UIL 6A Area B 2023

5 hours ago, ilovebandRAHHH said:

ik i asked earlier but what were your thoughts on richardson? unfortunately we were victims of electronic issues

Could you refresh my memory on what your show was about? They were the show that got away from me, I forgot to comment on them. I’ll do my best to comment on what I remember from their performance. 

I did not stay for finals but I did see them in prelims. 

6 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Could you refresh my memory on what your show was about? They were the show that got away from me, I forgot to comment on them. I’ll do my best to comment on what I remember from their performance. 

I did not stay for finals but I did see them in prelims. 

The Richardson show this year was beyond pandora, it was based on the movie ‘Avatar’. Such a shame their electronics were out in the beginning. 
I’ve seen clips of their show (Though I don’t remember where) and the beginning had a woodwind choir, but they were hard to hear because of the audio issue. I loved the idea of their show and hope to see them make area finals in years to come.

3 hours ago, cjm715 said:

Congrats to Haltom and Berkner on making the SMBC!! How long has it been for both programs since they’ve been to San Antonio for UIL?

Berkner was 2016 in Area C. Missed for the first time in 20 years in 2018, RISD tanked the season in 2020, moved to this area in 2021.

30 minutes ago, Mello10273 said:

The Richardson show this year was beyond pandora, it was based on the movie ‘Avatar’. Such a shame their electronics were out in the beginning. 
I’ve seen clips of their show (Though I don’t remember where) and the beginning had a woodwind choir, but they were hard to hear because of the audio issue. I loved the idea of their show and hope to see them make area finals in years to come.

Ok I’m starting to remember. I looked up some pictures of the show online and I remember being impressed by how well they made that big circle formation in the opener. I know large curvilinear formations like that take work to pull of. I see on the results sheet that the two visual judges placed them higher than 2/3 of the music judges, so it seems their visual proficiency was at a high level during prelims and they were close to making finals because of it

13 minutes ago, Jon said:

Just found out that if you add up the Prelims results, SLC and KCent tied for 7th... wow. If we went off prelims results alone 8 bands would have advanced.(i think there was a new rule about advancing tied bands for state.)

Was there a rule change for this year? Because I know for the past two years we had ties for the last state spot and those were broken by judges preference. (I think they were both area b, or was one also in area c?)

23 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Was there a rule change for this year? Because I know for the past two years we had ties for the last state spot and those were broken by judges preference. (I think they were both area b, or was one also in area c?)

Yes there was a rule change prior to this season.  I think the recent ties in Area B and C likely contributed to the support for allowing ties for the final state spots to result in both bands qualifying.

3 minutes ago, Iheartdrums said:

Was there a percussion judge yesterday? Very curious to see the percussion scores and rankings

No, they don't do caption judges at area, but in the more broken down scores which unfortunately weren't posted, the music judges rank the percussions themselves within the overall music rank. 

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Just found out that if you add up the Prelims results, SLC and KCent tied for 7th... wow. If we went off prelims results alone 8 bands would have advanced.(i think there was a new rule about advancing tied bands for state.)

Now go Read what I said about a judge spike.  

3 hours ago, Iheartdrums said:

Was there a percussion judge yesterday? Very curious to see the percussion scores and rankings

Every music judge at area judges percussion, there are specialized percussion judges at State that many say are a lot better at being “accurate” or at least calling it like it is with what they hear!

4 hours ago, alex4nder said:

Would also like to mention that Haltom didn't even make area finals the last 2 years (13th in 2021 and 15th in 2022) so to end up 5th in prelims and 6th in finals is a pretty impressive turn around from the program. Especially in such a brutal area. 

Yes, I'm really happy for Haltom.  It's good to see a comeback year for them.