2018 Show Announcements

I just found out which band you speak of, and I'm not surprised considering the things they have recently used on the field. Lets just say its a well known band that has been going all out the last few years. This should be intriguing.

Can you give us a clue, DFW area band,   San Antonio area?  Houston...   I need specifics, LOL!

bagpipes are coming from a dallas-area band.

Hmmmm...here’s some speculation that is probably totally incorrect

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Flowermound or even Hebron. Don’t know any info about their shows so it could be totally possible and these two programs are capable of integrating that.

Highly doubt it’s Marcus or Keller considering their show themes this year

Probably isn’t Haltom cause it doesn’t really fit with the “Carmina Burana” theme

Probably not Coppell considering their show theme is very “uil” focused this year I guess

I think Duncanville is branching out this year but maybe not enough to have bagpipes haha

I know BA is the other band doing it so I’m guessing the DFW band is a big name band but it could totally be a smaller band that isn’t as competitively successful.

LD Bell - “Wherever You Will Go”

There is a public video online of their show and there is a bagpipe solo

It’s very impressive that they put what seems like their whole show out there in full uniform as of a whole week ago. But... it feels so similar to what they've’ done the past couple of years which is kindof disappointing to be honest. I really wanted them to try to push themselves and this show seems so safe. I know it’s SUPER early but I don’t see much potential :(

Yes! LD Bell will have to be sqeeky Clean to make SA Finals. The sounds and tuning are not very good right now.

What they have now is GREAT for how early this performance is but I just dont think it can hold up all season competitively. The fact that they are performing their entire show at a pretty high level this early says it all. They are capable of a more demanding show and I so desperately want to see that from them.

It's almost like its August.

Walk into any after school rehearsal of the top 20 BOA SA Bands right now and they will sound just amazing. Tone and tuning takes years to develop in an ensemble and signs are clear from the start of the season. It does not get substantially better like drill formations do as the season progresses especially tone. Bell does not sound like it should for it being August.

Walk into any after school rehearsal of the top 20 BOA SA Bands right now and they will sound just amazing. Tone and tuning takes years to develop in an ensemble and signs are clear from the start of the season. It does not get substantially better like drill formations do as the season progresses especially tone. Bell does not sound like it should for it being August.

I already have. You're really underestimating how much a group can improve. Not saying it's easy to make SA finals but we shouldn't judge harshly before the first contest has even begun.

You clearly lack any real experience or knowledge about this and it shows in your statement. I heard one of those bands that is in this category last week and they are nowhere near amazing either in sound or with the precision of their drill. They have a long way to go and by the end of the season, they will very likely be a serious competitor. It's not where you start, but where you end and a great staff of band directors can work miracles. I understand thinking that a band has no chance to achieve a high level of performance at the beginning of the season, but over decades of time, I have seen programs make great leaps in progress throughout the season. It happens every year and often.

I agree

You clearly lack any real experience or knowledge about this and it shows in your statement. I heard one of those bands that is in this category last week and they are nowhere near amazing either in sound or with the precision of their drill. They have a long way to go and by the end of the season, they will very likely be a serious competitor. It's not where you start, but where you end and a great staff of band directors can work miracles. I understand thinking that a band has no chance to achieve a high level of performance at the beginning of the season, but over decades of time, I have seen programs make great leaps in progress throughout the season. It happens every year and often.

Well I won’t insult your Opinion which is your right but I am sure I’m not alone in my opinion. They may still break in to Finals and SA and or state but I would give the benifit of the doubt to other groups around the state that have been improving. I wish those kids good luck!

Well I won’t insult your Opinion which is your right but I am sure I’m not alone in my opinion. They may still break in to Finals and SA and or state but I would give the benifit of the doubt to other groups around the state that have been improving. I wish those kids good luck!

I'm not saying they will be in any finals, that's yet to be seen. What I was saying is that it is way too early to tell. What I can tell about them at this point is that the music that they are playing is difficult to play well on the field. Grainger is hard! I hear great potential at this point and hear a lot that is fixable. Much can be accomplished in the next couple of months. At this point, what I am listening for and watching for is potential. And as far as the drill, it is very hard to know what the finished product will be. It looks simple now, but there may be much more added to it throughout the season.

Note: I will say that bagpipes are intonation kryptonite. Those things are so out of tune and I don't know how those kids are able to find and center pitch after the sonic disaster of that intro. They would be better served with a synthesized production that is closer to being in tune (as much as that is possible). There is a reason that these things aren't used with other instruments very often.