2022 BOA Austin (Sept. 24)

Yessss Cedar Ridge!!! I love everything I just saw. They sound like bands twice their size, the guard is awesome, and the overall attention to detail is great. I feel like I fully understand the story their telling, which is rare at this point in the season. The wings and horns on the guard and pit are so cute too.

Just now, BandFan59 said:

Vandegrift was excellent. It's not my favorite show I've seen from them but I thought they were very clean, both musically and visually. I thought Cedar Ridge might've actually edged them out musically for me, but overall I'd have to say Vandegrift was still the best in prelims.

I was going to say the opposite. This was the sloppiest performance I've ever seen Vandy do, however they were still pretty great! Cedar Ridge had the whole thing down, from music to execution. 

I'm really excited to see how this is going to shake out. And good luck to all of the bands out there!

Vandegrift is easily one of the best visual bands in the country. They’re just constantly moving, taking big steps, all while playing difficult and often times exposed passages. The scale they create visually is unmatched here. I’m not fully in love with the show like I was in 2019 and 2021. Because of the insane visual demand, I can definitely hear some strain on the music performance that could definitely leave the music caption open for a number of other groups (but keep in mind I’m watching on the stream). Obviously, the props don’t work in daylight so I’m excited to see how they change things in finals. 

4 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

My personal top 12 after watching everyone from just below the press box today.

Vandegrift
Cedar ridge 
Cedar Park
Vista Ridge
Westlake
Rouse
Hendrickson 
Bowie
Round Rock
Leander
Westwood
Dripping Springs 

Mine is similar, I have Rouse and Hendrickson flipped and round rock and Bowie flipped. 

3 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

I will say that I don’t think cedar ridge passing vandy is impossible based on what I saw and heard today. 

Definitely agree! CR was locked in the entire time and was my personal favorite of the day! Vandegrift was terrific, but there seemed to be some visual miscues. Nonetheless, both shows will develop phenomenally over the season!