2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

Westlake and "Friendship" High School did great! 😉😄

Brownsburg had just the cutest show about a chicken coop. I love how the scenes inside changed as the building rotated.

Loved Mt. Carmel's staging, probably the best in SO this year. Also maybe my favorite use of doors in a long time. The rhythmic slamming of them was a cool aural effect. It went well with Glass' chilly music from The Hours.

William R. Boone, I'm pretty sure they were the ones who did the odd silence show last year. This year it's like a physical anthropology lesson. Weird, weird, weird! But very talented performers.

Somerset Academy with Rifles, Ropes, and Rhinestones. Okay, the title is probably one of my favorites ever. So much sassiness, I loved it. They can SPIN.

What more can be said about Palm Desert Charter Middle School? They've slayed so many high school guards this year. It's crazy how talented they are.

22 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

A bit off-topic, but does anyone follow the WGI percussion events? I know there are two types of events - concert and movement, but I can't figure out which of these will be held next week. Both? Concert? Movement? The schedules don't appear to indicate. Any help would be appreciated. 

Unless they've changed it, the concert and marching events are held the same weekend at Dayton.

Another fun and campy show from Vox Artium, this time about a killer bride. 😄

I watched ORIGINS Open as well. They did an outstanding job. They had one really exposed soloist drop on the multicam, but overall not a big deal. Vox had some pretty exposed drops as well.

49 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Unless they've changed it, the concert and marching events are held the same weekend at Dayton.

I assumed that, but I can't distinguish which event is which. Obviously not a percussion person, but willing to learn. I have a nephew in middle school and want to expose him to what is possible as a percussionist. I had the good fortune to have someone expose me to great musicians on my instrument and it set my expectations at a high level. You don't know what good is until you are shown it.

I've been watching. About to catch Miamisburg. My favorite so far is Kiski Area. I just love the look of the show. They're definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with very soon. They've already got all those very tricky double turns under the rifles down pat!

Cleveland was another one that I found super impressive. The Steering Committee made good decisions for both them and El Dorado.

Overall this finals has already been much stronger than last year's. Good to see.

WOW AVON! They really want to be in the top 3! I personally feel like TW's show is more difficult overall, so if they do great like we know they will, I think this will be the first time in a long time Avont isn't in top 3, unless somehow one of the next 3 don't do as good. Great season for them regardless and I mean wow what a final show! 

2 minutes ago, Origin said:

TWHS has been consistently ON FIRE for like three weeks. They have not had a single performance that wasn’t spectacular. I saw zero drops. Easily one of my favorite shows this year. So freaking good. 

I'm a really big fan of the sound this year! It just so simple yet such a vibe, especially the parts when they move the box-props forwards at the beginning and after the ballad.