2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

11 minutes ago, Josegjr said:

Question how many advance to semifinals?

1. The 11 highest scoring from each panel, 22 bands total, regardless of class.
  2. The next 8 highest scoring bands, regardless of panel or class.
  3. The highest two scoring bands in each class, if they are not already in the group mentioned above, will also advance.

So a minimum of 30 bands will advance.

28 minutes ago, 18Saxophones said:
  3. The highest two scoring bands in each class, if they are not already in the group mentioned above, will also advance.

And usually 32-34

42 minutes ago, 18Saxophones said:

Thank you

On 11/7/2023 at 6:33 PM, BandFan59 said:

Jarrett Lipman, their longtime head director, left the school after last year. Though schools like Vandegrift and the Woodlands have been able to weather head director changes very well, the first few years after a change are always difficult, especially for a school moving on from someone as influential as Lipman has been.

Saw them at Area D competition and they looked smaller than what I've seen in years past. One of the parents said they had 75 to 80 seniors last year and about 40 incoming freshman. They were still very, very good just not as dominant as they were 5 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, Hack said:

James Bowie did great! Pearland next Texas band in this panel. Very early but we should show very well.

Very excited to hear this about Bowie! Hoping to see them in finals on Saturday- I was unable to catch them this afternoon! Everyone is raving about their flugelhorn soloist on other forums. It must have been fantastic!

19 minutes ago, Warehouse314 said:

Not sure if you were watching Box5 but in person that was Brownsburg's best performance of the year... without a doubt.  They will be performing in Finals Saturday night.

I just caught a recording of it off of someone’s Box 5- I thought they were performing quite well! I thought the ending was the most impactful part of their whole show: the idea that what if everything we just watched was a pipe dream? Outside of that, I felt some big disconnect between the music and GE that I think some TX groups can cover (Keller specifically comes to mind) and I felt that the field design was a bit too familiar to other Cartwright shows in recent memory. All personal taste! I think they could be in finals, but if we’re calling that a full on lock for finals, I fear we will see at least 20 “locks” by the time the last band performs on Friday. All of these bands are about to throw down with stellar performances in hopes of finals!

17 minutes ago, nightlife said:

Okay so it looks like we’ll have probably at least 3 Cartwright shows in finals. 
I cannot personally stand the design, but each band performing those shows is doing so extremely extremely well, so kudos to the staff and performers for that!

As for the design…

these shows lack emotion, story, diversity, etc. It seems like they pick an Emoji with one or two colors and build a show around that. And it only seems to work with larger bands. Block here, curvilinear there, pods there, etc. 
Pearland: 🌕 

brownsburg: 🪈

Mason:

Prosper: 🇨🇱 

broken arrow:  

Bentonville: 🌻 

Honorable mentions:

Pearland 2022: 🦄 

broken arrow 2019: 🤠

Prosper 2022: 🪑 

I will, however, reiterate that the kids and the staff are doing WONDERFUL things with their shows and each of the aforementioned bands moves and plays like the top bands they are  

LOL ok the emoji thing is pretty great.

i think more effort went into Mason's staging than Pearland's lol, buuuut Pearland > Mason musically. tho i also come from the Eddie Green school of thought, tone quality having supremacy.

1 minute ago, packwick said:

LOL ok the emoji thing is pretty great.

i think more effort went into Mason's staging than Pearland's lol, buuuut Pearland > Mason musically. tho i also come from the Eddie Green school of thought, tone quality having supremacy.

Yeah I agree with the staging thing.

both Pearland and Brownsburg are in the tier of shows that have the sameeee exact drill moves: 

clump with squiggle attached

block on front hash with guard/dance in front 

block on the 50

huge arc across the front

random pods? 

arranging the props in small triangles or circles