UIL 4A State Marching Contest 2023 (November 1)

Dave609

1 hour ago, christopher13 said:

what schools are predicted to move up to 5a?

Alice, Anna, Kaufman as far as State Advancers for 4A.

Splendora and West Fork, both out of 4A Area C will also be moving up into 5A as Splendora has almost 1500 kids and then West Fork has 1,658 kids. 

I think Lindale and Sulphur Springs will move up after this upcoming realignment.

42 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

Splendora and West Fork, both out of 4A Area C will also be moving up into 5A as Splendora has almost 1500 kids and then West Fork has 1,658 kids. 

I think Lindale and Sulphur Springs will move up after this upcoming realignment.

Davenport very much in the borderline area of moving up.  Projected at 1,331 last year. 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, J-Mike16 said:

It all depends on UIL at this point. Last year the cut off was 1300 and SS turned in under that. 

1 hour ago, viejo said:

Just putting this out there for next year… Pine Tree is projected to be moving down to 4A next year. Do y’all think this will cause some changes or no?

Oooooo Um yes for sure! They had an incredible season, obviously making state for the (I believe) first time in program history against some very accomplished programs! They finished 4th at Golden Triangle this year over 3 5A area B finalist (yes ik it's wonky scoring and very early season but it's still something), but yes, assuming they keep up their momentum they will almost 100% make state and probably state finals as well, don't know what area they would be in but could also see them winning that area for many years, very underrated band that's been very much on the rise post-covid 

14 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Oooooo Um yes for sure! They had an incredible season, obviously making state for the (I believe) first time in program history against some very accomplished programs! They finished 4th at Golden Triangle this year over 3 5A area B finalist (yes ik it's wonky scoring and very early season but it's still something), but yes, assuming they keep up their momentum they will almost 100% make state and probably state finals as well, don't know what area they would be in but could also see them winning that area for many years, very underrated band that's been very much on the rise post-covid 

If Pine Tree moves down, they would be placed in 4A Area C. 

14 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

It was their second time! Their first appearance was in 1985, in the same classification :). I could definitely see them make finals if/when they move back to 4A!

1 hour ago, tylerolivera said:

Do we know who all is moving up and down 100%? (Bands that would be a threat)

No 100% yet - once the snapshot numbers were released by UIL from all the campuses thats when the real fun began of guessing where everybody lands, they'll be releasing the reclassification alignment in the future which will put every program in their difference conferences 

for 4A, i've heard rumors of Kaufman, Sulphur Springs, and Lindale all moving up, and for sure Anna

Apparently Panther Creek only has 1100 or so, but they're still a frisco school, so their numbers for next year will possibly be 1400 or so with the new school year which is a little messed up

I've also heard of Davenport moving up

I think Lumberton's numbers are pretty close but not enough to bump them, and pretty much every canyon school is about the same as lumberton (1100-1250)

On 10/15/2023 at 6:13 PM, criscubes said:

6 hours ago, tylerolivera said:

for 4A, i've heard rumors of Kaufman, Sulphur Springs, and Lindale all moving up, and for sure Anna

Apparently Panther Creek only has 1100 or so, but they're still a frisco school, so their numbers for next year will possibly be 1400 or so with the new school year which is a little messed up

I've also heard of Davenport moving up

I think Lumberton's numbers are pretty close but not enough to bump them, and pretty much every canyon school is about the same as lumberton (1100-1250)

As of now, unless the cutoff numbers go down which I doubt.  SS and Lindale will stay in 4A. Kaufman is on the fence and Anna for sure is going to move up.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:30 PM, tylerolivera said:

So how does it work if kaufman (who turned in at 1340) has 1340, and say the limit rises to 1350, will they stay in 4A by 10 kids..? Seems quite unfair

That's how it works.

The UIL sets the cutoffs to try to balance the # of schools in each classification. They have to take into account the schools who will opt up and then they set the cutoffs. 

On 12/6/2023 at 12:56 PM, LKendrick said:

Pine Tree submitted enrollment in the 1,250s so they'll almost assuredly move down.   They should compete very well in 4A, really enjoyed their show this year and seems like they are on an upswing.  

And with that, Sulphur Springs submitted 1,290. Looks like they are moving back up.