Definitely a strange collection of bands. It's pretty difficult to predict how everything will play out, since these bands don't often compete against one another, but here goes nothing-

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson HS, TX-  Obviously. Would be legitimately stunned if they somehow lost this one.

2. Timber Creek HS, TX- This band is surging and seem to have a BOA focus (for a while they had 4 BOA events on their calendar, before dropping Conroe.) I see them holding off Berkner and could even be competitive for some captions with CTJ- Harlingen did it, after all.

3. Berkner HS, TX- Would absolutely love to see them excel here. As recently as 2010, they were top 5 at SA. Could absolutely see them on top of Timber Creek, but we'll see.

4. Clovis HS, NM- I predict a significant score gap between the top 3 and the next group of bands, but of that next group of bands, Clovis seems to have the most complete package in terms of music performance, visual execution, and design. This is a great regional for them and I hope to see them become regulars here.

5. Lewisville HS, TX- Lewisville doesn't quite have all the same resources that its LISD powerhouse sister schools have, and the split 9-10 campuses doesn't help matters, but they are better than a lot of people give them credit for and have shown a commitment to improving in the last few years that makes me think this regional will provide a great platform for them to grow. 

6. McNeil HS, TX- They've been sounding great lately and that should take them far here. Definitely competitive for a top half finish. 

7. Sherman HS, TX- They've been strangely absent from peoples predictions for this contest, considering they've been consistently competitive for DECADES at this point, and were very nearly super regional finalists at Atlanta this year. I could even see them in the top 5 here.

8. Del Rio HS, TX- They were in very good company at Area H finals and held their own. I see this regional as a great opportunity for them to shine and grow. 

9. Fossil Ridge HS, TX- I think it's only a matter of time before Fossil Ridge starts getting closer to where they were 10-15 years ago, and I could absolutely see them finishing higher than this, but either way, this is a perfect contest for them.

10. Coronado HS, TX- IF this is El Paso Coronado, I see them rounding out the top 10, where I think design/GE, backed by solid playing and movement, will carry them in over others.

If it isn't...

W. Charles Akins HS, TX- Though I could easily see them in even if it is El Paso, just 10 years ago they were UIL 5A State Finalists. They're a solid program with a rich history, and are familiar with BOA competition.

Possible Spoilers: Permian, Kempner and Frenship 

Kempner had a very solid season in 2015 which was largely improved over their past selves. I think if they have a similar season to that in 2017 they will likely make finals, however, they weren't as strong in 16. I guess time will tell!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Top 10 Pre-Season Predictions:

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

2. Bellevue West H.S., NE

3. Richardson L.V. Berkner H.S., TX

4. Keller Timber Creek H.S., TX

5. Round Rock McNeil H.S., TX

6. Clovis H.S., NM

7. Lewisville H.S., TX

8. Sherman H.S., TX

9. Del Rio H.S., TX

10. Odessa Permian H.S., TX

NEXT FIVE OUT - Possibles Finalists:

11. Austin Akins H.S., TX

12. El Paso (?) Coronado H.S., TX

13. Keller Fossil Ridge H.S., TX

14. Frenship H.S., TX

15. Sugar Land Kempner H.S., TX

• 1 month later...

BOA Midland Prelims Schedule:

9:15 - Bellevue West (Nebraska)

9:30 - Monterey

9:45 - San Angelo Central

10:00 - Estacado

10:15 - Pecos

10:30 - Del Rio

10:45 - Coronado

Break

11:45 - Sherman

12:00 - Lake View

12:15 - Frenship

12:30 - Midland Lee

12:45 - LV Berkner

1:00 - Seguin

1:15 - Lubbock

1:30 - Permian

Break

2:15 - Lubbock-Cooper

2:30 - Lewisville

2:45 - Clovis

3:00 - Claudia Taylor Johnson

3:15 - McNeil

3:30 - Timber Creek

3:45 - Plainview

4:00 - Keller Fossil Ridge

• 2 weeks later...

An early draw for Bellevue West! That's a 12-hour drive for them down from NE, so unless they're flying, I guess they'll come down on Friday.

Also, I think this might be a first-BOA experience for several bands. Good for them!

That's a rough draw for Bellevue. I haven't seen either schools show yet, but if what I have heard is true, perhaps Timber Creek might be able to steal second from them, at least in prelims. Finals will most likely be a different story.

Overall, the school I am most excited for is Clovis. It will be very fun to see them back in action at a BOA competition.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a really fun show for me, lots of schools from my neck of the woods.

Getting to experience my first BOA event live with some programs that are close to my heart and experiences as well as some incredible names like CT Johnson, Bellevue West, and many others sounds like an amazing experience in the making.

One month!!!

Wow, I'm excited FOR you! Your first BOA live?! I can't wait to hear your reaction to seeing CTJ live. You might want to bring an extra pair of pants with you. ;)

Wow, I'm excited FOR you! Your first BOA live?! I can't wait to hear your reaction to seeing CTJ live. You might want to bring an extra pair of pants with you. ;)

I’m pretty excited, and will do! But has to be shorts cause it’s looking like it’s gonna be around 90 degrees (after being down in the 30s this morning up where I am).

I’m pretty excited, and will do! But has to be shorts cause it’s looking like it’s gonna be around 90 degrees (after being down in the 30s this morning up where I am).

Ugh. Bring your sunscreen, hat,and an umbrella for shade (unless you are sitting with the TxBands folks and get lucky enough to have a canopy over you like the guys got in Conroe). A fan is nice as well. :D

Ugh. Bring your sunscreen, hat,and an umbrella for shade (unless you are sitting with the TxBands folks and get lucky enough to have a canopy over you like the guys got in Conroe). A fan is nice as well. :D

It looked like we were under the canopy from the perspective of the fans sitting lower in the stands, but it actually only really covered the judges.

Still....That's the highest I've ever sat since I started blogging the Conroe regional (I usually sit about midway up since I figured it wouldn't be as loud if I sat too far back). I was wrong and will probably sit up there again in future years. If not for the sole reason that the shade from the press box is cast over the people up top at least an hour or 2 before it's cast over the lower part of the stands.  We had shade coverage by probably 1pm...It doesn't reach the sideline until like 3pm, so those people just get cooked throughout the hottest part of the day while those of us up top stay cool  B) .

It looked like we were under the canopy from the perspective of the fans sitting lower in the stands, but it actually only really covered the judges.

Still....That's the highest I've ever sat since I started blogging the Conroe regional (I usually sit about midway up since I figured it wouldn't be as loud if I sat too far back). I was wrong and will probably sit up there again in future years. If not for the sole reason that the shade from the press box is cast over the people up top at least an hour or 2 before it's cast over the lower part of the stands. We had shade coverage by probably 1pm...It doesn't reach the sideline until like 3pm, so those people just get cooked throughout the hottest part of the day while those of us up top stay cool B) .

I sit up near or at the top for the exact same reason. Faster to the shade!!

I'm sorry that we didn't get properly introduced Saturday, Brandon. It was very nice to meet you!

I think Timber Creek will definitely be competitive and very well may be able to get second, if not third at this competition, and may be able to steal some captions from CTJ. Very powerful band, very interesting show.

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

I love a bold prediction like that!  Stealing captions from CTJ....very interesting indeed.