2023 Show Announcements

3 hours ago, Ain'tNoBand said:

2023 Duncanville High School. Four teams take the field. Which team will stand victorious? Let the games begin...

Tag Team

On Eagle's Wings - Robert W. Smith

Javelin - Michael Torke

Team - Lorde

Epiphanies - Ron Nelson

Finale to Symphony No. 8 - Anton Bruckner

Design Team - Michael Shapiro, Wayne Downey, Peter Beckhart, Brandon Cummings and Luke Vogt

IMG_20230513_161113_958.jpg

I am very much looking forward to see this show. 

4 hours ago, Ain'tNoBand said:

2023 Duncanville High School. Four teams take the field. Which team will stand victorious? Let the games begin...

Tag Team

Javelin - Michael Torke

Team - Lorde

Epiphanies - Ron Nelson

Design Team - Michael Shapiro, Wayne Downey, Peter Beckhart, Brandon Cummings and Luke Vogt

I'm getting Center Grove vibes from this one -- like A Futuristic Game of Capture the Flag. It should be a lot of fun! 👍

9 hours ago, packwick said:

anyway im off to watch a certain Indy band from 2004 again. and if i have time maybe one of those DCI championship shows from the first half of the 90s. kinda late tho.

Lawrence Central and Blue Devils? But I don't recall trolls or showgirls being involved... 🤔🤔🤔

5 hours ago, Ain'tNoBand said:

Tag Team

Javelin - Michael Torke

Team - Lorde

Epiphanies - Ron Nelson

Idk why, but it’s giving me kid friendly hunger game vibes, and I’m so here for it!!! I hope they have their whole show ready for the Prosper regional, because Ik the crowd is going to absolutely fall in love with this, as well as the judges! I really wanna see the props and uniforms so bad!! This might be the one I’m currently looking forwards to the most 

7 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Lawrence Central and Blue Devils? But I don't recall trolls or showgirls being involved... 🤔🤔🤔

ummm pretty much all marching band shows from 1990 thru about 2010 featured both trolls (technically goblins, from Nilbog) and showgirls. u must have missed them.

i rewatched a few vids from those eras, was struck by how much marching and playing at the same time and actual drill there was lol. i wanna say the choreo is more advanced today but that LC show on multi for example showed otherwise, pretty much the same stuff u see today. meanwhile i think most tx BOA bands were chasing Spring 93 but didn't have the time to clean it and were filthy. heck even Spring wasn't that clean visually in 93. def directors have gotten smarter/more cautious/more realistic ---> cleaner shows but more park and bark.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:27 PM, packwick said:

heck even Spring wasn't that clean visually in 93.

Blasphemy! You take that back! 😄

I'm a big fan myself of the Studio Ghibli films. I'm wondering if Totoro has ever been done on the field. Has there ever been a Catbus?

Remember, my inbox is always open, if you're willing to share more specific information. I won't share it with others. 😉

34 minutes ago, packwick said:

oOoOO, ooo, Joe Hisaishi??? yaaasssss. how did i miss this one!!! loooove his music love love love it, gorgeous melodies, lush orchestrations. wonder which one they're doing. i suggested twhs do his music a few years ago, think it was mostly Tales of Princess Kaguya. masterpiece btw. cmooonnn Bowieeeee!!! make me cryyy. future forum post: shows that deeply moved me: James Bowie 2023. 

speaking of twhs, news to report: no title announced, and won't divulge the music but theyre sounding good, at least considering they just learned the music lmao. if im gonna be nitpicky...  well i would neeeeverrr do that so earrrlyy *cough mellophone intonation cough* *cough utter lack of dynamics cough cough* *hack hack cough wimpy soprano book cough*

overall like the music so far, esp dem triplets in the mellos, tho the pieces are familiar. worrying the ballad is too gentle, like it's lovely, beautiful warm woodwind tones, but it wafts right by. last two years' were SO impactful, i want that again lol. no perc yet though so we'll see.

guard is just.... yeeeah... gurl, i mean... yes. just, yes. major trump card. if they can actually get this stuff clean and uniform it'll be the best high school color guard performance ive seen. phrazzze density off the charts and so unnecessarily difficult for a fall marching show lmao. like you're probably not even gonna get credited for all of it depending on the judge.

ok and how big is that f***ing rifle line???! tricky spins galore, entire group of 5+ girls doing an illusion under a 6, which is like a solo trick toss for world groups, plus like the somersault under the toss, the entire group of flags doing the roll under the toss, turn tosses from the ground, the girl who did the cartwheel under the toss and didn't quite get it, but girl.. holy crap that's hard. i wanna see a full line of front walkovers lmao. give it to meeee. can u imagine? i would explode. maybe more skills of flexibility too. give me linesss. feed meee.

One would imagine the winds can get as much grace as the guard does, considering it is May!! I trust they’ll flesh out and make their arrangement and performance of it more dynamic! No one is performing marvelously as of now👀

On 5/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Idk why, but it’s giving me kid friendly hunger game vibes, and I’m so here for it!!! I hope they have their whole show ready for the Prosper regional, because Ik the crowd is going to absolutely fall in love with this, as well as the judges! I really wanna see the props and uniforms so bad!! This might be the one I’m currently looking forwards to the most 

By October 14th I would imagine most bands at the contest would have a significant chunk of their closer on the field(tag endings still possible) if not all of theirs on the field. Especially with Area being just one week out after this and Region being sandwiched in there somewhere haha…except for Keller!! They may still have quite a bit to go for their longer Grand Nats show to be completed haha

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

I'm a big fan myself of the Studio Ghibli films. I'm wondering if Totoro has ever been done on the field. Has there ever been a Catbus?

Remember, my inbox is always open, if you're willing to share more specific information. I won't share it with others. 😉

i shall regretfully respect Baby Giraffe's wishes to not share the videos on social media. that's my nickname for the new director btdubs. kinda tall, lanky and baby faced. saw him at pretty much every guard contest last season which impressed me, eventually started calling him Baby G 🦒.

50 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

One would imagine the winds can get as much grace as the guard does, considering it is May!! I trust they’ll flesh out and make their arrangement and performance of it more dynamic! No one is performing marvelously as of now👀

i mean im already more impressed w/ the music perf than i was last year early season when i was freaked out. buuut based on the last couple years they've gotta narrow that music perf gap w/ Hebron if they wanna come out on top. everyone does. one of the top 3 biggest gaps ever bw 1st and 2nd at SA in that caption last year.

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

The marching in that show turned a lot of heads back then! Playing wasn't bad as well. Was a special show in my book.

8 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Oh, Lord. 😅

I was absolutely obsessed with it. It's a legendary show. And any dirt that may have been there needs to be weighed against the fact that they were pretty much running around and playing the whole time. You don't see that anymore!

I watch that show every once in a while and still marvel at how much work it took to put that together. I'm not sure you could do this show post-8 hour rule.

9 hours ago, packwick said:

i mean im already more impressed w/ the music perf than i was last year early season when i was freaked out. buuut based on the last couple years they've gotta narrow that music perf gap w/ Hebron if they wanna come out on top. everyone does. one of the top 3 biggest gaps ever bw 1st and 2nd at SA in that caption last year.

I really do wonder how they’ll each both max out their kids in that regard. Hebron will more than likely tear the house down at Indy with their steady improvement, even of their own standards year-to-year, I think they’ll be hard to catch in that music caption for sure, though I’m sure Avon, Carmel and Mason won’t be slouches either. It’s promising already that the woodlands’ kids are in a better place to start with, but to have a really good idea of where they’re at, all performing elements have to come together and that’s not ‘till band camp😮😮 very excited to see both groups at Grand Nats and earlier. Much buzz will be buzzing around all 8 TX groups that are going! Lots to talk about haha

2 hours ago, FaultLineBlues said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csedy-IOZB-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Cedar Ridge still doesn't have a show announcement out, but they did post a snippet from their parent performance (last slide) which is uncharacteristic for how quiet they normally are about show content! 

They already sound crazy good

25 minutes ago, SleepySeal said:

Harker Heights HS - “Songbird”

Air Waltz - Oliver Davis

Flight of the Thunderbird - R. Saucedo

Arrival of the Birds - The Cinematic Orchestra

Bird Set Free - Sia

New Moon in the Old Moons Arms - Kamen

Paradise/Peponi - Coldplay/The Piano Guys

image.thumb.png.fe5d45df126ab5ae76b6c1c23e1f0166.png

Always down for some New Moon in the Old Moons Arms! 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:22 PM, solyxx said:

Cedar Ridge HS: “Medusa’s Secret World”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CspUg8rtYdv/?igshid=ZWQyN2ExYTkwZQ==

IMG_3722.jpeg.b4b32d015c844136a74d444777c3a2c5.jpeg

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Sergei Rachmanioff

All Night Long by Lionel Richie - Jacob Collier’s version

This looks so fun! I’m loving the disco theme going on and I already know they’re going to kill this!

iiiinteresting concept. "how did Medusa party before she was turned into a hideous monster?" lolol

Vista Ridge is doing Icon, according to their Insta. looooks... fabulous? wondering if it's by the same design team as last year. seems like a 180, not as serious/intellectual/whatever. maybe they wanted something more fun.