2024 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 14-16)

• 1 month later...

It's the end of the month. Here are all the confirmed bands for Grand Nationals (so far):

Confirmed (64):

• American Fork H.S., UT
  • Archbishop Alter H.S., OH
  • Archbishop Carroll H.S., OH
  • Avon H.S., IN
  • Avon H.S., OH
  • Batesville H.S., IN
  • Ben Davis H.S., IN
  • Bishop Fenwick H.S., OH
  • Bourbon County H.S., KY
  • Brownsburg H.S., IN
  • Campbell County H.S., KY
  • Carmel H.S., IN
  • Carroll H.S., IN
  • Cary H.S., NC
  • Castle H.S., IN
  • Catawba Ridge H.S., SC
  • Cedar Park H.S., TX
  • Center Grove H.S., IN
  • Centerville H.S., OH
  • Central Crossing H.S., OH
  • Cheney H.S., WA
  • Christian Academy of Louisville, KY
  • Clover H.S., SC
  • Columbus Schools, IN
  • DeWitt H.S., MI
  • Dixie Heights H.S., KY
  • Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN
  • East Clinton H.S., OH
  • Finneytown H.S., OH
  • Fishers H.S., IN
  • Floyd Central H.S., IN
  • Friendswood H.S., TX
  • Goshen H.S., IN
  • Green Level H.S., NC
  • Greendale H.S., WI
  • Greenfield-Central H.S., IN
  • Hamilton H.S., OH
  • Homestead H.S., IN
  • Huron Valley Schools, MI
  • Jenison H.S., MI
  • Jenks H.S., OK
  • John Hardin H.S., KY
  • Lakota East H.S., OH
  • Lawrence Township, IN
  • Leander H.S., TX
  • Marian Catholic H.S., IL
  • Meade County H.S., KY
  • Miamisburg H.S., OH
  • Milford H.S., OH
  • Monrovia H.S., IN
  • Morton H.S., IL
  • Norton H.S., OH
  • Owen County H.S., KY
  • Piqua H.S., OH
  • Plymouth-Canton E.P., MI
  • Prosper H.S., TX
  • Reeths-Puffer H.S., MI
  • Rockford H.S., MI
  • Rosemount H.S., MN
  • Tippecanoe H.S., OH
  • Walter E. Stebbins H.S., OH
  • Westlake H.S., UT
  • William Mason H.S., OH
  • Worthington Kilbourne H.S., OH

So what's a "normal" or "average" number of Texas bands that attend GN on a yearly basis?

I know there were quite a few last year, which seemed "high" to me, but I also don't have much experience or historical knowledge here.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:21 PM, TWHSPercDad said:

Excellent approximation, @Tubalord11 !!!!!

Average of Texas Bands at GN (last 10 events) --- 4.9

2023 --- 8

2022 --- 4

2021 --- 7

2020 --- N/A

2019 --- 6

2018 --- 1

2017 --- 6

2016 --- 5

2015 --- 5

2014 --- 2

2013 --- 5

Not that it really changes anything, but there were 6 TX bands at grand nats in 2016. Cedar Park, Leander, Ronald Reagan, Claudia Taylor Johnson, James Bowie, and Whitesboro.

1 hour ago, tubapop said:

Bridgeland confirmed going to 2024 Grand Nationals!

Since their calendar is private, I’m curious as to where you got this information ( I believe you just wondering lol) 

but wow if this is true that is SO exciting!! Seeing how well their season was last year they are definitely a finalist  in my eyes assuming they don’t fall off 

26 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Since their calendar is private, I’m curious as to where you got this information ( I believe you just wondering lol) 

but wow if this is true that is SO exciting!! Seeing how well their season was last year they are definitely a finalist  in my eyes assuming they don’t fall off 

My kid is a student there, and the directors told them. I also have other hard evidence confirming it. They haven't shared it with the boosters yet, but I imagine that will happen at the next meeting. I don't know if this changes anything about BOASA, BOA Webster, state, etc.

3 minutes ago, tubapop said:

My kid is a student there, and the directors told them. I also have other hard evidence confirming it. They haven't shared it with the boosters yet, but I imagine that will happen at the next meeting. I don't know if this changes anything about BOASA, BOA Webster, state, etc.

Wow this is so exciting, super excited to see your kid and the rest of the band perform in Indy next season!! 

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Wow that's cool!  Things are getting pretty stacked...

image.png.a1e1aaef25e8c8728291110dca458366.png

wait that's actually so funny lol! But yes, this is looking to be another super stacked GN's, finals will once again be SUPER tight to get into to, but I know our Tx bands are gonna kill it as always! Really excited to see how AAA turns out, cedar park might be taking home their first AAA class championship from nats! 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:41 AM, tubapop said:

As someone who was in the Cy-Fair school district a good few years ago, this makes me very happy to see our schools going big!

51 minutes ago, tubapop said:

I had a similar thought when I heard the news. But thinking about it some more, I'm glad we are going. It's not like the grand nationals are something you have to qualify for, or even be good to attend. You just sign up. Lots of bands that are good, but not great, attend every year. The only question is whether the program/boosters are willing to fund the trip for what might be an underwhelming outcome. And that's up to the individual program, if they want to take that kind of calculated risk. In Bridgeland's case, the performance the past couple of years has been solid. In my view, if you can make the finals at BOASA, you have a good shot of making them at GN.

100%! If anything, they are still “young”, and have had only one year of making finals at the big shows, which is still something to be super proud of as they have done what programs have dreamed of they have been open for years longer so fast, but personally I think they will be just fine here

9 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

100%! If anything, they are still “young”, and have had only one year of making finals at the big shows, which is still something to be super proud of as they have done what programs have dreamed of they have been open for years longer so fast, but personally I think they will be just fine here

Knowing those kids, I don’t think they will let up for this upcoming marching season.

13 hours ago, tubapop said:

I had a similar thought when I heard the news. But thinking about it some more, I'm glad we are going. It's not like the grand nationals are something you have to qualify for, or even be good to attend. You just sign up. Lots of bands that are good, but not great, attend every year. The only question is whether the program/boosters are willing to fund the trip for what might be an underwhelming outcome. And that's up to the individual program, if they want to take that kind of calculated risk. In Bridgeland's case, the performance the past couple of years has been solid. In my view, if you can make the finals at BOASA, you have a good shot of making them at GN.

I believe that going for the experience is all that matters. Regardless of believing you are a lock for finals, it’s just something that the kids will never forget, seeing all the strong programs across the country is a treat to be desired! (Seeing Avon on Box5 was one of my goals, and now my bigger goal is to go to GN in person)