2023 UIL 6A Area H

Area contest to be held at Gupton Stadium in Cedar Park - Saturday, October 21st

Region 11 Contest - Saturday, Oct 14th, Rutledge Stadium

8:30 - Judson

8:45 - Steele

9:00 - East Central

9:15 - Clemens

9:30 - Eagle Pass

9:45 - Del Rio

Region 29 contest - Wednesday, Oct 11th, Farris Stadium

6:30 - Jay 

6:45 - Holmes

7:00 - John Marshall

7:15 - Sotomayor

7:30 - Warren

7:45 - Clark

8:05 - Harlan

8:20 - Brandeis

8:35 - Brennan

8:50 - O'Connor

9:05 - Taft

9:20 - Stevens

Region 32 Contest - Wednesday, Oct 11th, Gupton Stadium

7:30 - Vista Ridge

8:45 - Westlake

9:00 - Vandegrift

9:15 - Lake Travis

Looking at the numbers, it's 4 advancers if everyone listed gets a 1.

I don't think anyone doubts Region 32. I don't live too far away. I might catch a peak of what these bands are doing this Wednesday.  

Region 29 is NISD. Recently, NISD has been quite strict about UIL the last couple of years; You get a 1, or you get a new band director next year. Harlan, Taft, and O'Connor seem to be having especially great seasons. Brandeis is still doing very well, but not at the level that they were last year when it was a genuine question if they'd beat Lake Travis. Any of those 4 (or even all of them) could be in Area finals. Still don't think they'll make state, but in Texas, anything is possible.

Region 11 will probably be fine. There are a couple bands that haven't been consistent with getting a 1 I'm a little nervous for, but I know they're all working hard. Del Rio is probably the strongest band in the region. They're doing pretty well this season as well , just barely missing Vista Ridge finals.

Edited by FEDude
Fixing paragraph spacing. Saying region instead of program.

My predictions:

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge

(1 and 2 may change)

3. Lake Travis

4. Westlake

(I really don't see any other band breaking in this year)

After this, it's kinda a tossup

5. O'Connor

6. Harlan

7. Brandeis

8. Taft

9. Brennan

10. Del Rio

Bubble: Clark, Judson

I put Vandegrift first just because UIL is so music focused, and when I saw them at UIL, they were (to me) the most perfect band musically of the night (and their marching was not far behind).

Westlake's show is absolutely gorgeous, and I think the show may even break into state finals. It still needs cleaning though. Still, I do think there's still a large enough gap between 4th and whoever gets 5th.

To be honest, any of 5-10 could be higher or lower. Taft had an impressive show at Vista and Brandeis had an equally impressive show at BOA Austin. Harlan actually beat Taft earlier in the season, and they've been in area finals before. Brennan has had some amazing seasons recently and I can see them even higher than that.  

Edited by FEDude
Misspelled is

Hey everyone! So I will be attending this comp this year! I’ve got some freshmen friends here at Baylor from a couple of the schools here, and while I was originally planning on going to Area C, they really wanted to come here and don’t have rides, so Ive decided to take them. I’ve never been to an Austin based comp, nor seen any of these bands live except for Vista in 21 at GN finals, so I’m extremely excited! Idk yet if I’ll be doing commentary or not throughout the day, but I’ll definitely do a final thoughts once I get back to campus. But anyways, if there is a link to buy tickets, I’d be very grateful if someone could post it, and for any info on Gupton stadium and just any general “good to knows” before coming here. I’m very excited to see some of these incredible bands live for the first time! Should be another great weekend of marching band

Edit: just found the link for tickets! 

@Tubalord11 For regionals they did not have concessions running. You are allowed to bring in an unsealed bottle of water. If you are going to be here all day maybe bring a cooler with water and leave it in the vehicle and rock/paper/scissors to see who is doing the running. 

If you like ice cream there's an awesome ice cream shop within walking distance named Scoop & Score. They support local HS bands and are some really great people. 

@Tubalord11 & @MikeKyu they will have concessions for Area.

Parking at Gupton is easy.  Enter the parking lot off of either Park (north side of stadium) or Gupton Way (west side).  The east entrance off of Vista Ridge Blvd is used for trucks and busses.  If the Gupton lots end up being full, they will direct people over to the Vista Ridge HS lots to the east of the stadium.

If you want to go grab a real meal between Prelims and Finals, go north from the stadium on Vista Ridge Blvd. to 1431/Whitestone Blvd.  Turn right (east) and you will see Whataburger, McDonald's, Panda Express all before you get to Parmer. There is a Schlotzsky's @ Parmer (NE corner).

Go left (west) instead on 1431 and go about a mile or so and you will hit a major retail area with many food options.

Does that incredible taco and hamburger place still exist in that convenience store just north of Vista Ridge?

EDIT: adding this…if y’all want some incredible and easy to grab non fast food between prelims and finals, go south from the stadium instead of north, turn left and go a little bit east on Brushy Creek to Cedar Pork. It’s a food truck area with incredible bbq, burgers and TexMex options very close to Gupton and it’s beyond good! The address is 2301 Brushy Creek.