BOA Waco 2019

I remember Frisco Liberty being very strong at BOA Plano in 2016. Could they be a potential finalist here?

If I am talking about the right Liberty (which I think I am), here are there past few results from BOA contests...

BOA Waco 2018-  Show Cancelled

BOA Bedford 2018-  28th Place out of 31 Bands

BOA Southlake 2017-  18th Place out of 26 Bands

BOA Plano 2016-  16th Place out of 31 bands

So you are correct about them being strong at Plano in '16, but I think that if there is a strong lineup at Waco like we all think there will be, Liberty will probably be on the outside looking in.

All the Austin schools have UIL on Saturday now, so barring any impressive schedule rigging, that should make the hunt for finals much, much easier here.

so do all of the schools in the Waco Temple and Killeen areas. The UIL for this region will presumably return to Midway's stadium on this same day which is only about 5 miles away from Waco ISD Stadium. Given that short distance it is likely still viable for some Region 8 schools to attend both if everything happens like it has in previous years

so do all of the schools in the Waco Temple and Killeen areas. The UIL for this region will presumably return to Midway's stadium on this same day which is only about 5 miles away from Waco ISD Stadium. Given that short distance it is likely still viable for some Region 8 schools to attend both if everything happens like it has in previous years

Oops, I forgot BOA Waco has been moved to McLane, but still a fairly short distance

All the Austin schools have UIL on Saturday now, so barring any impressive schedule rigging, that should make the hunt for finals much, much easier here.

Yeah, it's too bad we can't continue to have UIL on a Tuesday, I also hear some of the schools in districts like Pflugerville were going to do UIL with Region 18

DARN IT lol

I wish UIL occurred during the school day for every region so we could have a chance to focus on a larger circuit of competition. i wish there was a national-level competition that runs on advancement through regional final placements like UIL state competition has.

The reason we have over 700 HS Bands playing on Saturday the 19th of Oct is because the Regions that have to travel a distance are loath to take their Students out of Class on a School day.   If you look at the makeup of Region 8, you have 26 Class 4 A through 6A Bands with some coming as far as 90 miles away from Waco.  This also applies in Region 16 with most Schools having to travel to Lubbock, Region 1 Bands have to travel to Amarillo. this also applies to regions in the RGV , East TX and other Regions. All of which are long Bus trips for the Bands.  For most Bands in the Metroplex and Austin, the distance is not so great and more tenable.

As for having UIL be held on School days so that Bands can go to BOA, please be aware that out of the 1350 HS Bands in TX less than 200 compete in BOA events. Having contact  with our Distric Music Programs, I can tell you that most of our schools in my region have no interest in doing BOA . Last year of the 66 HS Bands in Region 8, only 1 attended 1 BOA event. This is probably the case in Regions such as Region 7, Region 14, Region 21, 10  and numerous others.

I am not against BOA and I have no problem with Schools in Larger Areas having UIL Contests during weekdays such as Region 9, and Region 5. Please understand that next year is a 1A, 3A, & 5A Advance to state. Since most of these High Schools, especially in Class 1A & 3A do not enter invitational contests like bigger schools, the Region and Area Contest are both important. As I have been told on many occasions, UIL exists to support Each School in TX..  

The reason we have over 700 HS Bands playing on Saturday the 19th of Oct is because the Regions that have to travel a distance are loath to take their Students out of Class on a School day.   If you look at the makeup of Region 8, you have 26 Class 4 A through 6A Bands with some coming as far as 90 miles away from Waco.  This also applies in Region 16 with most Schools having to travel to Lubbock, Region 1 Bands have to travel to Amarillo. this also applies to regions in the RGV , East TX and other Regions. All of which are long Bus trips for the Bands.  For most Bands in the Metroplex and Austin, the distance is not so great and more tenable.

As for having UIL be held on School days so that Bands can go to BOA, please be aware that out of the 1350 HS Bands in TX less than 200 compete in BOA events. Having contact  with our Distric Music Programs, I can tell you that most of our schools in my region have no interest in doing BOA . Last year of the 66 HS Bands in Region 8, only 1 attended 1 BOA event. This is probably the case in Regions such as Region 7, Region 14, Region 21, 10  and numerous others.

I am not against BOA and I have no problem with Schools in Larger Areas having UIL Contests during weekdays such as Region 9, and Region 5. Please understand that next year is a 1A, 3A, & 5A Advance to state. Since most of these High Schools, especially in Class 1A & 3A do not enter invitational contests like bigger schools, the Region and Area Contest are both important. As I have been told on many occasions, UIL exists to support Each School in TX..  

As for Region 8 i would not surprised if we have several bands at least attempt to attend BOA in some way during 2019. I’m pretty sure the one we had from Region 8 in 2018 was Robinson, and i wouldn’t be surprised to see them do BOA again especially since it is a non state year for 4A. We also have 6A schools such as Belton. From what

I recall, Belton was scheduled for a few BOA events in 2018 but could not perform in any due to issues such as weather. With this Being a non state year i would assume they would be headed for BOA again. My band (Midway) looks poised to begin taking steps toward BOA, it might not be logistically sound for us to host both Region 8 UIL and also attend BOA Waco, but we could attend other BOA contests depending on how our schedule shakes out.

But overall your main point about region 8 still stands. Most of our region is smaller programs who have little to no interest in BOA, and i don’t see the contest being held on a weekday anytime soon.

Frisco Centennial hasn't attended a BOA event in years, I doubt they will travel all the way down to Waco. Wakeland and Liberty signed up for Waco last year, but the region 24 contest is on the same day as BOA Waco this year.

Frisco Lebanon Trail may be attending BOA Dallas because it's the same weekend as Tournament of Champions, and we won that in 2018, so attending it might be redundant.

Frisco Lebanon Trail may be attending BOA Dallas because it's the same weekend as Tournament of Champions, and we won that in 2018, so attending it might be redundant.PEMI

Doubt it, the director at Lebanon Trail taught at Centennial previously, so I assume they will go to TOC even though Lebanon Trail can for sure compete with and place well against the bands at BOA Dallas. Also, Lebanon Trail did extremely well at TOC, so why not go again? Centennial has gone to TOC for years consecutively, as well. I bet LT and Centennial's schedules will mirror each other. Hopefully, PEMI won't get rained out this year...

Doubt it, the director at Lebanon Trail taught at Centennial previously, so I assume they will go to TOC even though Lebanon Trail can for sure compete with and place well against the bands at BOA Dallas. Also, Lebanon Trail did extremely well at TOC, so why not go again? Centennial has gone to TOC for years consecutively, as well. I bet LT and Centennial's schedules will mirror each other. Hopefully, PEMI won't get rained out this year...

Definitely PEMI, but the other LT directors are definitely lobbying for BOA Dallas over TOC, they'd rather compete with a larger group of participants, given that TOC typically only has about 10 bands...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Akins put Waco on their calendar, which confused me because I thought they moved Region 18 to that Saturday. Their calendar has Region on a Tuesday that also says tentative.

Round Rock is performing with Region 18. They're performing out of their regular region so they can attend Waco. It initially showed as tentative on their calendar.It no longer shows as tentative. That was changed just recently.

Round Rock is performing with Region 18. They're performing out of their regular region so they can attend Waco. It initially showed as tentative on their calendar.It no longer shows as tentative. That was changed just recently.

So does that mean they moved Region 18 back to Tuesday?