2024 WGI Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Guardmom07 said:

Hello. I have a question. How are the rounds decided amongst high school guard teams for NTCA?

What does it mean when you are in the NA round in a NTCA competition?

And does that mean you are only competing against only the NA schools? 

Yes, if your guard is in the National A class in their local circuit, they will only compete against other National A guards. (National A = Scholastic A class guards that are presumably ready for the challenge of national WGI competition.) For some larger competitions, like WGI regional prelims, the A class will be split up into rounds to make the larger number of guards easier to judge. Each round will have its own 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. But the highest scoring A class guards regardless of their round make finals. For example, it's possible for a National A guard to place 5th in their round at WGI and still make finals over a guard that placed 3rd in their round, if the 5th place guard has the higher score.

Typically in the Texas local circuits, because there aren't a huge number of them, National A guards won't be split into separate rounds, except at the larger year-end contests. Other, "less advanced" classes, like Regional A or regular old non-National Scholastic A, might be split up depending on how many units are competing at the event. Sometimes there are quite a lot!

Here are the results from the TCGC contest at DSHS.

Cadet Novice:
Round Rock Cadet Guard 71.480 (1)
Westlake Cadets 53.500 (2)
Henry Middle School Gold 41.360 (3)

Cadet Regional A:
Henry Middle School Black 41.080 (1)

Novice:
Southside High School Colorguard 74.700 (1)
Austin HS 65.720 (2)
Waco HS 55.640 (3)
Nixon-Smiley High School 45.360 (4)

Scholastic JV Regional A:
Westlake JV 69.080 (1)
Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders JV 67.040 (2)
Hutto HS JV 64.040 (3)
Hays High School JV 62.840 (4)
Dripping Springs HS JV 62.540 (5)
Hendrickson HS JV 60.160 (6)
Smithson Valley JV 57.340 (7)
Stony Point HS JV 56.080 (8)
Cedar Park HS JV 53.600 (9)
San Angelo Central JV Winterguard 51.040 (10)

Scholastic Regional A (2 rounds):
Red Round:
Hutto HS 74.320 (1)
Pflugerville HS 73.720 (2) 
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 64.120 (3) 
Akins HS 59.420 (4)
Manor HS Winterguard 55.180 (5) 
Axtell Winter Guard 54.940 (6) 
Shoemaker HS 54.820 (7)
Tivy HS Winterguard 49.900 (8)

Blue Round:
Robert Vela High School 79.860 (1)
Manor New Tech Winterguard 72.740 (2) 
San Angelo Central Varsity Winterguard 65.500 (3) 
Palmview HS Performance Ensemble 62.860 (4) 
Lampasas High School 62.780 (5) 
East View HS 62.180 (6)
Navarro Winterguard 58.060 (7) 
McCallum HS 55.840 (8)

Scholastic AA:
Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders Varsity 65.600 (1)
Copperas Cove HS 65.520 (2)
Belton HS 62.150 (3)
Elgin HS 60.120 (4)
Stony Point High School Color Guard 59.510 (5)
Jarrell HS 56.520 (6)
Harker Heights HS 56.500 (7)

Scholastic A:
John B. Connally HS 66.620 (1)
Cedar Ridge HS A 59.620 (2)
James Earl Rudder High School 53.030 (3)

Scholastic National A:
Dripping Springs HS 69.760 (1)
Hays HS Varsity 69.580 (2)
Cedar Park HS Varsity 69.360 (3)
Rouse HS 67.450 (4)
Hendrickson HS 65.670 (5)
Louis D. Brandeis HS 62.890 (6)
Leander HS 62.250 (7)
McNeil HS 62.170 (8)
Vista Ridge HS 59.220 (9)
Westwood High School 59.200 (10)
Veterans Memorial Winter Guard (San Antonio) 58.260 (11)

Independent A:
Origins A 72.770 (1)

Scholastic Open:
James Bowie HS 67.200 (1)
Cedar Ridge HS 56.900 (2)

Independent Open:
Origins Open 66.800 (1)

Independent World:
Origins 72.400 (1)
Invictus 69.600 (2)

9 hours ago, packwick said:

been so verrry very busy, but got national a class thru world from Turner HS uploaded to the drive.

twhs A: Glass, Concrete, and Stone. whatever that means lmao. quirky midtempo song, but dramatically also kinda inert, like where are the builds!! undeniable skills, some great ensemble moments. only about half a show, aesthetically also kinda bland right now, like a lotta black and gray, no costumes or flags tho.

Pearland: Blue Moon. they cut up the black and yellow moons from their marching show, maybe they'll paint them blue later lol. they sit in the moons, rock back and forth in them, move them around, so on so forth. really cute and elegant show, more of a traditional guard soundtrack. classy stuff. no costumes, but seemed like a full show. great skills.

twhs world: The Light We Cannot See. wondered what the relation to the novel All the Light We Cannot See was, but well... all the parallels i cannot see lol. verrry much a prepandemic twhs/code black style show, like arthouse, minimalist chamber music, has a strange poetry to it. floor looks liiike... i dunno... really dirty dishwater? LOL. it's the little white lights poking thru, reminds me of soap suds.

no costumes or new flags yet. have some cylinders they stand on, roll around, whatever. person to person timing/uniformity issues, even at the start w/ the various duets across the floor, but it's done to mostly tempoless long tones so yeah. show is hard af, super tricky spinning and tossing sequences, very dynamic, never seem to do the same thing twice either. mvmnt is minimalist but still expressive, maybe could use even more motion to connect some of the events, like kinda has a weird stillness and emptiness after the line of double turn tosses w/ the illusion at the end w/ the one hand inverted catch. dramatically it's all like one long subtle build which i don't think works as well when you only have half the show done lol. like there wasn't a payoff yet. could see it being really goosebumpy when it's done tho. super lyrical flag writing w/ the gorgeous recycled sheer flags. they prob won't place lower than 4th at worlds again, too early to tell the ceiling.

obvi none of the shows were like esp clean, wouldn't have expected that anyway. lotsa first show jitters methinks. several half catches and drops from all the guards i saw.

judging was aight. mostly agreed. rankings at least were fine. only 1 wgi judge makes it kinda hard to compare. boooo!

Can you resend the link to me? Thanks! 💕

1 hour ago, J-Mike16 said:

There is a video online of Palm Desert Charter MS. After watching it a couple times, I can say they are still proving why they are in Open Class. Smaller group this year but I think that's better to then feature more moments. One member has several feature moments, but my favorite is when he does a toss and then a double spin around, very impressive. The flag work at the end is messy but still captivating. I noticed a lot more one-handed catches and the tosses themselves are higher up in the air than usual. (I don't know proper colorguard words lol). I can't wait to see the product fully complete and clean and with the addition of costumes. I believe they will do great this year!

I think it's absolutely stunning! Probably will be my favorite show from them yet. I can't believe how advanced they are! It would make me feel so very insecure if I were teaching a high school guard. 🤯

I'm going through some of the recaps from around the country.

What's up with all the penalties at TCGC Turner? 20(!) guards got penalties, some of them costing a guard first place. That seems unusually high to me, at least looking at Dripping Springs (only 4 penalties) and last year's results. Just something that caught my eye, especially moving into regional A and beyond.

Probably the most interesting direct comparison with a mostly WGI panel from this weekend: West Broward edges out Stoneman Douglas, who edges out Flanagan. All within a point of each other, centered around a 68. Very strong scores. I'm especially happy to see Flanagan so close to the others after not doing so great post-pandemic. Meanwhile, last year's Open class champion (and 2022's A class champion), Somerset Academy, was in 4th, 3 points back with a 64.4. That's a very respectable score for a first outing in world class.

Tarpon "in the lead" with a 73.5 at FFCC with a 100% WGI panel. TWHS behind them with a 72.4. (Both of these are pre-penalty scores, by the way. 😅) Surprised to see TWHS doing slightly worse than they did last year, but obviously it's hard to compare with different panels. The one WGI judge did give them a 76 in movement, which is a giant number. Really, we won't know anything until WGI starts up. Looking forward to finally seeing both of these guards.

MEPA had an interesting SW result, with Miamisburg at a 66.6 and Bellbrook right behind them with a 65.8. They're strong scores, but it does seem a little lower than usual for Miamisburg, who got 6th last year at Worlds and 4th the year before. Again, it's hard to know, especially at this very early stage with incomplete shows.

Also at MEPA, Franklin gets a 73 in A class. Giant number. Loved their show last year, so this is exciting!

Okay, I messed. I think the MEPA Franklin is a different Franklin from the A finalist last year. Like an Ohio versus Tennessee guard or something. The one from last year should be Open class now.

If anybody has access to the drive, can you resend the link to me? Thanks! Still haven't seen much of anything! ❤️

Some results from todays CG competition at Morton Ranch HS, this is the Scholastic JV Regional A group.

Cy-Fair HS JV

69.300 (1)

Ross S. Sterling HS JV

62.540 (5)

Terry HS JV

64.500 (3)

George Ranch JV

65.620 (2)

Seven Lakes HS -JV

63.360 (4)

Conroe HS JV

0.000 (7)

Cypress Park JV

62.160 (6)

Cypress Woods HS JV

60.440 (4)

Katy High School JV

61.820 (2)

Oak Ridge High School

59.460 (5)

Cypress Creek HS JV

0.000 (7)

Madisonville HS JV

52.740 (6)

Cypress Ranch HS JV

61.280 (3)

Barbers Hill HS JV

69.040 (1)

Here are some scores from the TCGC competition at Pieper HS today. 

Scholastic National A:

Georgetown HS Varsity 67.690 (1)
Lockhart HS 67.350 (2)
Pieper High School - Purple 66.520 (3)
Lake Belton HS 65.990 (4)
Louis D. Brandeis HS 65.550 (5)
New Braunfels HS 65.340 (6)
McNeil HS 64.390 (7)
Round Rock HS Varsity 63.640 (8)
Canyon HS Varsity 60.890 (9)

Independent A:

Origins A 70.900 (1)
Ether Independent 48.430 (2)

Scholastic Open:
Ronald Reagan HS 64.500 (1)
Lake Travis HS 56.100 (2)
Claudia Taylor Johnson HS 52.100 (3)

vids from Morton Ranch are currently uploading to drive. Cy Woods to the end. ur welcome!!

standout was Grand Oaks. will be surprised if they don't win WGI Houston. general imp is that it could place near the top at Dayton also. extra points for exploring the Black Sheep idea. one of my ideas for a show actually, but their's is def cuter lol. seems like the kind of show wgi will fall hard for. amazing performance too.

Katy wasn't too far off of them imo, very different energy tho, 90s punk grunge skater whatever show. performers killed it. got tanked in movement a little. lotsa fun. loved the barbarian style ground hammering LOL. THUD THUD! it's like, you WILL pay attention to us.

Cy woods still around where they were last yr, haven't missed a beat. will be back in National A next week probably lol. also thought 7 lakes and James e Taylor were strong in the regular A class, better than half of the ones in National A imo.

open class was a bit of a cluster f b/w the top 3. thought clear brook's performers killed it but the show they've been given is not at their level right now, in terms of staging success and general aesthetic. kind of chasing last yr in terms of mood, too. prob not fully fleshed out yet. Bridgeland had by far the best show compositionally but they seemed to be overreaching a little w/ the skills, tho they've still got 2+ months to clean it. very layered and musical and dynamic however. Jordan was kinda b/w those two for me, maybe the best balance of design + performance. their opening wowed me, loved how they moved + the staging. very colorful too.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

vids from Morton Ranch are currently uploading to drive. Cy Woods to the end. ur welcome!!

standout was Grand Oaks. will be surprised if they don't win WGI Houston. general imp is that it could place near the top at Dayton also. extra points for exploring the Black Sheep idea. one of my ideas for a show actually, but their's is def cuter lol. seems like the kind of show wgi will fall hard for. amazing performance too.

Katy wasn't too far off of them imo, very different energy tho, 90s punk grunge skater whatever show. performers killed it. got tanked in movement a little. lotsa fun. loved the barbarian style ground hammering LOL. THUD THUD! it's like, you WILL pay attention to us.

Cy woods still around where they were last yr, haven't missed a beat. will be back in National A next week probably lol. also thought 7 lakes and James e Taylor were strong in the regular A class, better than half of the ones in National A imo.

open class was a bit of a cluster f b/w the top 3. thought clear brook's performers killed it but the show they've been given is not at their level right now, in terms of staging success and general aesthetic. kind of chasing last yr in terms of mood, too. prob not fully fleshed out yet. Bridgeland had by far the best show compositionally but they seemed to be overreaching a little w/ the skills, tho they've still got 2+ months to clean it. very layered and musical and dynamic however. Jordan was kinda b/w those two for me, maybe the best balance of design + performance. their opening wowed me, loved how they moved + the staging. very colorful too.

😍🤩😘

I wonder if Grand Oaks will remain in A after WGI Houston. The entire guard seems to be doing above class skills. Cypress Woods and Katy both do a fair number of above class skills as well, but I think Grand Oaks stands out by how seamlessly they connect their phrases with movement. It's very fluid for your typical A guard. Anyway, it's a wonderful show, regardless of where it ends up.

Katy is giving me Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibes, and I love it. 😂 There is no question about the performers' identity.

Cypress Woods indeed has not suffered at all from the director transition. Is this a chimney sweep show? I love the aesthetic.

Clear Brook's floor probably isn't done. This doesn't seem like the final look for their show. Too much black all over the place. The kids, however, spin and toss and move among the best in this class. I agree that the overall vibe feels similar to last year's show. It has a sultry kind of feel.

I haven't watched the others. I still need to finish up the January ones. 😭