Area B 2018

A comment on Timber Creek:

The fact that they have been State alternates every single year they go to Area is baffling to me. You would think the law of averages would catch up eventually, or the marching band gods would throw them a Texas-sized bone. Heartbreaking is not a big enough word to try and describe what the members, parents, and alumnus must be feeling right now. Results and controversy aside, this one has to hurt a little extra, especially after the success they've had this season, BOA or not. But what I am the most excited for is what happens next. Based on what I know about the program, they will not stop pushing. They haven't for three years so there's no reason to let up. Factor in that they have been considered an "up and comer" for about three years now. If I were them, I would be getting pretty tired of that. They think they deserve a spot with the best of the best. Don't be surprised if San Antonio is the place where they make their statement. I expect them to go forth with a chip on their shoulder. I'm not sure the band world is ready for the beast they've just unleashed.

Update:

UIL will be looking at who is going to be officially named Area B Champion. The "Two 1st Place Music/One 1st Place Marching" Rule is specifically used to automatically crown a STATE Champion. Please note that this will NOT have any bearing on the random State draw order that will be done tomorrow. More to come...

Update:

UIL will be looking at who is going to be officially named Area B Champion. The "Two 1st Place Music/One 1st Place Marching" Rule is specifically used to automatically crown a STATE Champion. Please note that this will NOT have any bearing on the random State draw order that will be done tomorrow. More to come...

Interesting seems odd to announce something and then possibly pull it away...well congrats to Waxahachie and Keller for two extremely close and extremely impactful performances tonight!

While everyone else is arguing over finals...I’ll just be salty that Martin and Bowie placed higher than us. LoL

I’ll admit I’m lost. My background for scoring comes from my kids being in diving and all star cheer. You get scored, highest wins, no voting.

I am truly super happy for these kiddos. It’s so much hard work and I hope Area B places well at State!

For us it’s on to concert season and supporting our 7-0 undefeated football team!

I also think we're all tired and should probably go to bed! Yes, that's the mom in me. How about that World Series game the other night?! 18 innings?! Show offs!

Ha! Max Muncy hit the walk-off home run for the Dodgers. Your well intentioned attempt to distract me from Area B didn't work because one of my sons played baseball with Max...at Keller High School.

And we're back!

The thing that stood out to me most tonight was when the Keller and Timber Creek drum majors stayed on the field to talk when everyone left. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Keller is such a respectable program and it shows that these results are irrelevant compared to the relationships that these kids have with another. Bravo Keller and Timber Creek for being great humans!

The connection between these programs runs deep. Timber Creek's Director was an Assistant Director at Keller from 2008 to 2014. When Timber Creek won the BOA Midland Regional earlier in the season the kids at Keller sent them a card congratulating Timber Creek for being the first school in KISD to win a BOA Regional. Imagine how big a card it takes to have enough room for 400+ signatures. Those hugs you saw were genuine expressions of shared disappointment. It was a bittersweet night again for the Keller band kids and parents. Timber Creek is not the only one longing for their nightmare to end.

I baked cookies for everyone, but I dropped them on the floor and still ate them.

GOODNIGHT, EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Remember this?

Earlier today...

Wife: When does the new Top 30 go up?

Me: Today.

Wife: What time?

Me: When it's done.

Wife: So you're telling me it's run by a bunch of guys?

Me: I think they're single too...

I'm willing to check with her if you want but I don't think you're helping your case. :)

While everyone else is arguing over finals...I’ll just be salty that Martin and Bowie placed higher than us. LoL

I’ll admit I’m lost. My background for scoring comes from my kids being in diving and all star cheer. You get scored, highest wins, no voting.

I am truly super happy for these kiddos. It’s so much hard work and I hope Area B places well at State!

For us it’s on to concert season and supporting our 7-0 undefeated football team!

Now I’m lost. In what way does the UIL system involve voting?

Yeah definitely bittersweet. Keller has a 3-time streak for being area champs while Timber has a 5-time streak for being runner up.

I might be wrong, but Keller’s area streak isn’t 7? Starting with the move to Area A in 06 Keller won each contest in West Texas and 2014 with the split Area. And now they’ve won the last two Area B contests. But I could be wrong if you know otherwise.

I might be wrong, but Keller’s area streak isn’t 7? Starting with the move to Area A in 06 Keller won each contest in West Texas and 2014 with the split Area. And now they’ve won the last two Area B contests. But I could be wrong if you know otherwise.

Oh wow, didn’t know that. Was just keeping up with the past few years. Thanks for the correction!

Using a bit of good old fashioned detective work, I've been able to narrow down the search for the judge who placed Keller 10th in music to 2 suspects. I'm told that both suspects love to heckle.

uhmzXjU.jpg

Haha!

I have a serious question for anyone to answer. Do judges switch captions between prelims and finals? Could the same judge that had them in 11th in visual in prelims also have them last in music in finals?