UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

Incredible performance from Lebanon Trail to open up finals! Love the "River Flows Through You" pre-show!!! Plenty of showcasing of the different ensembles throughout the band as well as full ensemble moments! Guard was a treat to watch, and I love the different snowflakes we get to see throughout the show. Really enjoyed that performance, great final's performance Lebanon Trail!!! 

3 hours ago, Tailgate88 said:

Huge props to the crazy marching band machine you all have in your district.  It has to be the premier example of a district and parents supporting their kids across an entire district in the country.  I have to wonder though - do you guys start training those kids to march in Junior High?  What about guard - are there colorguard schools the young 'uns start going to like the dance/gymnastics type schools elsewhere?  It's astonishing to me that you all are able to put such a quality product on the field with only 8 hours a week of rehearsal.  I have always though it would be cool if they started teaching some of the marching skills at the Jr. High level, wondering if anyone is actually already doing that?

Anyway, congrats.  Love watching the schools from LISD perform!

No marching in middle school but some of the section directors teach middle and highschool so they have the kids for 7 years. 

Vandegrift specifically is in a fairly wealthy area of Austin so most of their color gaurd/dance team has been doing it since they were 2 years old. 

The rest of the district, the color guard start in the summer before freshman year. The biggest thing is that the older kids are encouraged to really take the younger kids under their wing so the kids want to join. Lots of leadership within the band.  

Friendswood

Stephen Sondheim would have loved watching your performance today. Great job! The energy at the beginning built a lot of excitement and you kept it throughout the performance, even during the ballad. Then you all picked it up even more as the show continued.  Congratulations!!

WOW Friendswood! First time seeing their show this year and I'm BLOWN away!!! Guard was AMAZING all throughout the show! That quartet was incredible, that clarinet was sooo good! Love the design and music of the show so much, very reminiscent of TW's 2019! Great sounds all around, brass is playing with such mature articulation and style, very much in love with that show, amazing job Friendswood! 

Though the results can often be a bit hairy, I love that the judging of UIL allows schools with a larger minority enrollment to shine better than the BOA system does. Going from Friendswood to Roma back-to-back is very unique, and highlights the excellent performances occurring all across the state- something BOA doesn’t quite capture.