Dripping Springs HS    3:30 PM

--

Belton HS                     4:15 PM

Clark HS                       4:30 PM

Akins HS                      4:45 PM

Stony Point HS            5:00 PM

Round Rock HS           5:15 PM

That and Capital City Marching Contest.

Well, I mean, sure....But Westlake was the premier UIL preview festival in CenTex back in the early 80s while Cap City wasn't set up until '92.  Westlake always had much larger attendance with more 5A Area finalists, was held in a fancier venue and had a true finals format with BOA style field exits announcing the band's competition placement history.  That's sort of where I'm coming from calling them the "preeminent festival", and it's the fact they're not only smaller than Cap City this year but are so pitifully small that they can't even have a proper finalist winner's circle anymore.  That's what's really sad to me.

Well, I mean, sure....But Westlake was the premier UIL preview festival in CenTex back in the early 80s while Cap City wasn't set up until '92.  Westlake always had much larger attendance with more 5A Area finalists, was held in a fancier venue and had a true finals format with BOA style field exits announcing the band's competition placement history.  That's sort of where I'm coming from calling them the "preeminent festival", and it's the fact they're not only smaller than Cap City this year but are so pitifully small that they can't even have a proper finalist winner's circle anymore.  That's what's really sad to me.

I was just saying that these two were the big contests back then. I attended them both through those years. Anyone going to Westlake?

Round Rock and Dripping Springs are pretty much locks for the top 2 with Round Rock more than likely taking gold. After that, it's gonna be interesting. I'm personally hoping for Belton to upset and take bronze, but Connally and Cedar Creek are also strong enough of programs to possibly take 3rd. 

I'm glad that Dripping does the local band festivals, which are major fund raisers for our local bands. I like supporting area music programs.

BOA is enriching some fat cats elsewhere, and it honestly seems sometimes they're in it more for the money than for the kids (i.e. taking 80 band over 2 days, meaning bands are marching all hours, then finals absurdly late, making for dangerous driving for parents who travel to watch.) I'm not a BOA fan, but I support our band.

Since Westlake only has 10 bands this year, I wonder if they'll still take 10 to finals? Seems like if the number of bands is less than twice the number of finalists, in my special universe, only 1/2 would advance to finals. We'll just basically be seeing the same 10 shows again- why not just call the first time "finals" and let us go home early?:)

Even though I have my own (laundry list of) problems with BOA, they, through Music For All, are a non-profit. Nobody is getting a huge windfall (or small windfall) from BOA. The fall programs in Texas help subsidize Music For All programs in other parts of the nation, and the fall scheduling in general helps subsidize the concert band and choir and orchestra programs, which pretty much never make money and generally lose it. All of this information is readily accessible through various charitable giving watchdogs, as well as BOA’s own disclosures on their website.

I can see that it would be sad if someone was emotionally attached to a particular competition, but you have to realize that every 4 year (kind of) the program of any given school is basically reset and emotional attachments from personal experiences dont really live well though multiple graduation classes. Also I wouldnt really call the outstanding growth of BOA "sad" because its bringing more and more bands into a modern reality of the marching arts. Not saying Westlake is outdated in any way, but the transition from local competitions to more large-scale regionals and super regionals is kind of like the industrial revolution for marching arts.

Even though I have my own (laundry list of) problems with BOA, they, through Music For All, are a non-profit. Nobody is getting a huge windfall (or small windfall) from BOA. The fall programs in Texas help subsidize Music For All programs in other parts of the nation, and the fall scheduling in general helps subsidize the concert band and choir and orchestra programs, which pretty much never make money and generally lose it. All of this information is readily accessible through various charitable giving watchdogs, as well as BOA’s own disclosures on their website.

You said that much nicer than I was going to. I've heard several un-knowledgeable band parents barking this nonsense lately and am very tired of it.

I know nothing of the inner workings of BoA, but just because it is a non-profit organization doesn't mean there are not people who are getting paid very well.

That's quite true. However, it is my deep understanding by knowing people who have worked there that it is modest in that regard. The scale of Music For All is nothing like think tanks and hospitals or top interest groups where pay can be better than the private sector.

1st - Round Rock (90.1)

2nd - Dripping Springs  (88.85)

3rd - Belton (82.575)

4th - Connally (81.5)

5th - Seguin (81.1)

6th - Clark (74.8)

7th - Stony Point (73.1)

8th - Akins

9th - Cedar Creek

10 - Laredo Martin

Sorry, did get the last three scores.

Thanks for the scores. I didn't hang around for them.