2023 BOA DFW (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah I’m a bit surprised, especially Forney, but this comp is so competitive, bet them and LS weren’t to far out 

Yeah. I thought Forney would make finals considering they had a caption, and I just thought Lone Star would place well enough too, but I guess not. Wow, genuinely surprised at some of these

3 minutes ago, TWHSParent said:

They have their best show for several years - not "safe" like some of their recent shows. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Flower Mound was too "safe" with this show to knock off Hebron at a BOA contest. I'm not surprised they took visual. They are focusing on UIL, and I think it shows. This Flower Mound show will be a beast for UIL state.

I don’t even think they were safe, I have to disagree here. It can’t start and stop at the concept, I feel like the performance itself was very characteristically FloMo, they were in their bag for all the tricks they typically pull out, very talented bassoonists, very good woodwinds and brass overall. The ballad was probably the most safe in terms of what they typically try, in that they actually had one this year whereas the last few years they kinda didn’t!

I would also disagree in having Hebron under them, they’re probably going to have a better performance under the lights than what they had a little while ago imo

2 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I don’t even think they were safe, I have to disagree here. It can’t start and stop at the concept, I feel like the performance itself was very characteristically FloMo, they were in their bag for all the tricks they typically pull out, very talented bassoonists, very good woodwinds and brass overall. The ballad was probably the most safe in terms of what they typically try, in that they actually had one this year whereas the last few years they kinda didn’t!

I did think they are gearing the show more for UIL. It's the first thing I thought about when seeing it. Not so much safe, but more of what the UIL judges will like. Nothing wrong with that!

7 minutes ago, TWHSParent said:

They have their best show for several years - not "safe" like some of their recent shows. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Flower Mound was too "safe" with this show to knock off Hebron at a BOA contest. I'm not surprised they took visual. They are focusing on UIL, and I think it shows. This Flower Mound show will be a beast for UIL state.

i don't think FloMo was safe at all!! lots of demand. unless you're referring to concept or something.

4 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I would also disagree in having Hebron under them, they’re probably going to have a better performance under the lights than what they had a little while ago imo

I don't mean "safe" in a negative way. To me "safe" means designing to what UIL rewards, and it is safe because Texas bands do that type of design all the time. They will still do well in BOA (obviously), but it won't knock off the top shows with a BOA focus.

1 minute ago, TWHSParent said:

I don't mean "safe" in a negative way. To me "safe" means designing to what UIL rewards, and it is safe because Texas bands do that type of design all the time. They will still do well in BOA (obviously), but it won't knock off the top shows with a BOA focus.

I understand, that’s what I was meaning as well. And I personally think that’s a bit nebulous to assume, on a case-by-case basis, and comparing to another group, even though Hebron is going to Grand Nats, theirs was more of a “throw everything we’re good at but the kitchen sink and see what sticks” production, and that did disappoint me in what i saw some. I’m more of a “performance carries the day” philosophy wise on shows anyways. I thought FloMo had a very whole, sound production that aligns with their creative philosophy and caters and exhibits their strengths very tastefully, not on the nose or forced. 

1 hour ago, Vidal28 said:

I’m not surprised at these results personally, even though Forney was good, I thought they played their cards a bit to safe, similar to maybe Lone Star somewhat, they both are fantastic groups though and are definitely gonna respond!! This was a really tough finals pool to crack!

I was surprised since forney placed higher than Keller central and Aledo last week but didn’t make finals this week. Competition is stiff 

9 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I was surprised since forney placed higher than Keller central and Aledo last week but didn’t make finals this week. Competition is stiff 

Albeit I didn’t hear Forney as a whole production today, what i did hear i thought was good, but I didn’t think it was better than what Aledo and KC had going for them, especially KC, that show is momentum, momentum, tension, and more momentum all the way through. Aledo I thought had a very varied and challenging music production as well

9 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Oh wow I didn’t even realize this. And not just beat them, significantly ahead of them by 2 and 4 points respectively. Maybe that early performance slot hurt them. 

Will make next week even more interesting though!