UIL 6A Area B 2023

On 10/1/2023 at 2:03 PM, BandNerd07 said:

So I just wanted to give some recognition to James Bowie and Grand Prairie. Obviously no one really talks about them because they are both small bands and have gotten 2's in recent years, but after watching them, I think they are good for their size. While visually, both of them are kind of a mess, musically they are actually clean. In fact, they are probably cleaner than some bands that have advanced in the past. Although they will probably not get that far, I think they are both on track to getting 1st division and advance to area, which means more bands, and more opportunity for the higher bands to advance to state. Here's a livestream of their game. Bowie performs at around 2:11:00 and Grand Prairie performs at around 2:22:00. 

See? This is proof that everything I am saying is true, Bowie got straight 1's today. Grand Prairie performs later this evening, so I'll post an update after their performance.

16 minutes ago, Jacob2017 said:

Lamar ended up getting 2 1 2, so that's down them and Sam Houston.

Yup, that makes 2 bands in this area that failed to get 1'sat region. That means if 2 or more bands fail to get 1's then we'll only see 6 bands advance to state. Man, this is really coming down to the wire and it's only the first day of region contests...

3 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

For me, it's Coppell, Waxahachie, and Timber Creek. It was originally Keller, but I did noticed that they started to slip at HEB. I might add Keller back to this after seeing the results of BOA Prosper.

i agree! i would argue that duncanville could slip in there somewhere, but admittedly i haven’t seen their full show this year haha. if it’s anything like the past few years, i could definitely see them being a lock.

i know this is just for finals, but i honestly think finals won’t be as predictable this year. the past two years have shown a common trend in which schools advance to finals, as this is arguably one of the most stacked areas, but i could definitely see a few shocks this season! super excited to see how this plays out.

8 minutes ago, randomguardkid07 said:

who are y’all’s locks for state? i know they were said earlier in the thread, but things have definitely changed since then….

Right now my locks would be Keller, TC, and Coppell. It's hard to know where to put Duncanville right now, but after Prosper we should have a solid idea of where to put them. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Top Half (state): Coppell, Keller, TC, Bell, SLC, Waxahachie 

Bottom Half: KC, D-Ville, Lake Ridge, Berkner, Lake Highlands, Haltom/Highland park? 

it's looking to very much look like area last year, although I don't see James Martin making it, but other than that, and maybe Berkner not making it (they are really good again this year) I don't see it being much different than last year. 

5 minutes ago, randomguardkid07 said:

i agree! i would argue that duncanville could slip in there somewhere, but admittedly i haven’t seen their full show this year haha. if it’s anything like the past few years, i could definitely see them being a lock.

i know this is just for finals, but i honestly think finals won’t be as predictable this year. the past two years have shown a common trend in which schools advance to finals, as this is arguably one of the most stacked areas, but i could definitely see a few shocks this season! super excited to see how this plays out.

And also, let's not forget to mention Bell. I haven't seen the whole show yet, but from a clip that I saw, they are having one of their best seasons yet. And they're also getting stronger musically compared to in the past. If anything they might also be a lock for state.

3 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

For me, it's Coppell, Waxahachie, and Timber Creek. It was originally Keller, but I did noticed that they started to slip at HEB. I might add Keller back to this after seeing the results of BOA Prosper.

Keller also placed 4th at HEB last year and 5th in 2021. Each time they advanced and made state finals 🤷‍♂️. I might be wrong but I think they even had better ordinals at HEB this year than previous 

4 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Right now my locks would be Keller, TC, and Coppell. It's hard to know where to put Duncanville right now, but after Prosper we should have a solid idea of where to put them. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Bottom Half: KC, D-Ville, Lake Ridge, Berkner, Lake Highlands, Haltom/Highland park? 

it's looking to very much look like area last year, although I don't see James Martin making it, but other than that, and maybe Berkner not making it (they are really good again this year) I don't see it being much different than last year. 

imo lake ridge’s show is weaker than it has been in the past few years…they are definitely very skilled and im not saying they’re going to get knocked out of finals but i am keeping that in mind when i make my predictions.

btw, does anyone have a video of haltom’s show? i can’t seem to find one.

i love this time of year lol i love area. very excited to see everyone perform next saturday!

2 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah, looks like a solid list, but there are a few other contenders for area finalists this year such as Boswell and Fossil Ridge. Both are extremely underrated and they also bad significant progress since HEB. And here's just a flashback from last year, do y'all remember how everyone predicted that Haltom and Highland Park would be area finalists, but they weren't and instead James Martin and Berkner were? While I still think Berkner can make area finals, I also agree that James Martin probably won't.

6 minutes ago, randomguardkid07 said:

imo lake ridge’s show is weaker than it has been in the past few years…they are definitely very skilled and im not saying they’re going to get knocked out of finals but i am keeping that in mind when i make my predictions.

btw, does anyone have a video of haltom’s show? i can’t seem to find one.

i love this time of year lol i love area. very excited to see everyone perform next saturday!

There’s a football livestream between Haltom and Byron Nelson from a few days ago 

i think my top 20 is this for now (will def change after this weekends competitions!)

1. coppell

2. timber creek

3. keller

4. waxahachie

5. duncanville (could switch with waxahachie depending)

6.  SLC

7.  bell

8. keller central

9. lake highlands 

10. berkner

11. highland park

12. lake ridge

13. haltom

14. fossil ridge

15. boswell 

16. mansfield 

17. trinity

18. martin

19. legacy

20. chisholm trail

1 minute ago, randomguardkid07 said:

i think my top 20 is this for now (will def change after this weekends competitions!)

1. coppell

2. timber creek

3. keller

4. waxahachie

5. duncanville (could switch with waxahachie depending)

6.  SLC

7.  bell

8. keller central

9. lake highlands 

10. berkner

11. highland park

12. lake ridge

13. haltom

14. fossil ridge

15. boswell 

16. mansfield 

17. trinity

18. martin

19. legacy

20. chisholm trail

pls ignore the edit i fudged that list BAD its been a long day lol. also keep in mind that i am a guard kid that didn’t know much about the details of marching band until this year don’t be too hard on me 😖

24 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

I don’t know that Keller’s highest score at HEB since 2019 can be considered a slip…but anyway, I think there’s a good chance that the top 8 from last year is the same this year, with Coppell, Keller, and Waxahachie being the safest locks based on consistency in the past. It’s gonna come down to who can have a clean, full show, especially since it’s a week earlier in the season. Performance time could play a role with how competitive this area is. I’m pulling for Timber, Bell, and Central if 6 advance. But I also really like Carroll’s show. Haven’t seen Duncanville at all.

1 minute ago, Origin said:

I don’t know that Keller’s highest score at HEB since 2019 can be considered a slip…but anyway, I think there’s a good chance that the top 8 from last year is the same this year, with Coppell, Keller, and Waxahachie being the safest locks based on consistency in the past. It’s gonna come down to who can have a clean, full show, especially since it’s a week earlier in the season. Performance time could play a role with how competitive this area is. I’m pulling for Timber, Bell, and Central if 6 advance. But I also really like Carroll’s show. Haven’t seen Duncanville at all.

carroll’s show is SOOOOO GOOOD oh my goodness i love it so much. maybe im just a sucker for pretty shows but it’s very up my alley haha

I feel like Keller's final product is going to be stronger than it has been the past two years based on what I've seen so far and the potential for the show.  I hope they make the theme and visual program a bit more immersive, though.  That said, I'm a bit worried about Area this year, as it will be several weeks before the end of Keller's season and they tend to make huge progress in their final week or two (and I think they do that on purpose).  I have trouble seeing six bands beating them out for state spots though.  I'd guess they land somewhere in the 3-5 range.  Hopefully they can keep their streak of state finals appearances too but I'm worried about that.