2023 BOA Prosper (Oct. 14)

LeanderMomma

On 10/6/2023 at 1:01 PM, CosmicLimbo said:

Duncanville is so tricky for me to predict here. They always seem to do well in UIL but then for some reason it doesn’t translate when they do BOA events. In 2018 they got 17th at BOA DFW and then the next week got 5th and advanced to state in Area B. While I could see them making finals, recent patterns make it difficult for me to put them there just yet. 

Yeah, so I think Duncanville just really prioritizes UIL over BOA, and I definitely think their shows these past few years shows. The real difference is that BOA is more of a content/design thing, while UIL is about execution. It really just comes down to can the show look good while executing well at it.

20 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Love the Timber Creek AAAA champion, if they can actually pull it off I’ll be so happy for them! 

I love this idea as well, they could do it considering they beat Keller at HEB and LD Bell in prelims at BOA Bedford. It just requires a strong prelims run.

11 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Yeah, so I think Duncanville just really prioritizes UIL over BOA, and I definitely think their shows these past few years shows. The real difference is that BOA is more of a content/design thing, while UIL is about execution. It really just comes down to can the show look good while executing well at it.

I feel like Duncanville has been dipping their toes into the BOA world with their style of shows. I got very BOA vibes from their show last year with the props and uniforms. I feel their main focus still is UIL but they are trying their shot at BOA with their content. I haven't watched their show this year but based on last year I feel they definitely want a better ranking at this BOA comp, and honestly, they might surprise everyone.

13 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I know everyone loves a good upset or a new band rising to the top of the ranks, but it is worth noting that with all of the success Keller has had over the years, they still do not have a regional title.  

Yeah, I’d say the still have a shot at winning here, but Wakeland is an enormous beast they will have to conquer, but it’s definitely not out of their reach, especially if they’ve cleaned a ton since HEB

2 hours ago, JWork said:

I feel like Duncanville has been dipping their toes into the BOA world with their style of shows. I got very BOA vibes from their show last year with the props and uniforms. I feel their main focus still is UIL but they are trying their shot at BOA with their content. I haven't watched their show this year but based on last year I feel they definitely want a better ranking at this BOA comp, and honestly, they might surprise everyone.

Oh yeah, when I said "these past few years", I meant prior to 2022. But yes, "Downtown" was probably one of my all time favorites shows. I'm really excited to see what they can do with "Tag Team". But I still think they will do well with BOA and UIL at the same time.

17 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I know everyone loves a good upset or a new band rising to the top of the ranks, but it is worth noting that with all of the success Keller has had over the years, they still do not have a regional title.  

That is true. Wakeland, Bell, TC, and Keller are the bands that I currently have as the most likely to take the win here and Keller is the only one out of those to not have a boa regional win. 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah, I’d say the still have a shot at winning here, but Wakeland is an enormous beast they will have to conquer, but it’s definitely not out of their reach, especially if they’ve cleaned a ton since HEB

I agree, I think Wakeland is the favorite.  There will be several bands in contention for medals here though.

This competition really is an Area B finals preview lol (minus Coppell), plus a lot of other great bands.

It would be cool to see Keller finally get a regional win, but Wakeland is looking pretty dominant and has been performing their whole show since HEB, so they’ll only be getting cleaner. Maybe Bell, Timber, or Keller etc. will add the rest of their show and close the gap, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wakeland sweeps like last year.

1 hour ago, ReveriesOp24 said:

Performing at 7:15a is crazy to me 💀 why do these contests have to start so early 

we need more hours in a day only on Saturdays in October

Yeah, I feel for those kids at Lovejoy and the other schools that have to go super early, but I’ve heard they are ready to come out stronger than ever this season and prove themselves they are worthy of the AA champion, but considering how many bands are going, they really need to starts this early, as much as it sucks 

8 hours ago, servingcont_ra said:

Scratch my old predictions here’s the new ones:

1. Wakeland

2. Timber Creek

3. L.D. Bell

4. Southlake Carroll

5. Keller

6. Waxahachie

7. Prosper

8. Keller Central

9. Rock Hill

10. McKinney Boyd

11. Forney

12. Hendrickson

I personally don't see Keller that low; in my eyes, they're still very likely to be in the top 3-4. I do agree with Wakeland being the slight favorite to win here.

L.D. Bell and Timber Creek switched placements at BOA Bedford (7th and 8th place), so I have a feeling they'll be neck and neck at this competition and for the rest of the season. Bell has a relatively short show this year and might have more time to clean stuff in the next few weeks. Both are in my list of finalist bubble bands for San Antonio, but I see TC having better chances of making it in. I could be dead wrong though.

12 minutes ago, balumni2023 said:

I personally don't see Keller that low; in my eyes, they're still very likely to be in the top 3-4. I do agree with Wakeland being the slight favorite to win here.

L.D. Bell and Timber Creek switched placements at BOA Bedford (7th and 8th place), so I have a feeling they'll be neck and neck at this competition and for the rest of the season. Bell has a relatively short show this year and might have more time to clean stuff in the next few weeks. Both are in my list of finalist bubble bands for San Antonio, but I see TC having better chances of making it in. I could be dead wrong though.

Yeah, I don't personally see Keller lower than 4th, It's really hard to place them well since they haven't gone up against Bell yet but if they've done the cleaning needed and have more show on the field, I think they will most likely medal. Really pulling for TC to win class 4A in prelims, but they also seem to drop in finals at these boa regionals, even if it's ever so slightly, but if they can get a medal here that would be huge for them leading into area and the end of the season. 

On 10/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, Origin said:

This competition really is an Area B finals preview lol (minus Coppell), plus a lot of other great bands.

It would be cool to see Keller finally get a regional win, but Wakeland is looking pretty dominant and has been performing their whole show since HEB, so they’ll only be getting cleaner. Maybe Bell, Timber, or Keller etc. will add the rest of their show and close the gap, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wakeland sweeps like last year.

Lot of Area C present as well, aside from the obvious big boys from LISD too haha

On 10/8/2023 at 9:04 AM, RedHot said:

A lot of schools have done this where they are able to do three performances in 1 day prosper did it when i was there, walnut grove is doing it this year, and i’m assuming rock hill will be doing it too unless they got a really inconvenient time for uil.

McKinney is also doing it!

I edited my prediction but I have my final one, and who places where is going to be decided based on whether cleanliness/execution or difficulty/effect is how the judges rank bands, I have my 2 scenarios since a ton of the mid-low finalists are around the same level due to the clean/difficult each band has is around similar
this is if cleanliness is for me:

1. Wakeland
2. Keller
3. Timber Creek
4. L.D Bell
5. Waxahachie
6. Prosper
7. McKinney Boyd
8. Keller Central
9. Southlake Carroll
10. Forney
11. Duncanville
12. Rock Hill

If difficulty weighs more than Boyd will go down to the 9-14 range for me, and Hendrickson would be in finals, and this list  is more of what I personally would like to happen (within realism of course), but this could be drastically different than my or anyone's predictions, which shows how really close this competition is, which I am all for!

Being a teacher…I’m all about looking at growth. If I counted correctly, 10 bands in Prosper competed at BOA Bedford last weekend. Here are their prelim scores/ranks.

Wakeland 84.1 (4)

Timber Creek 82.025 (7)

LD Bell 81.6 (8)

Waxahachi  81.050 (9)

Southlake Carol 80.650 (10)

Keller Central 77.75 (12)

Forney 77.55 (13)

Rockwall.  77.2  (16)

Grapevine 74.55  (18)

Sachse 74.35 (19)

Looking to see how these 10 schools perform in prelims this week as they tune up for Region/Area. 

42 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

I’m very curious how Keller ISD’s Fall Break (no school this whole week) will play into their bands’ success this weekend

A lot of bands have fall break this week, but most of the bands are still rehearsing either the whole week or 2-3 days, so I’d be very surprised if the KISD schools didn’t rehearse at all 

37 minutes ago, PercussionDad said:

I’d love to see Berkner sneak back into finals after several years of not making it. They beat Lake Ridge at Mansfield a couple weeks ago and have a really strong music program. 

Definitely could see this possibly happening, but it won’t be easy with how stacked this comp is