2023 BOA Austin (Sept. 23)

LeanderMomma

18 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Well, my experiences are a culmination of over 50 years of attending marching competitions. In the last 10 years there has been stark increase of people talking during performances, making rude comments about bands with no concern about who may hear them, and just all around inconsiderate behavior. Nothing beats the live performances, but the trade-off of not having to endure the unpleasant things is worth it for me. I do, however, miss the excitement of live performance.

Of course, I’m definitely not saying it doesn’t happen, and it absolutely can sour others’ experienced hearing malice and bitterness like that. I’m just fortunate to not have experiences much of that at all at contests I’ve gone to! 

17 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Of course, I’m definitely not saying it doesn’t happen, and it absolutely can sour others’ experiences hearing malice and bitterness like that. I’m just fortunate to not have experiences much of that at all at contests I’ve gone to! 

Same, lucky us I guess. I must be sitting in the wrong sections haha. I’ll hear or observe some comments here and there but for the most part, my live experiences are great and overall supportive. 

4 minutes ago, GeekBoy54 said:

It's been nearly 24 hours since the end of the competition and the full finals recap is still not available. What happened? Did they lose it somehow?

For all we know there's a sleeping laptop with the final recap currently stuck on the draft submission page alongside it's owner under the assumption it's been posted and taken care of. 🤭 I hope it gets posted soon because these scores are about to be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

For all we know there's a sleeping laptop with the final recap currently stuck on the draft submission page alongside it's owner under the assumption it's been posted and taken care of. 🤭 I hope it gets posted soon because these scores are about to be interesting.

They have been really slow getting them up this year. Maybe they just don't have someone assigned to this task. They've been super quick about it in past years.

25 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

Same, lucky us I guess. I must be sitting in the wrong sections haha. I’ll hear or observe some comments here and there but for the most part, my live experiences are great and overall supportive. 

HEB is a great vibe, the majority of the contests I go in the year happen to be there, so it’s been mainly good times haha 

4 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I didn’t name the school I mentioned trashing mine simply because I don’t stoop down to their level. If I name, I risk getting attacked by people who go to the school, and I am a high schooler myself.

In your position, I totally understand. Too bad the adults don’t always follow the model behavior of the students. 

1 hour ago, Ruprecht88 said:

In your position, I totally understand. Too bad the adults don’t always follow the model behavior of the students. 

In my experience, I’ve seen both. Once at state was the students, and once at Area was the parents (two different schools). Back in when my sister marched (2015-2018, graduated 2019), many of the parents were so nice and supportive. Now, it just feels like some of the parents and kids just trash each other.

5 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

In my experience, I’ve seen both. Once at state was the students, and once at Area was the parents (two different schools). Back in when my sister marched (2015-2018, graduated 2019), many of the parents were so nice and supportive. Now, it just feels like some of the parents and kids just trash each other.

Personally, I think the buck stops at the directors and the kind of culture that they cultivate within their programs. 

1 minute ago, yayband914 said:

Personally, I think the buck stops at the directors and the kind of culture that they cultivate within their programs. 

I definitely agree! If kids are taught that winning is all that matters and about other bands, it promotes trashing other programs. (Probably better way of explaining, but I’ll describe more in the morning).

10 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I definitely agree! If kids are taught that winning is all that matters and about other bands, it promotes trashing other programs. (Probably better way of explaining, but I’ll describe more in the morning).

Yes. I’ve never heard any mention of winning or beating anybody else where I am. The only goals spoken of is to be better than we were the day before. All the people with all the bands have suffered through the same ridiculous heat for hours and hours. While we compete, us band people are all in the same tribe ultimately. 

26 minutes ago, Ruprecht88 said:

Yes. I’ve never heard any mention of winning or beating anybody else where I am. The only goals spoken of is to be better than we were the day before. All the people with all the bands have suffered through the same ridiculous heat for hours and hours. While we compete, us band people are all in the same tribe ultimately. 

Me neither! We are taught to not even mention results.

Did anyone get the feeling that Vandy is still having their show written or that they’re testing / revising more than they usually do?

I watched their prelims performance and the musical design felt very disjointed. I want to say especially in the ballad. 

it felt like the kids are playing the heck out of their show, but that the design is off. Idk. 

3 hours ago, whitewing09 said:

Did anyone get the feeling that Vandy is still having their show written or that they’re testing / revising more than they usually do?

I watched their prelims performance and the musical design felt very disjointed. I want to say especially in the ballad. 

it felt like the kids are playing the heck out of their show, but that the design is off. Idk. 

I don’t think it’s good, didn’t like it

3 hours ago, whitewing09 said:

In my opinion, it feels a little out of place for vandy given their last three years of dynamic shows.

Visually, I'm so used to their beautiful props all around the field that the show as a whole feels kind of "empty" and not as alluring. 

I guess I'm also feeling a little confused on the overall vibe given by the music, but I can say that for a lot of programs this year so far. Although, that trombone gliss is SO GOOD.

BOA Austin felt really... under developed this year compared to the last. It seems like a lot of programs have yet to click with their shows, maybe that's just me though, plus it's only the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

In my opinion, it feels a little out of place for vandy given their last three years of dynamic shows.

Visually, I'm so used to their beautiful props all around the field that the show as a whole feels kind of "empty" and not as alluring. 

I guess I'm also feeling a little confused on the overall vibe given by the music, but I can say that for a lot of programs this year so far. Although, that trombone gliss is SO GOOD.

BOA Austin felt really... under developed this year compared to the last. It seems like a lot of programs have yet to click with their shows, maybe that's just me though, plus it's only the beginning.

I personally felt the opposite except with Vandy. Everyone sounded great, snd we had a lot of programs do better here than ever before. 

17 hours ago, Ruprecht88 said:

This s exactly how my program was, we would occasionally talk about results and how we placed and how they felt about it, it wasn’t a big deal to talk about results. But we never mentioned beating anyone specifically.