UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

1 hour ago, BandKid_2 said:

@clarinetistkai05 @tennertrumbow I’m so excited to preform with y’all in finals, and see y’all at full retreat

5 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

Thank you! excited to share the field with you guys for my last time :)

We all have to meet at full retreat! (I’ll prob dm yall with something if I’m able to) Congrats to the both of you guys again, yall were incredible! Good luck and give it everything you have :)

I'm very new to this but I've noticed the scoring is different for UIL than BOA, and the big advantage that Rouse has in Visual and Design didn't have as much weight as in BOA competition. I also didn't realize how seriously the Leander ISD schools took marching band with all 5 schools being among the top bands in the state. 

It's amazing how well all the bands played. The amount of work, teamwork and commitment will carry over to their adult life.

1 hour ago, ClutchATX said:

I also didn't realize how seriously the Leander ISD schools took marching band with all 5 schools being among the top bands in the state.

It's been that way in 6A and 5A for several years. They currently have two 6A schools (Vandy and Vista Ridge) and four 5A schools (Glenn is the other one). Glenn finished 4th at Area behind Liberty Hill and there were only three state slots.

Good luck to everyone competing this afternoon!!! Cant wait to see these bands final performances of the season. This is the end of the line, so give it your all! No matter what the results end up being, y’all have accomplished something so many bands dream of, so be proud of yourself for getting this far. Special shoutouts to @clarinetistkai05& @tennertrumbow!!! 

1 hour ago, ClutchATX said:

I'm a parent of a freshman in the district. The culture is pretty amazing from the band directors to the students to the parent booster organization. Lots of organization and fundraising. It takes a village. 

Huge props to the crazy marching band machine you all have in your district.  It has to be the premier example of a district and parents supporting their kids across an entire district in the country.  I have to wonder though - do you guys start training those kids to march in Junior High?  What about guard - are there colorguard schools the young 'uns start going to like the dance/gymnastics type schools elsewhere?  It's astonishing to me that you all are able to put such a quality product on the field with only 8 hours a week of rehearsal.  I have always though it would be cool if they started teaching some of the marching skills at the Jr. High level, wondering if anyone is actually already doing that?

Anyway, congrats.  Love watching the schools from LISD perform!

18 minutes ago, Tailgate88 said:

Huge props to the crazy marching band machine you all have in your district.  It has to be the premier example of a district and parents supporting their kids across an entire district in the country.  I have to wonder though - do you guys start training those kids to march in Junior High?  What about guard - are there colorguard schools the young 'uns start going to like the dance/gymnastics type schools elsewhere?  It's astonishing to me that you all are able to put such a quality product on the field with only 8 hours a week of rehearsal.  I have always though it would be cool if they started teaching some of the marching skills at the Jr. High level, wondering if anyone is actually already doing that?

Aside from a very brief (usually 2 or 3 evenings in may) marching band camp for the incoming 8th graders, they are not taught any marching fundamentals at the middle school level.

A fairly decent number of the middle schools in Leander ISD do have guard programs that primarily teach the fundamentals of flag work. 

1 minute ago, crunchycookie3 said:

It should also be noted that there is no strings/orchestra program in Leander ISD. If kids are instrumentally inclined, they WILL join band.

Ah - I did not know that!  Well that's definitely a way to have bigger and better bands - get all your musicians in one basket so to say.  Smart.

7 minutes ago, Tailgate88 said:

There are some middle school guard programs in the district. At Cedar Park Middle School they do not teach marching. That being said, the band directors and assistants are highly involved with helping to bring the middle schoolers along. Occasionally sections will be chosen to rehearse with the middle schoolers. This is part of the district's principles that academics, athletics, and arts are equal. 

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Good luck to everyone competing this afternoon!!! Cant wait to see these bands final performances of the season. This is the end of the line, so give it your all! No matter what the results end up being, y’all have accomplished something so many bands dream of, so be proud of yourself for getting this far. Special shoutouts to @clarinetistkai05& @tennertrumbow!!! 

Also @SaxA41 and @krustyjoe, they’re marching finals too!