UIL 5A Area B 2022

19 minutes ago, Flute goddess said:

Wakeland might have had some technical issues but went over way more than that. I was in attendance and I would say they where at least 1 minute over time.y

And if you time their DFW BOA performance their show is already over 8 minutes. I think they simply gambled and lost.

It's also worth to mentioned that they initially got a sweepstake 1 rating which wasn't charged until this afternoon.

It’s sad for UIL to change up something that they already gave out preventing a band from advancing to Area. And I’m pretty sure the buzzer went off with only 20 seconds or so left in their show. At least one minute is quite an exaggeration

9 minutes ago, Atomic3308 said:

It’s sad for UIL to change up something that they already gave out preventing a band from advancing to Area. And I’m pretty sure the buzzer went off with only 20 seconds or so left in their show. At least one minute is quite an exaggeration

Reminds me of when Keller lost the area title in 2018 due to an applied rule that only worked for state, but on a much larger scale.

32 minutes ago, Flute goddess said:

Wakeland might have had some technical issues but went over way more than that. I was in attendance and I would say they where at least 1 minute over time.y

And if you time their DFW BOA performance their show is already over 8 minutes. I think they simply gambled and lost.

It's also worth to mentioned that they initially got a sweepstake 1 rating which wasn't charged until this afternoon.

I think it’s ridiculous that they were told they were going to be able to perform at area and then get it taken away from them. I cant imagine how those kids must be feeling right now. The timing rules are not tailored for all bands and it is not their fault that their show was a little longer than 8 minutes. For a band that is doing so well this season I personally think it’s super unfair that they were given sweepstakes just to get it taken away. Yeah there were technical issues but that wasn’t their fault either. 

For those who don't know already, Wakeland will now be going to the Duncanville competition. with all that happened at region and everything else, here are my final predictions: 

1st: Lonestar 

2nd: Lebanon Trail 

3rd: Lovejoy/Independence 

4th: Lovejoy/Independence 

5th: Centennial 

6th: Mckinney North 

7th: Argyle/Princeton 

8th: Argyle/Princeton 

9th: The Colony 

10th: Melisa/Liberty/Heritage/Reedy 

40 minutes ago, box6 said:

I think it’s ridiculous that they were told they were going to be able to perform at area and then get it taken away from them. I cant imagine how those kids must be feeling right now. The timing rules are not tailored for all bands and it is not their fault that their show was a little longer than 8 minutes. For a band that is doing so well this season I personally think it’s super unfair that they were given sweepstakes just to get it taken away. Yeah there were technical issues but that wasn’t their fault either. 

I agree on the part that the rule violation wasn't called out right away. That timeline is a bit questionable on the UIL part. But they should have known that they would be in trouble with a show that's 8:30 to start with.

I'm sad for the kids since this wasn't on them in any way.

11 minutes ago, Sopranosaxman said:

I agree, but I would still say that if wakeland had another mediocre run, it would be very possible for lone star to swoop in on them and come pretty close to winning.

We’ll agree to disagree, I just really can’t see a scenario where Lone Star could get close to the level Wakeland is at right now.

Lone Star will continue to grow but for this season at least we’ve seen Wakeland have a bad run (Bedford Prelims) and still place solidly ahead several groups.

6 hours ago, lost said:

We’ll agree to disagree, I just really can’t see a scenario where Lone Star could get close to the level Wakeland is at right now.

Lone Star will continue to grow but for this season at least we’ve seen Wakeland have a bad run (Bedford Prelims) and still place solidly ahead several groups.

The scenario is with three music judges, lone star comes out on top musically, like they did at boa dfw.

16 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

This is so ridiculous.  I know there is no 5A State this year so it doesn't matter much, but Wakeland is easily a top 3 5A band this year and they don't even get to perform at area.  Do they have any other contests?

It would be ridiculous if they let them go to area. The rules are clear. The director failed to make sure the show wasn’t too long. It’s a consequence of the decision to have a show that is 8:20 when the allotted time is 8:00. I’m sure kids are upset, but it’s a lesson for life. Things don’t always go like you plan. Sometimes leaders make mistakes. Life goes on. 

2 hours ago, VannerS said:

The scenario is with three music judges, lone star comes out on top musically, like they did at boa dfw.

Have you seen the difference between wakeland individual and ensemble music at dfw. That was the only reason lone star placed above them in music. And even then wakeland got 5th .135 or something behind coppell and beat lone star by 4 points. This past Saturday they got 19 in individual music finals

10 hours ago, lost said:

As great as Lone Star is I don’t think they’d have beaten Wakeland.

They immediately rectified their poor music performance to sweep all music captions in finals. Looks like they cleaned up those weaknesses pretty quickly.

Wakeland was also four points ahead of Lone Star at Bedford. Great work to Lone Star this season, but I think Wakeland had it in the bag had they competed here.

A significant portion of those points were GE, though, which doesn't factor nearly as much in area, and this was before Lone Star got their show tops. We obviously don't know how Lone Star would do visually with the show tops until area rolls around, but it certainly helps synthesize the show a lot better.

Edit: also not saying wakeland would lose, or that it would even be neck and neck, just that it'd be a lot closer than people think maybe.

Edited by randomeuphonist
Just more context

It seems like it happens to some band every year - technical issues delay the start of the show and result in a time violation and a 2 at Region.  

I've always wondered if there would be some wisdom in the band setting up an emergency ripcord signal.  Have the band pre-determine an emergency stopping point, like before the last part of the show - a place where they would have stopped before they had the entire show on the field earlier in the season.

When there is an issue like that delaying the start, the director tells the drum majors and they give a signal to the band right before starting the show so that everyone knows they are stopping short.

Is that at all feasible?  Just a thought in my head.

7 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

It seems like it happens to some band every year - technical issues delay the start of the show and result in a time violation and a 2 at Region.  

I've always wondered if there would be some wisdom in the band setting up an emergency ripcord signal.  Have the band pre-determine an emergency stopping point, like before the last part of the show - a place where they would have stopped before they had the entire show on the field earlier in the season.

When there is an issue like that delaying the start, the director tells the drum majors and they give a signal to the band right before starting the show so that everyone knows they are stopping short.

Wouldn't be hard at all, we coordinate that all the time with starting points for football games if other bands/drill teams/our own entrance takes longer than anticipated

9 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

Yea, never heard of ending early, but definitely starting in other places.