12 minutes ago, Bandmomx4 said:

I agree north shore looked fantastic!

I don’t know how others are managing more time to spend on drill… 🤷‍♀️ I just know it’s been a consistent announcement that the heat is too high and they will start practice inside.   They even moved the practices later in the evening instead of right after school- to try and have a better chance to get outside time.

no i like that they're very much safety 1st. but maybe ask around how others in the district are coping.

i guess it wouldn't be a real *~*Day Danse*~* w/o 100+ degree weather!! LOL

anywho, back to topic.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

oooo y'all i think Bridgeland might be the real deal. watched the soundless Bridgeland and Cy-Fair game lol. both looked very good, but Bridgeland in particular was, like, stunningly good visually. so layered and interesting and well performed. that guard is going. to. be. a. threat. they opened w/ this like full field black flag feature, full size 6 foot poles, and it was shockingly clean. rifles were reallllly on point too. just reaaaalllly consistently engaging to watch the whole visual package. gotta hope the music matches it, could be a great yr for them.

unless im confusing them w/ CyFair LOL. i think CyFair were the maroon ones. they were also very good. have these curved white set pieces the band moves around.

ofc u really need the music to know.

having seen a video that may or may not be somewhere on the internet, bridgeland can for sure be the real deal if they can clean it (which i have no doubt they will knowing their staff). very textured, layered, and challenging to the students who are achieving very well. the percussion package as always is stellar as well. 

i wasn't sure the news station archived vids but it turns out they did for the CTJ vs Judson game.

https://www.ksat.com/video/big-game-coverage/2023/08/26/johnson-vs-judson--08/25/2023-bgc-football-archive-/

ctj looks and sounds great!! all very sophisticated. didn't hear the title clearly, audio is a little muffled, might need to put in some earbuds.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

and here's Reagan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkHbiEGhi4&pp=ygUfcmVhZ2FuIHNtaXRoc29uIHZhbGxleSBmb290YmFsbA%3D%3D

that little cosmic swirly kaleidoscope drill in the middle of the field near the beginning is such nostalgic 2002 vibes, brings tears to my eyes.

TYSM!!! Was looking for these 2 forever last night! 

19 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

Not going to share the video, but Lumberton is coming after State Finals. I've said it a couple times already on different media platforms, but I lost my jaw somewhere. Musically, holy cow. How they are clean this early is beyond me. Of course, visually is going to a little rough but this band is miles ahead of at least the last 3 years of the program. 

I couldn’t agree more. I’m so excited about the show this year and can’t wait to see how far they go. They are so hungry for State Finals. 

Saw Hebron’s before it was muted. The vibe of the music is very mature, not at all fun like last year and not as in-your-face as the beginning of Penstriped was. Still has the same technical craziness as usual. The opening fanfare sounded stupid good for august. 

Flower Mound’s guard looks incredible! I absolutely love how they are staged. Speaking of guard, Timber Creek’s is kindof insane this year. Rifles, sabres, and multiple flag lines on the field at the same time 😵. With that being said, their show was definitely the messiest of the ones that I’ve checked out so far.

Quite a different vibe for CTJ. Seems like a shift away from their usual super high-velocity drill and choreo, which I think is smart with having a new head director and dealing with the heat. They sound great and there’s already lot of musical clarity despite the muffled audio. Reagan is Reagan! Always a treat visually, just gotta work on the timing and confidence in some of the brass moments. 

18 hours ago, Bandmomx4 said:

This last year I’ve watched the bridgeland band and specifically guard- I definitely think they are one to watch and can see them climbing up the expectation ladder.  I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from them each year! 

supposedly they have like 75 guard members this year which is crazy!! but yeah they looked really really good in the muted video, hanging w/ the best imo. i remember thinking their upstairs vis was clean last year prior to Conroe, think they ended up 2nd across the board in visual. could make a little splash at Katy methinks if the music is solid.

19 hours ago, Origin said:

Quite a different vibe for CTJ. Seems like a shift away from their usual super high-velocity drill and choreo, which I think is smart with having a new head director and dealing with the heat. They sound great and there’s already lot of musical clarity despite the muffled audio. Reagan is Reagan! Always a treat visually, just gotta work on the timing and confidence in some of the brass moments. 

my first thought also about ctj, seems more manageable to get clean, miiight be a good choice for them, we'll see. def think they're cleaner than Ridge and Reagan right now, and have much more show fielded than twhs. still over a month til BOA Katy tho. that one's gonna be reeeeal competitive.

I've slowly made my way through this thread and the videos. Unfortunately, I don't have access to all the ones I wanted to see. 😭

The three that have overall impressed me the most so far are Hebron, The Woodlands, and Claudia Taylor Johnson. Hebron for their out of this world, wizardly music (even though it's so early!), The Woodlands for their masterful coordination of the visual with the music (even though it's super short) + a guard that's probably the best in the country at this early stage, and CTJ for having what seems at first glance to be a cleaner and more focused production than usual at this stage, maybe without sacrificing much of the usual excitement and "flamboyance" 🦩.

Of course, the competitions are like a month away, which is a lifetime in this activity, so I suspect my opinions may change. I'm sure there will be lots of exciting developments!

1 hour ago, Dave609 said:

At the 1:45:00 mark is where the halftime performances begin.

Doesn't show a lot of their visual aspect of the show, but you do get a chance to hear their music

It’s nice to hear the Crown 2019 opener again, and Argyle played it every well. However, and maybe it’s just me, their brass seems to be struggling a little, but ofc it’s super hot and they will clean it up. Excited to see how this one turns out!

Melissa sounds really good, but I feel like the need to add more variety in their opener, especially if where they stopped is where they go into the ballad. I just feel like we’re hearing the same thing for however long it was, hopefully they do something, but it was just brass heavy paint it black for like 3 minutes.