2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

9 hours ago, packwick said:

oooooo, me likey this vid of twhs. way higher up and takes the glare off the gold part of the floor. looks much prettier here. too bad angle is off to the side tho.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfbsBBagnNk

anybody find Westlake yet? i feel like everyone else is on YT now but them.

The Woodlands has become one of my favorites this year. I just can't stop watching their show!

7 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

The Woodlands has become one of my favorite favorites this year. I just can't stop watching their show!

hmmm i am liking it more now that it's cleaner and i can see it from an elevated perspective. kinda strange high-art sci fi. still think they'll be anywhere 2nd to 4th goin into dayton. pleasantly surprised if higher, unpleasantly if lower lol.

I'm taking a look at the results from the SFWGA (South Florida) championships, which is probably the last major event before Dayton. Finals wrapped up yesterday; prelims was a week ago. The most interesting result: West Broward came out on top over Stoneman Douglas in both prelims and finals. That's a shift from Palm Beach a few weeks ago, although the scores there were close. In finals, WB bested SD by nearly 2 points, with a panel that was all active WGI judges. Scores in the upper 80s, thank goodness. World Finals should be a lot stronger this year.

top ranked open + last year's A champion Somerset Academy for your viewing pleasure

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfIsFfbGxZE

ummmm, an Orville Peck show? yaaass please! ugh finally some good taste in music. one of the small number of country artists i appreciate, among the strongest voices in pop music too. it's like him and Shakey Graves, who's barely country anymore, and a few other bluegrass ones like Trampled By Turtles and then thats it. all the other mainstream country artists can go make out w/ their pickup trucks or whatever.

12 minutes ago, Origin said:

I love Kiski Area’s set design. Top-notch performance too. They make sure we hear every catch! 

Same can be said for Arcadia. Amazing performance and design. TWHS, Arcadia, and Kiski Area were my favorites in the first group, in that order. 

Love love love Carmel. I specifically love how weapon-heavy the show is while still maintaining a laid-back casual coolness. 

Between TWHS, Tarpon, and Carmel, I don’t think there’s a clear leader. All were so good! I think TWHS had the fewest drops but that obviously doesn’t equate to a higher score. 

And of course Avon hasn’t gone yet.

16 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

also quick question, between prelims, semis and finals, does it seem to be that guards, mainly in the top 10 or so don't shift a ton in placement kinda like marching band, or is movement not super "rare"? 

wgi does a reverse placement order for semis and finals in the world classes which def helps keep guards in the same placement neighborhood as prelims. don't typically see changes thaaaat drastic.

workin'. managed to step out to record twhs prelims but didn't watch any others. great performance, just a couple of half catches and drops near the end, nothing very exposed tho. flags have stepped it up. def more uniform today than last week.