2023 BOA Katy (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

my feed friggin' crashed during ctj!! i will say this, what i saw seemed way more energetic. also the flamingo walk thing is the single wittiest design thing in the entire contest.

twhs was great, very controlled performance. waiting for more of an emotional punch. vis design from opener through ballad is prob the prettiest Jon has done for them since 2006. kiiinda drops in quality/imagination in the closer or rather what they have of a closer. kinda impressed they came out on top in prelims w/ an incomplete show.

dont know how you compete with their guard. just on a different level. still waiting for those trick tosses i saw in May tho!!!

amazing job by all of the Bands of America!!

4 minutes ago, packwick said:

my feed friggin' crashed during ctj!! i will say this, what i saw seemed way more energetic. also the flamingo walk thing is the single wittiest design thing in the entire contest.

twhs was great, very controlled performance. waiting for more of an emotional punch. vis design from opener through ballad is prob the prettiest Jon has done for them since 2006. kiiinda drops in quality/imagination in the closer or rather what they have of a closer. kinda impressed they came out on top in prelims w/ an incomplete show.

dont know how you compete with their guard. just on a different level. still waiting for those trick tosses i saw in May tho!!!

amazing job by all of the Bands of America!!

Yeah… wtf Box5.  Same here during CTJ!    “Error..livestream has ended”.  Totally unacceptable as it happened last year as well.  Wish we had choices…..

10 minutes ago, Parkwoodmom said:

Yeah… wtf Box5.  Same here during CTJ!    “Error..livestream has ended”.  Totally unacceptable as it happened last year as well.  Wish we had choices…..

Doesn't look like they learned anything from the catastrophe at Grand Nationals last year. They are regularly crashing with just regionals with a much smaller viewership. The super-regionals are going to be a real pain and I fully expect a repeat of last year's GN's. I guess their solution was to charge more money.

WOAH CY FAIR!!! YESSS! AND BRIDGELAND OVER CTJ!!!

the scores may seem low but i wanna point out two things 1.) i think the shows here have a lot of room for growth and 2.) the early season scores, like at Austin, were really inflated. when i left Katy prelims i told myself, if i were scoring this id prob give the champ an 86ish. exactly what happened!!!

can't wait to see these late season!!

85.900 – The Woodlands H.S., TX
84.950 – Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
83.800 – Cy-Fair H.S., TX
83.000 – Pearland H.S., TX
81.900 – Bridgeland H.S., TX
81.500 – Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
79.150 – James Bowie H.S., TX
78.400 – Dawson H.S., TX
77.950 – Cypress Woods H.S., TX
77.050 – Seven Lakes H.S., TX
76.850 – Friendswood H.S., TX
75.550 – Brazoswood H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance – The Woodlands H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance – The Woodlands H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect – The Woodlands H.S., TX

21 minutes ago, packwick said:

WOAH CY FAIR!!! YESSS! AND BRIDGELAND OVER CTJ!!!

the scores may seem low but i wanna point out two things 1.) i think the shows here have a lot of room for growth and 2.) the early season scores, like at Austin, were really inflated. when i left Katy prelims i told myself, if i were scoring this id prob give the champ an 86ish. exactly what happened!!!

can't wait to see these late season!!

I think when the best band at a contest has an incomplete show and everyone else has a complete (or seemingly complete) show, it probably does depress the overall high score a bit. To be honest, The Woodlands' ending was a little bit of a buzzkill!

That said, my overall impression is that we're probably looking at a rematch of 2013 at Nationals with Carmel and The Woodlands, but with Hebron following TWHS up to Nationals this time, which should make things quite a bit more interesting, given the extraordinary strength of Hebron's music program. That's definitely an area where Hebron very handily beats The Woodlands right now!

3 minutes ago, takigan said:

Seeing Cy-Fair, Pearland and Bridgeland sandwiched amongst TWHS, Reagan, CTJ & Bowie makes me wonder if Houston finally has some new powerhouse groups in their midst aside from just The Woodlands.  We'll see...

I think this may be true, as long as they don't flatline late season! I'm so very, very impressed by what I saw from the Houston groups tonight. As an old-time Region 9er, it thrills me. 🥰

26 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I think when the best band at a contest has an incomplete show and everyone else has a complete (or seemingly complete) show, it probably does depress the overall high score a bit. To be honest, The Woodlands' ending was a little bit of a buzzkill!

That said, my overall impression is that we're probably looking at a rematch of 2013 at Nationals with Carmel and The Woodlands, but with Hebron following TWHS up to Nationals this time, which should make things quite a bit more interesting, given the extraordinary strength of Hebron's music program. That's definitely an area where Hebron very handily beats The Woodlands right now!

my top 3 future projection for Nats has been Carmel, TWHS, and Hebron since that Kentucky regional in mid Sept, buuuut i gotta say that betting against Avon for top 3 is like betting against Meryl Streep not getting an Oscar nomination every time she's in a movie. prob will be wrong lol. twhs could "flatline" as well.

ughhhh im just so happy happy happy for Bridgeland. ive been sounding the alarm on them all season so far!!! and. they. deeelivered!!!

8 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Have not been able to keep up with marching band very much this season, but wow seeing CTJ in sixth is a real shock. I'm sure they're still adjusting in the post-Lipman era but I very much hope to see them bounce back and finish this season strong, I have always been a big fan of that program.

yeah and that's something to keep in mind too about CTJ. Lipman is friggin' legendary. it may take time to adjust.

CTJ in sixth….

I had seen clips and I think my initial predictions were correct. Post-Lipman it’s going to be difficult.

On happier notes it’s good to see The Woodlands with dominance out of the gate, I think they’re contending for an eagle this year despite nobody quite talking about them being in contention.

39 minutes ago, packwick said:

ughhhh im just so happy happy happy for Bridgeland. ive been sounding the alarm on them all season so far!!! and. they. deeelivered!!!

Good eye, for sure! Bridgeland was 2nd in overall visual performance in prelims and 4th in visual GE. 3rd in visual performance in finals, holding onto 4th in visual GE.