I agree with you, the only real contention I can see is for the last couple of state spots and those bottom 2 finalists spots.

Really? Who do you think are in contention for those spots? I’m surprised no one has posted predictions with 2 weeks left. We obviously know every band that barring a disaster will get a one, so we shouldn’t have to wait.

Really? Who do you think are in contention for those spots? I’m surprised no one has posted predictions with 2 weeks left. We obviously know every band that barring a disaster will get a one, so we shouldn’t have to wait.

The real issue I'm having with predicting these last 2 spots, is that most of my candidates haven't competed against each other recently. It'd be a bit easier if Waco hadn't been cancelled or if results went out, but it is what it is. My top few contenders for 9th and 10th are McNeil, New Braunfels, Anderson, and I could definitely see a slip in from Canyon who beat New Braunfels at Rough Rider. McNeil has been on the rise lately with their rather successful 2017 season. New Braunfels did get 18th at BOA Austin but that was also early season, time will tell if they have made a leap from there. I'm not sure if Anderson can keep their (technically) finalist spot from 2016, they have been seeing a downwards trend in results lately, but have been improving. I think that Hays and MacArthur may also have a shot seeing how well they did at TMC, MacArthur beat Anderson at Cap City as well. There is one factor I see interfering with all of this, weather. All of the Seattle hovering above us has been moving rehearsals indoors instead of outside, which means drill can't be cleaned.

The real issue I'm having with predicting these last 2 spots, is that most of my candidates haven't competed against each other recently. It'd be a bit easier if Waco hadn't been cancelled or if results went out, but it is what it is. My top few contenders for 9th and 10th are McNeil, New Braunfels, Anderson, and I could definitely see a slip in from Canyon who beat New Braunfels at Rough Rider. McNeil has been on the rise lately with their rather successful 2017 season. New Braunfels did get 18th at BOA Austin but that was also early season, time will tell if they have made a leap from there. I'm not sure if Anderson can keep their (technically) finalist spot from 2016, they have been seeing a downwards trend in results lately, but have been improving. I think that Hays and MacArthur may also have a shot seeing how well they did at TMC, MacArthur beat Anderson at Cap City as well. There is one factor I see interfering with all of this, weather. All of the Seattle hovering above us has been moving rehearsals indoors instead of outside, which means drill can't be cleaned.

Yeah this rain sucks, but so far we have been lucky and have been the only band in our district that hasn’t been rained out once this season other than this past Monday where everyone from Waco to Laredo was rained out. Some interesting thoughts you have there by the way.

Anyone know how many state spots will probably be here?

There are 33 bands total in all these Regions.  If they all get a 1 at UIL Region, Area D would advance six bands.  The only question I really had was on Region 8 since I am not that familiar with those programs. 

- Looks like the only program in Region 8 last year that did not receive a 1 was Shoemaker H.S. 

- Last year, Region 18 had two programs make a 2 (Anderson, Del Valle).  Anderson has improved immensely and they should easily get a 1. 

- Last year, Region 12 had two programs make a 2 (San Marcos, MacArthur).  I think MacArthur has improved enough to warrant a 1 this time.

If four programs out of this Area make a 2, the Area would advance five programs.  

As it stands today, the following schools are moving on to Area next weekend:

Region 8:

Belton

Bryan

Copperas Cove

Ellison

Harker Heights

Killeen

Midway

Temple

Region 12:

Churchill

CTJ

Canyon

LEE

MacArthur

Madison

New Braunfels

Reagan

Roosevelt

San Marcos

Smithson Valley

Region 26:

Cedar Ridge

Hendrickson

McNeil

Round Rock

Stony Point

Westwood

Waiting on Region 18!!!

However, I would be surprised if all of region 18 didn't advance, the only band that might not make it is Austin, we will see if they can repeat a 2014 area showing. 

You're kidding about Austin, Right?  They got a 212 in 2013 and have gotten straight 1's since.  Also they were at the 5A State Marching Championships last year.  No doubt they will be getting a 1st division tomorrow.

You're kidding about Austin, Right? They got a 212 in 2013 and have gotten straight 1's since. Also they were at the 5A State Marching Championships last year. No doubt they will be getting a 1st division tomorrow.

I did not say they were not receiving ones, I said I would be surprised if they did not all make it. I predict that all of them will advance to area, I am just saying that they are one to keep an eye on.

Here is my final prediction before Area, of course, anything could happen. 

(Top Three)

1. Reagan 

2. CTJ

3. Bowie 

(Could Swap)

4. Cedar Ridge

5. Hendrickson

(Fighting For The Last Spot)

6. Westwood 

7. Churchill

8. Round Rock

What about those last 2 spots? I don't blame you if you can't decide, those last 2 are in high contention.

What about those last 2 spots? I don't blame you if you can't decide, those last 2 are in high contention.

You Caught Me! I honestly have no idea, so many bands that could snag those two spots. 

(Possible)

New Braunfels 

Anderson

Lehman

McNeil

(Maybe)

Smithson Valley

Canyon

Hays 

MacArthur

You Caught Me! I honestly have no idea, so many bands that could snag those two spots.

(Possible)

New Braunfels

Anderson

Lehman

McNeil

(Maybe)

Smithson Valley

Canyon

Hays

MacArthur

Macarthur making finals would be awesome. That program has quietly gone from making a 2 in 2015 to likely the best NEISD band outside the big 3. Id love to see them back in the mix.