UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

19 minutes ago, certified reed eater said:

It's interesting to me that they still haven't determined the site for the competition, could we possibly see a different venue for the even conferences this upcoming season? Or is it just a courtesy until the Alamodome has officially been reserved?

it will most likely be at the Alamodome. They did this in 2021 as well when they were getting information finalized.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, SleepySeal said:

I’m confused, if someone would like to clarify. I thought the 6A SMC occurred every other year on even years. And 5A odd. I know 6A happened in 2021 but was due to skipping out 2020 because the pandemic. 

Why is the SMC held back to back all of a sudden?

There was a new rule change allowing for all divisions 1A-6A to have the state contest every year. It’s something that’s been pressed for some time by some groups for a whole and was finally passed recently.

Oh wow, very neat. And increases the chances of seeing new faces at the state level. Just wish it was put into place when I was in hs. Will this year be the first year?

17 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

There was a new rule change allowing for all divisions 1A-6A to have the state contest every year. It’s something that’s been pressed for some time by some groups for a whole and was finally passed recently.

7 minutes ago, SleepySeal said:

Oh wow, very neat. And increases the chances of seeing new faces at the state level. Just wish it was put into place when I was in hs. Will this year be the first year?

Yeah same here man. Got 2 area runs and always getting so close to state. And yes, this will be the first time other than 2021 that they start doing this where state is yearly for all conferences

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah same here man. Got 2 area runs and always getting so close to state. And yes, this will be the first time other than 2021 that they start doing this where state is yearly for all conferences

Same here. Although area once for me. Harker Heights was my school. I believe this will be one of the most competitive and entertaining seasons. As bands step it up and change things immediately to get a shot at state. 

What school did you attend? Any progression since?

1 hour ago, SleepySeal said:

Same here. Although area once for me. Harker Heights was my school. I believe this will be one of the most competitive and entertaining seasons. As bands step it up and change things immediately to get a shot at state. 

What school did you attend? Any progression since?

I went to Lovejoy in Lucas/Allen Texas(2018-22)My freshmen yeah was our first time placing top 3 at any comp(got 3rd twice that year), so we had a ton of momentum going into 19, a state year. We won(for the first time in program history) 2 contest, but finished 6th at Area B after getting 4th in prelims. Noting in 20 bc of Covid and 21 was alright, finished 9th at area finals. But last year, they won a comp and got 7th at boa waco, making boa finals at their first boa comp, so I was very excited for them about that, especially after finishing 9th yet again at area, but 5A area b is so hard to make state from. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Gonna try and revive this early along with 5A, but any of yall predicting some new faces/finalists? The senior class is now the class most effected by covid IMO for high school, with the freshman now barely effected by COVID being their 1st year (which does depend on the teaching of the middle schools but generally teachers can run them through the basics fast after a year), so Im expecting some shift in power in the middle portion of bands and curious if anyone has some takes.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, TrenBS said:

Gonna try and revive this early along with 5A, but any of yall predicting some new faces/finalists? The senior class is now the class most effected by covid IMO for high school, with the freshman now barely effected by COVID being their 1st year (which does depend on the teaching of the middle schools but generally teachers can run them through the basics fast after a year), so Im expecting some shift in power in the middle portion of bands and curious if anyone has some takes.

I'm gonna say this is the year Wakeland will make finals. They've had really solid shows for the last 2 years and have been just short of making a finals slot. If they can keep up the momentum I'd say they'll manage to place 10th-14th

9 hours ago, NoCommonSense said:

I'm gonna say this is the year Wakeland will make finals. They've had really solid shows for the last 2 years and have been just short of making a finals slot. If they can keep up the momentum I'd say they'll manage to place 10th-14th

Oh they will easily make finals I feel, they placed 4th in 2021 and they didnt go just because they went over time at region, even if staff changes are rough I dont see them missing finals much less state prelims

My take is that Argyle will not make state, they placed 4th honestly because Wakeland was a no show, so unless they can become better then Lebanon, North, and/or Lone Star I dont see them making unless they have 20 bands at area

14 hours ago, TrenBS said:

Oh they will easily make finals I feel, they placed 4th in 2021 and they didnt go just because they went over time at region, even if staff changes are rough I dont see them missing finals much less state prelims

My take is that Argyle will not make state, they place d 4th honestly because Wakeland was a no show, so unless they can become better then Lebanon, North, and/or Lone Star I dont see them making unless they have 20 bands at area

I say Argyle might still have a chance to state this year, but it's really going to depend on show design. For finals last they got 8th, 4th, 4th, for music and 5th, 5th for visuals, and they managed to pass the Colony by 1 point to get 4th. Considering Wakeland practically sweeped area in 2021 I can see them doing the same again, so Argyle can't allow any weaknesses in their show, they're gonna have to go all out, but now that they have seen what 5a competition is like, I believe their show will adapt. The question is, if Argyle does make it again who's gonna get bumped out? 

16 minutes ago, NoCommonSense said:

I say Argyle might still have a chance to state this year, but it's really going to depend on show design. For finals last they got 8th, 4th, 4th, for music and 5th, 5th for visuals, and they managed to pass the Colony by 1 point to get 4th. Considering Wakeland practically sweeped area in 2021 I can see them doing the same again, so Argyle can't allow any weaknesses in their show, they're gonna have to go all out, but now that they have seen what 5a competition is like, I believe their show will adapt. The question is, if Argyle does make it again who's gonna get bumped out? 

You guys do realize you are talking about 5A bands in the 6A discussion right?  🙂 

2 hours ago, DFWSpinz said:

You guys do realize you are talking about 5A bands in the 6A discussion right?  🙂 

I noticed that after I sent lol, went to my notifications on the bottom😂

To make it more on topic, I am expecting from area C to have Prosper, Boyd, and Wylie to make it, with one of them potentially making finals, most likely Prosper if they can cut the fat out of their show.

Im fairly sure we are going to see a repeat of last year but with Hebron on top, and Marcus will most likely place higher from what Ive heard from them.

For new finalists, besides potentially Prosper Im honestly not certain, Im curious if anyone has any groups that they think can break into the top 14

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that some bands wouldn’t be attending UIL State/BOA San Antonio, due to grand national appearances. With this in mind, I think this is definitely a chance for a few bands that happened to place very close to the 14 spots to advance into finals, I know for sure there are more than 4 guaranteed state finalists dropping out of the state contest, I’d love to see bands to move up into those state finals slots, such as Westlake, Cypress Woods, Would love to L.D Bell back up in the ranks, dripping springs, and possibly even bridgeland HS, I heard that bridgeland currently has Mvt 1, and 2 on the field ready to go so this should be an interesting year.

17 minutes ago, Origin said:

I know the bands that aren’t doing BOA SA, but who is skipping state?

This

I understand skipping BOA SA, but skipping state really doesn’t make that much sense. BOA is completely independent while UIL literally sponsors marching band in Texas. I would think that more bands would have a greater respect for State than for BOA SA.

7 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

I heard that some bands wouldn’t be attending UIL State/BOA San Antonio, due to grand national appearances. With this in mind, I think this is definitely a chance for a few bands that happened to place very close to the 14 spots to advance into finals, I know for sure there are more than 4 guaranteed state finalists dropping out of the state contest, I’d love to see bands to move up into those state finals slots, such as Westlake, Cypress Woods, Would love to L.D Bell back up in the ranks, dripping springs, and possibly even bridgeland HS, I heard that bridgeland currently has Mvt 1, and 2 on the field ready to go so this should be an interesting year.

Most all bands are required by their district to attend all UIL events. Also, I think that there is a rule that if you skip a year, you are not eligible to participate the following year after you skip.

Apologies to everyone who read that, I meant to talk about the bands not attending BOA SA, So what I meant there that because of these bands not doing BOA SA, for other bands to move up and take a few finals slots. Guranteed that BOA SA is happening after State this year which doesn’t happen a lot, so that may have contributed to my confusion. Again, my apologies.

• 2 weeks later...