2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

45 minutes ago, Warehouse314 said:

Not sure if you were watching Box5 but in person that was Brownsburg's best performance of the year... without a doubt.  They will be performing in Finals Saturday night.

Please re-read. I said they weren't as strong as I expected them to be. Doesn't matter where I watched them. Didn't say this wasn't their best performance. 

1 minute ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Please re-read. I said they weren't as strong as I expected them to be. Doesn't matter where I watched them. Didn't say this wasn't their best performance. 

Didn't mean it that way at all... very sorry if it came across that way.  I was just saying that of the 4 times I've seen it "live" that particular run was their best. 

Again, didn't mean to downplay your thoughts.  I was just wondering if it might have been due to it being viewed on Box5.

17 minutes ago, TXguy512 said:

I missed Carmel (will surely see them on Saturday heh), but did catch CTJ and they had one heck of a run! I expect we’ll see them perform twice more this weekend and place very well when it’s all said and done. 🦩 

They have a tough road considering they drew #1 in semifinals. I would love to see the show 2 more times. 

51 minutes ago, TXguy512 said:

I missed Carmel (will surely see them on Saturday heh), but did catch CTJ and they had one heck of a run! I expect we’ll see them perform twice more this weekend and place very well when it’s all said and done. 🦩 

Carmel was simply on another level. I absolutely won’t be surprised if they take the Eagle this year. 

i was driving and recording the bands lol. couldn't watch em at the time but could hear em. musically when i heard carmel in the car i was very impressed. dont let ppl who have no idea what they're talking about fool you, this is a very challenging music book performed very well, and on the move!!! they'll post big music scores. we'll have to see what TX brings tomorrow.

watching the shows now that im not driving, both very very impressive but my truthful opinion is that i thought both A and C would be a bit cleaner. still some transitional forms not quite locking into place before they move to the next set, esp in moments w/ dense vertical orchestration which i know are hard for staff to clean. the ens flags not quite together either. in Avon it's right off the bat too w/ the arc of flags in the opener, that's been dirty the whole season. usually a bit more unison by Nats.

ofc great shows overall, im just more nitpicky w/ the top dawgs.

14 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Carmel's shows are always written to optimize scoring across the board and this one is going to score well.

i view it more as the show is written to optimize artistry, tho the fact that both Saucedo and Gaines judge for the big 3 may influence their approach to artistry, trying to maximize the emotional, the intellectual, and the aesthetic.

there's also the question of whether it's optimized to the sheets when the creation of the sheets themselves was influenced by basic design principles that could just as easily be influencing the designers. things like balance, variety, contrast, proportion, alignment, negative space, blah blah blah.