2024 WGI Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

Team Texas seems to be off to a great start!

Azle with the highest score for the entire Cintas Center Scholastic A panel and 3rd highest score overall. Grand Oaks with the 5th highest score at Truist Arena and 8th highest overall. Lots of close scores, so it will be interesting to see what happens in more direct comparisons, but it seems like Texas could medal in SA this year. Hays and Wiley also looking like possible finalists.

In Scholastic Open, Marcus in 2nd, Westlake in 4th. Absolutely fantastic! And they were all judged on the same panel, too. Hopefully at least one of them medals! Bowie also looking like a likely finalist. Clear Brook shouldn't be too far off, either.

In Scholastic World, I'm a little bummed that FloMo didn't make it to semis, but this is honestly one of the strongest SW cohorts ever, if not the strongest. Case in point: Carmel, last year's champion, in 7th (!). Skills are improving fast on the scholastic scene. But yeah, FloMo can hold their heads up high. Obviously, congrats to TWHS in 3rd. Hopefully they can keep that placement or even improve on it.

But yeah, I mean, strong medalist contenders in all 3 scholastic classes. Way to go!

On the Independent side, Origins in 7th, Mirage in 8th -- neck and neck again. That's fantastic! Origins A looking like a strong finalist contender as well. In Open, Menage in 3rd, Glory in 5th, so another couple medal contenders!

I can't wait to see some of it starting tomorrow!

Thx for this, just got off work lol! Super happy for everyone who made semis, and for those that didn’t, thanks for an incredible season!! Azle was 🔥 today, should hopefully take a meal. SO is SUPER close at the top, it’s honestly anyone’s game. As far as TW’s, I don’t seem the dropping and think their score and hopefully placements will improve. I haven’t checked the schedule but hopefully can watch a good amount tomorrow!

13 minutes ago, packwick said:

both Carmel and Tarpon were quite clean. i don't understand Carmel below Warren Central. like.... at all.

I believe Carmel had a not so good run yesterday hence why they were sitting in 7th after Prelims. Heard they were much much better today.

20 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I think any slight issues they may be having are certainly influenced by nerves. First of all, it's Dayton. Second of all, this is the first time the entire season they've competed against anyone. They've essentially been giving (judged) exhibition performances the whole season. So, it's like smooth sailing until the world championships as far as nerves go.

I agree with you 100% on this, @Rubisco!!!!!

10 minutes ago, packwick said:

ok good, Carmel up to 5th, 3 points ahead of WC in 9th. a little twilight zone-ish before.

tw still in 3rd, 1.1 pts off 2nd, 1.2 pts ahead of tarpon. 3rd's prob where they'll end up in finals, which is fab. wasn't even expecting them to show up at Dayton this yr so it's a pleasant surprise. really a treat.

cool to see them develop into a consistent medalist quality group. guard is finally as strong or stronger than the band!!! Lol. think they already very obviously have the talent for gold. designers (designer?) just need to figure out how to frame that talent in a gold medal worthy way. not to say the staging/choreo this year is weak by any stretch of the imagination, it's quite fantastic, esp considering it mostly comes from one person. but once u get to the tippy top of the world class u gotta deal w/ those legendary design teams. breadth of talent and lots of tosses won't get u gold. which really that prob SHOULD be more of a consideration on the sheets, difficulty/risk and whatnot, bc it rewards the actual performers a bit more, but alas it is not, not explicitly anyway lol. variety range and depth do provide a particular challenge of their own.

Honestly, from a breadth of talent perspective, TWHS is the most impressive scholastic guard I've ever seen. And I think it's quite obvious, too. More than any other guard, watching them is like watching a strong IW finalist, because of those insane numbers combined with the difficulty. But I agree that there's room for growth in figuring out what WGI wants. 😂

Texas Scholastic As posting outstanding scores! Slipping in the rankings a little bit, but the top two at least should be good for finals. The SA class is definitely one of those classes where the competition ain't over until after finals, because of the relative closeness of the units in terms of both skill and design.

I'm looking forward to watching Scholastic A finals tonight!

Hi! I'm sort of "new" to TXBands so this may be the wrong place to ask this question. If it is, I apologize.

Does anyone follow Indoor Percussion? State Championships is Tomorrow in Katy.

7 minutes ago, Yaz said:

Hi! I'm sort of "new" to TXBands so this may be the wrong place to ask this question. If it is, I apologize.

This would be a great place to ask, I am currently following indoor percussion and excited for the championships!

4 minutes ago, Sideswiperr said:

This would be a great place to ask, I am currently following indoor percussion and excited for the championships!

Awesome! This is my daughter's first year doing indoor, and it's so much fun! 

Congrats to Eagle Mountain Independent on earning a spot in Independent A Class Finals!

32 minutes ago, Yaz said:

This is definitely a place you can discuss the percussion side of things! I think we just don't have as many people who keep up with it.

Origins had an absolutely amazing run in semis, such a friggin hard show, the phrases are so dense and quick, just imagining myself trying these combinations across the floor is making me anxious lol. if im judging DA they move up over Juxta. the only big risk for them scorewise is the relative lack of variety in the mood and overall effect but it does fit the theme.