2018 6A State

Duncanville when I competed was always a marvel to me because despite the challenging situation many students were in they played so well and their marching was always very clean, and it made you believe that anyone could be great at music. I love my alma mater(Wakeland), but as things progressed I truly realized the advantages we had that did make a huge difference in determining our success.

Duncanville is still an interesting case because they finished third in State Honor Band last spring. So clearly the musical ability is still there to complete with the big boys. Maybe it comes more down to the funds they can put toward show design.

The live blog is still up.....

I'm just saying....

Because it's still up....

Yes :)

You know when live blog is even more super cool and greatly appreciated? When I'm on pit crew or props and can't see any other bands, which is basically most of the time. I pull up the blog so I can follow along while I'm doing the "hurry up and wait" thing. It's awesome!

You know when live blog is even more super cool and greatly appreciated? When I'm on pit crew or props and can't see any other bands, which is basically most of the time. I pull up the blog so I can follow along while I'm doing the "hurry up and wait" thing. It's awesome!

And we appreciate every minute you follow along!

Duncanville is still an interesting case because they finished third in State Honor Band last spring. So clearly the musical ability is still there to complete with the big boys. Maybe it comes more down to the funds they can put toward show design.

Or simply put, it's a different year. Still great teaching, but different set of kids. As noted earlier, Honor Band doesn't always equate to success on the marching field. and I don't think it is due to show design as UIL rewards playing execution of whatever show it is the judges hear. That's not to say that I don't think design has some effect too since a well written music book is like wearing a custom tailored suit. It will highlight your strengths, mask your weaknesses, and is easier for the kids to execute. 

Back to honor band though. The group that wins honor band is the varsity ensemble fro the previous year. Many programs will have 3-5 different concert ensembles. So the honor band is 1 out of 3-5 bands, and then those seniors that won the honor graduate and don't return the following year. Those two factors alone are why it is tough to equate honor band success with the same on the field success. Then bring back the show design argument and that plays it's role too. The honor band director chooses their repertoire from a prescribed music list and will pick a program that best showcases that particular ensembles skill set, which too should factor into that. So many variables, but the one constant is the great teaching and great systems that are clearly in place for those schools to perform at a high level on the stage and on the field.

So, yes I am a Vandy mom. Have one more thing to say. In the 5 years we have had kids in VHS the band program, and the school, has grown tremendously in numbers. The band itself has more than doubled in size in that short time. I'd say half of the band is made up of freshman in a now 370 member band.  I want to applaud the band directors for handling such a huge growth and teaching the freshman such a high level of skill in performance. The directors believe in the kids talent to grow from the start. Everyone marches, not just the upperclass. I am so proud of this organization! Can't wait for the next four years as our last child goes through this amazing program!

And this is the same for Vista as well, we have continued to grow in leaps and bounds which is why the uniform is what it is this year, not enough uniforms for all the kids and not enough money to purchase new ones.

Regarding props, Vandy has had huge props just like everyone else.  I remember a huge three part stage constructed on the field two years ago, my friend drove the truck that held it.  So I wouldn't say that Vandy is different.  Flags, rifles, and sabers in drill team have been around marching band for decades.  I am not sure what your point is.  

Vandegrift is a great band and has proven it, just like all the other bands yesterday and today.  I hope all of the kids perform their hearts out and take that experience with them.

This is why UIL isn’t supposed to focus on the pomp and circumstance. Clearly there are bands placing high in UIL that barely have any marching. Hebron should be up there. Marcus also. They have more marching. In my opinion Flo Mo should be 5th at best. Vista (and I love their show!) doesn’t have a ton of marching either.

If we are going by what UIL used to be, Hebron, Marcus & Vandy should be medalists. Not necessarily listed in order. Depends on how finals go.

Considering that this is Oak Ridge’s first time ever making state, and just 2 years ago was their first time ever making just area finals (I think), it is so cool to see them that close to making finals at state.

Tied with Round Rock at 13 and they beat TWCP by 12 spots.  That is awesome.  Dana, Albert, Jerriald, and Taylor did an amazing job this year and made all of CISD proud!

Going back to Eric Kurre, Joe Munoz, and Jack Allen, the Oak Ridge Program has seen crazy growth from a 4A to a 6A school and the band is now huge and a real competitor.  (i really liked their Lux show last year.  It had great potential. 

Round Rock would have made finals if it was not for the crazy Judge 5 scoring.  What was up with that?  Judge 5 score - 751/34th

Exactly. This needs to happen. It’ll elimate one “I didn’t like that” opinion from the the queue.

I am itching to address this after State!  Nothing negative or anything like that.  It's just something I have been thinking about for the past several days.

I think other people noted why a 7 judge panel won't really work if you drop high and low. I instead like a 9 judge panel, so 5 and 4, and drop the high and low within each category. Then you end up with 3/2 again.

Or a 7 judge panel in which nobody is dropped, but the captions are more specific. That was, one judge only has a 14% influence rather than 20%, and they are looking for something a little more targeted.

I think other people noted why a 7 judge panel won't really work if you drop high and low. I instead like a 9 judge panel, so 5 and 4, and drop the high and low within each category. Then you end up with 3/2 again.

Or a 7 judge panel in which nobody is dropped, but the captions are more specific. That was, one judge only has a 14% influence rather than 20%, and they are looking for something a little more targeted.

The more the merrier! I love all ideas that involve more judges and possibly eliminating the highs and lows. Anything to get rid of the inconsistencies!

Also, to those who are having difficulties with the stream, mine is working, if that gives you any hope.

Re: judging- dropping high/low

This is already being done with TMEA in the region band audition process. 5 judges in that process and they drop the high and low, and mostly seems to work out. Because even in that process yeh you will see the similar ordinal spreads like 1, 2, 2, 3, 28...but that 28 gets dropped out and doesn't bring that poor kid down.