UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

There’s been a lot of debate about big bands vs smaller ones, but honestly, it’s a formula with the right combination of things. Not all big bands are good. Even money to buy the best shows and equipment won’t work if you don’t build a successful program from the ground up that I believe quite frankly starts in the feeder schools. You can throw all the money in the world at a program, but size and money are not the be-all end-all, and do not automatically equal success. 

With that said, success definitely begets success. And you’ll have that when you have a fine arts department committed to building a program (and yes, willing to recognize the value in spending some money to do it), when your staff is willing to spend the effort in time and sweat equity to get there, when you’ve earned the support of the community, and when you are also able to attract and inspire your students to work hard to achieve. Then, success will come. 

Commitment + Staff + Hard work + Support + Money.  

Frisco and Leander have very similar demographics. Tech heavy upper middle class. In other words, lots of "nerds" that played in band when they were in school that have money, time and resources to help and support. Lots of stay at home or work from home parents. 

The interesting about CP is that won a few state championships in football and other sports also, but somehow band is still what the cool kids do. Choosing between football/sports or band is a real dilemma for incoming freshman. 

8 hours ago, Spirit said:

There’s been a lot of debate about big bands vs smaller ones, but honestly, it’s a formula with the right combination of things. Not all big bands are good. Even money to buy the best shows and equipment won’t work if you don’t build a successful program from the ground up that I believe quite frankly starts in the feeder schools. You can throw all the money in the world at a program, but size and money are not the be-all end-all, and do not automatically equal success. 

With that said, success definitely begets success. And you’ll have that when you have a fine arts department committed to building a program (and yes, willing to recognize the value in spending some money to do it), when your staff is willing to spend the effort in time and sweat equity to get there, when you’ve earned the support of the community, and when you are also able to attract and inspire your students to work hard to achieve. Then, success will come. 

Commitment + Staff + Hard work + Support + Money.  

Well said. It’s a combination of several things to make a program successful. Having a supportive Fine Arts Dept. Hiring the best band directors. Giving them the budget to hire the best show designers and music arrangers. Trust me, you don’t want me doing any of that. I know nothing about music. Putting kids in uniforms that make them feel proud. Getting good equipment so they’re not using broken down used items. Starting to get the kids interested and playing well EARLY in middle school to help build up the program. But the most important thing is execution, no matter how big or small a band is. If you’re not playing or marching well, you won’t go far. 

45 minutes ago, MelloMan06 said:

As someone from an FISD Program I absolutely agree, we are lucky to have the funding that we do, but most/all schools have our own fundraising programs internally outside of district funding. Which we work for, and we work toward the goal of state finals. The smaller school model works for our district, and we all work extremely hard to get where we are.

Very similar to Leander ISD. Loads of fund raising year round. High yearly dues.  The marching program consumes about 75% of the yearly budget when the band is not traveling out of state in the spring. 

4 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I'm not sure why you think making multiple 5A schools in the same district is a bad thing.  I can see how it bothers you from a competitive standpoint, but they do it for the quality of education the students are able to receive and the increased opportunities for each individual.  I would never call that a bad thing.

Never said it was a bad thing and it doesn't bother me. I was just going off numbers of bigger bands vs smaller bands in the Finals. The numbers speak for themselves.

But I don't blame the districts either. It's the smart thing to do. More schools, more fine arts, more education, more kids, more growth, more opportunities, more wins, more revenue, more money, etc. 

I got it. Win win for them.

4 hours ago, Spirit said:

I’m from Frisco, and have been since the boom started here around 2001. When we moved here there was exactly ONE high school, so there has been NO ‘conversion’ of schools to make them smaller. I would kindly ask you to not spread misinformation about a situation you know nothing about. Frisco made a decision from the get-go that we wanted a ‘smaller’ school model, and we have continued to maintain that since the start. It gives our kids far more opportunities to participate in things, and there’s absolutely NOTHING whatsoever wrong with wanting that. 

Frisco ISD isn’t the only school district with three high schools in finals. There is another school district that has fielded three bands in finals, and that district usually ends up sweeping the medals. Why are you focusing your ire at Frisco?? Why is there any ire at all for any program?? 

Never said it was a bad thing and it doesn't bother me. I was just going off numbers of bigger bands vs smaller bands in the Finals. The numbers speak for themselves.

But I don't blame the districts either. It's the smart thing to do. More schools, more fine arts, more education, more kids, more growth, more opportunities, more wins, more revenue, more money, etc. 

I got it. Win win for them and well you since you're from Frisco lol.  👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

22 hours ago, RRBND27 said:

Exactly!!!!! I've been saying this all along! Big facts! If you are out here in the DFW metroplex then know about the the Friscos, Prospers, Lewisville, etc.

They've built so many new schools literally a few miles from each other and converted what could've been 2 or 3 6A schools to making them all 5A smh ( Frisco ISD ) 

Lebanon Trail, Wakeland, Lonestar? 😲 3 out of the 251 schools from the same district in the 5A State Championship finals? So unreal.

Money talks .. MONEY absolutely talks for sure!! 🎯

Anyone want to look at Title 1 versus non-Title 1 schools? Probably not. 

3 hours ago, teacherman said:

Anyone want to look at Title 1 versus non-Title 1 schools? Probably not. 

If I interpreted the TEA 2020 data correctly, the following are Title 1 schools that participated in 5A State. Everyone else isn't Title 1.

Roma (10)
Poteet (17)
Pflugerville (22)
Pioneer (25)
North Mesquite (26)
J.M. Hanks (28)
Sharyland (30)
PSJA North (31)
Pine Tree (32)
Lopez (33)
Pace (34)
Lubbock (35)

It's worth noting that there are very successful non-Title 1 high schools with several MS/JH/ES feeders listed as Title 1. Low income percent also varies a lot depending on the school, ranging from the 40s to almost 100%. From TEA's figures, there wasn't a clear trend between placement and low income percentages.

Do what you will with this information.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:11 AM, MikeKyu said:

So, while I think Rouse is going to have an amazing season I am not 100% sold on them over Cedar Park. I believe that this Rouse show is going to hurt some feelings throughout the season. At Austin BOA, Rouse made their points against Cedar Park in music. cedar Park tends to wait until the last 2 weeks to really clean up music and dynamics. they have always struggled in the GE department. This season the show is not only a GE monster but it also does what no other 5A band is doing --exposing every member while placing high demand on them. This season feels a lot like 2019 when Rouse beat CP at every show....until finals at UIL. This season I just don't see Requiem having the top end finish8ng kick that I can see developing from Cedar Park. I believe they are going to finish 1-2 in UIL this season but I get the feeling thay they places are going to switch in either semi-finals or finals. Excited to see how it turns out, especially with this most likely being CP's last year in 5A. 

I'm just a lurker here but I was reading through this entire thread the other day after Finals, and just had to register in order to quote this post.

WOW, how prophetic!  

Both of these shows were outstanding, and what a treat to get to watch them compete and evolve throughout the year.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Wakeland and Forney's shows at State, and of course Leander. 

I count myself as very fortunate to be able to enjoy so much excellent music and marching here in the Great State of Texas.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, ClutchATX said:

I was told by a few people that one of the Percussion judges is notoriously inconsistent with other judges which is why the Percussion scores so much different from the ones in preliminaries. 

My son who is a freshman told me there were lots of tears last night from the seniors and all the underclassman that will miss them. He got a couple notes from the seniors that made him tear up. I don't know if this normal, but it's probably one of the things that I really appreciate about our experience with the LISD band program. I know the term servant leader is overused these days but I think it's definitely the best description of the upperclassmen I've interacted with. 

Late reply, but after our finals run; every single senior was crying their eyes out, myself included. We cried long enough that flutes and clarinets couldn’t take their instruments back to the bus, so we had to bring them to full retreat.

8 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

I think this is a very common misconception when it comes to a lot of these bands. I don't know a single school district that gives their bands a full budget to fund the entire show. Leander raised over 100,000 dollars through their March-a-thon fundraiser and every last dollar was spent on the show. Transportation, food, contest registration, props, drill, music, etc. These bands work extremely hard on and off the field to make everything happen. 

we raised 70k through marchaton and have also used all the money from concession stands and other fundraisers to make these shows possible.

3 hours ago, natertater21000 said:

Exactly, School districts don't just hand the band program a mountain of cash and say "now go win state!"

exactly! We have to work for that! that’s what frustrates me, I used to think that schools did that until this year when I realized that. wish I had realized this sooner.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Flute goddess said:

I think Lebanon Trail has a fair chance too. As some posted before Wakeland has all new directors, will be interesting to see if they can come together that quickly.

I’m glad Wakeland did well despite new directors.   But the best part was that they had FUN this year. There were too many restrictions in the past, and I feel like it affected them because they were so exhausted and mentally worn down all the time.  

4 hours ago, 3rdGenBand said:

I’m glad Wakeland did well despite new directors.   But the best part was that they had FUN this year. There were too many restrictions in the past, and I feel like it affected them because they were so exhausted and mentally worn down all the time.  

Can you elaborate? I’ve only heard great things about their previous staff and how much the kids loved them so I’m a bit confused