2022 BOA McAllen (Sept. 17)

1 minute ago, thorn_mont969 said:

I hadn't even considered that Covid is still impacting them in some shape or form. Honestly, I was just very impressed that nearly 50% of tonight's finalists are AA. 

Not only COVID but I believe that inflation has impacted some as well. I was surprised my son's first year in band when it came time to collect dues for the year. And I know of 3 bands that are triple of what we did per year. 

15 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Anyone know when the schedule will be out? 

Here ya go

7:30- Rio Grande City H.S., TX

7:45- United H.S., TX

8:00- Medina Valley H.S., TX

8:15- PSJA Early College H.S., TX

8:30-Pioneer H.S., TX

8:45- Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX

9:00- Roma H.S., TX

9:15- Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX

9:30- Del Rio H.S., TX

9:45- Sandra Day O’Connor H.S., TX

10:00- Sharyland H.S., TX

10:15- John B. Alexander H.S., TX

10:30 -1A Champion Port Isabel H.S

1 minute ago, MikeKyu said:

Here ya go

7:30- Rio Grande City H.S., TX

7:45- United H.S., TX

8:00- Medina Valley H.S., TX

8:15- PSJA Early College H.S., TX

8:30-Pioneer H.S., TX

8:45- Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX

9:00- Roma H.S., TX

9:15- Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX

9:30- Del Rio H.S., TX

9:45- Sandra Day O’Connor H.S., TX

10:00- Sharyland H.S., TX

10:15- John B. Alexander H.S., TX

10:30 -1A Champion Port Isabel H.S

Thank you so much! JBA is in prime position to win this, and I may be a little out of my mind, but could Sharyland pass Roma? If they have a stronger musical performance maybe, as it seems that was the thing that put Roma ahead, as they won visual and GE? And again, they are perfectly in the schedule! Gonna be exciting! 

Yes, JBA is sitting in the hardest spot of the contest, the favorite going into finals. Sharyland absolutely could pass Roma. It seems that their music was considerably lower than Roma in prelims. 

It's now Roma's job to come out for the top half and set the standard. Great spot to be in finals. Sharyland has what I think is one the hardest draw spots for finals, especially being followed by JBA.   

JBA, Brandeis & SDO I have a feeling will be very close. JBA every year seems to bring out the most during their finals performances in McAllen and at Yamaha. This will truly be a great finals run from ALL bands. Very excited to see how Roma places in all of this, with the curiosity of how Sharyland places as well. 

Del Rio, I am really enjoying this show. I wonder if this show was written or arranged by the same person who does CTJ's shows. Some of the similarities are uncanny when it comes to key changes, overtones, and back sections into and out of highlight areas. Whatever, they are doing a wonderful job with this music and drill. I can see them passing Brandeis in finals. 

That Sharyland opener is intense. Nice sound quality as thi show progresses with a good balance. Very cool arrangements going on in this show. I can see why they placed in the top half. Nice show. 

Trombone soloist, nice tone. I'd like to hear it without a mic though so that it's sonically the same volume as the singer. Wow guard flash as the end. This show is going places this season and I am going to be a huge fan as it happens

31 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

Del Rio, I am really enjoying this show. I wonder if this show was written or arranged by the same person who does CTJ's shows. Some of the similarities are uncanny when it comes to key changes, overtones, and back sections into and out of highlight areas. Whatever, they are doing a wonderful job with this music and drill. I can see them passing Brandeis in finals. 

Yeah I thought the same after seeing them! Also can see Sharyland passing Roma after that run! Idk both Roma and Brandies just don’t seem the same from the past to me! 

Eagerly awaiting John B. Alexander....

What a unique choice for introductory music. "Get a job!"

Let's start tipping the scales. 
Guard work on the opening hit and the band movements are a delight. Nice articulation there high brass and a very nice crescendo!
I dig the balance going into Saturn then tipping the scales. 
Low brass knocking some dBs out in a very tasteful way then backing off to allow the woodwinds and high brass in. Great job. Great show. Surpassed my expectations. 

Great job JBA

Wow! Port Isabel. This band is going to do damage everywhere they compete this year. Great spacing, nice sound and an entertaining show. This is why BOA needs to have separate 1A-2A and 3A-4A finals. Lots of great things happening in this show. Great snare line and guard. I like that show a lot.  

17 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Congrats to John B. Alexander! And to all of the finalists!

I still need to sign up for Box5. :(

It's worth it. Tonight I watched most of the finals for McAllen plus got to see Castle, O'Fallon, and Lakota West. I just bought the entire season. $149 which means I can watch BOA Austin and Waco prelims from home plus all of Grand Nats. The sound is good, streams tonight were stable, and camera work wasn't "artistic" and instead focused on the entirety of the show.