BOA Midland 2019

Looking at the Collierville Web site, they have a new director of Bands and Guard in place. One interesting thing is that Collierville has done BOA, but only one event a year. They did not participate in the West Tennessee Band and Orchestra Association Marching Festival for the last several years(This is similar to UIL Region Marching Contest), something you can not avoid in TX.  The Band is fairly large, but not bigger than most Bands here in TX.  They seem to be very strong in Concert Band  I think it will be interesting to seeing what he brings to the Band Scene here.. 

It’s not uncommon for assistant directors to take a larger role in the marching side of things. Head directors obviously play a larger role with concert band. I bet that the impact of this staff change isn’t seen on the field at all.

That remains to be seen.  The head director plays a huge role in almost every competitive marching band (like TC).  I would imagine that at most BOA finalist bands, the HD runs the marching band.  Still, I'm sure that Timber Creek will be great this year!

That remains to be seen.  The head director plays a huge role in almost every competitive marching band (like TC).  I would imagine that at most BOA finalist bands, the HD runs the marching band.  Still, I'm sure that Timber Creek will be great this year!

Actually our assistant BD Mr. Hunter Bown runs the marching band rehearsals and often I've seen change some aspects of the show to fit the needs and was given a lot of leniency. I'd go as far to say that in recent years he's had almost full control of the marching band. The previous HD mainly focused on administrative things and would focus more on the GE and visuals of the show such as guard staging and work, but she also gave leniency to the guard director to figure out the work. I don't see any reason this'll be changed but we have yet to see. Although I believe it to be unwise for the new HD to takeover the marching band his first year with them. 

Isn't it kinda late for these moves? Wow.

Lol my freshmen year of HS we lost literally our ENTIRE staff in the weeks leading up to band camp. Apparently, its never TOO late. 

Wow this is kind of crazy. As far as I know, McBryde and Bown were really the driving forces behind making Timber Creek so great these past few years. Before coming to TC, McBryde was an assistant director at Keller and Bown was a drum major for Carolina Crown in 2013 so they both obviously had a good perspective on the activity. It’s going to be interesting to see how this brand new leadership affects a band that is really really good, especially since the new head director isn’t from Texas or a band that is prominent in the BOA scene. TC is set up with what is going to be an awesome show design and I hope the best for them going forwards. It’s always crazy to lose two amazing directors especially when things are just about to ramp up for the students.

Late moves are the name of the game.

My sophomore year, an assistant director came in right as we started band camp.

He became the marching director by the time I graduated and the program became extremely successful as he transitioned into the head director.

Good move for the ~patriotic~ Frisco school that has Bown now.

Late moves are the name of the game.

My sophomore year, an assistant director came in right as we started band camp.

He became the marching director by the time I graduated and the program became extremely successful as he transitioned into the head director.

Good move for the ~patriotic~ Frisco school that has Bown now.

Liberty?

Independence?

Lone Star?

TC is set up with what is going to be an awesome show design and I hope the best for them going forwards.

I know the show that Keith Potter, Richard Hinshaw, Ryan George, and others were designing was going to be an exceptional show. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how much longer that crew will be employed by Timber Creek (if they haven’t already been fired) or if James will try and bring in his own crew. I know he’s always served as the de facto program coordinator at his past schools, and would imagine he’d consider it a waste of money to pay someone else to hold the role even if that person is Keith Potter and would coordinate an incredibly superior design. I imagine much of the music is already written, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see James poach the design in process and bring in his own drill writer to stage the show.

That's a really good design team!   It would be a shame to mess with that this year.  It seems logical that the new director will keep the team in place this year and I hope that's the case.   For future years it's going to be very hard to be competitive in Texas 6A with a director designed show and not using top notch design teams like the one put in place for T.C.'s show this year (stating the obvious...). 

I've always been confused as to why high school bands from pretty well off districts/cities have trouble keeping directors. And a lot of times, it's seems like these directors just move to other well off places.

One big thing is politics. School districts (like large corps) are full of internal politics.

Of course there are other possible reasons. Just having a potentially large budget is not always as attractive as people often think, especially with the strings that can be attached.