and the rest of the show was not as in the pocket as it could have been. And in their finals run, they did split once for like 5 seconds, but they recovered really well and from it, but it did drag their scores down a lot I'm sure. Other than that, it was awesome! I really wish I could have seen more performances though, I only got to see a couple prelims and finals shows. 

6 minutes ago, BestXylo5 said:

Does anyone happen to have a prelims and/or finals recap for this comp?

I only got to see a couple of the shows like Vandy, LT, John Paul Stevens but they all absolutely killed it! I loved the colorguard in Steven's show, they just looked like they were having so much fun out there! Vandy just crushed it as always, but I got to see their front ensemble in a huddle with their director for a pep/hype talk, and you can see how much they just love performing, both in how they act before their run, and during it with how much they get into the pulsing and movement. It's not just that they are playing or performing the show, they're a part of it, and they are becoming it. I love seeing how immersed they are in it. And LT had great performances tonight too, and I love their theme, and I can really relate to it. Both runs were great, but if I'm being completely honest here, both runs could have been a lot better. In their prelims, it sounded as if they almost tore/split a few times, but recovered well, and the rest of the show was not as in the pocket as it could have been. And in their finals run, they did split once for like 5 seconds, but they recovered really well and from it, but it did drag their scores down a lot I'm sure. Other than that, it was awesome! I really wish I could have seen more performances though, I only got to see a couple prelims and finals shows. 

Area Results (uiltexas.org)

Looking at scores, the top 4 is ceiling region 11 and 29 just aren't reaching. I don't think I saw a single judge in finals rank the schools in 5-10 in the top 4. Normally there's at least 1 break through.

I think they'll get there some day. Brandeis looks like the most likely to do so, though Lake Travis continues to make their swift rise from upper mid tier band to BOA SA finalist contenders. The gap is just getting wider. To me it's exciting seeing a band rise like that; I can imagine it's a bit frustrating for the kids though.

I was hoping my old school, Taft would do a bit better. 8th was actually what we got in area when we qualified for state in 2014. They were doing very well throughout the season, but I guess they had a weaker performance come finals time, especially comparing music scores between prelims and finals.

Could anyone there tell me what happened to O'Connor? Looking at this season, I saw no reason they shouldn't have been up there with Brandeis. I guess area is just a different ball game. 

7 hours ago, FEDude said:

Looking at scores, the top 4 is ceiling region 11 and 29 just aren't reaching. I don't think I saw a single judge in finals rank the schools in 5-10 in the top 4. Normally there's at least 1 break through.

I think they'll get there some day. Brandeis looks like the most likely to do so, though Lake Travis continues to make their swift rise from upper mid tier band to BOA SA finalist contenders. The gap is just getting wider. To me it's exciting seeing a band rise like that; I can imagine it's a bit frustrating for the kids though.

I was hoping my old school, Taft would do a bit better. 8th was actually what we got in area when we qualified for state in 2014. They were doing very well throughout the season, but I guess they had a weaker performance come finals time, especially comparing music scores between prelims and finals.

Could anyone there tell me what happened to O'Connor? Looking at this season, I saw no reason they shouldn't have been up there with Brandeis. I guess area is just a different ball game. 

For O’Connor, they did have a pretty bit of a rough run. Soloist had some pretty obvious mixed notes, they were performing at the hottest time of the day so that had some affect, and some drill issues. They are still amazing and had a solid run but after seeing all of finals I wasn’t super shocked they didn’t make it, but they still were great!