2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

10 minutes ago, VandyBandyFandy said:

I have always said this. I personally LOVE CTJ's shows every year. They definitely go over the top with props, dress, etc. I think it makes for a fantastic show. And it's the one me (and my band kid) look forward to most every year. It's also insane how they keep adding even MORE elements every week, even going into the very last show. That's nuts and insanely hard to pull off. But I think judges tend to like more traditional shows, and that hurts them. But don't ever change, CTJ, because we love it. 

I always appreciate the shows that CTJ puts out and they level they perform those shows. But, I generally do not like their shows as theygenerally feel just a little too over the top for my sensibilities. This year's show is one of my favorites by them in a long time. It is visually quite accessible and it does harken back to more "traditional" style of marching band. I think not pushing the design envelop has hurt them in judge's eyes this season. And that really sucks because their show is one of my favorites of the season. 

7 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

I always appreciate the shows that CTJ puts out and they level they perform those shows. But, I generally do not like their shows as theygenerally feel just a little too over the top for my sensibilities. This year's show is one of my favorites by them in a long time. It is visually quite accessible and it does harken back to more "traditional" style of marching band. I think not pushing the design envelop has hurt them in judge's eyes this season. And that really sucks because their show is one of my favorites of the season. 

It’s not just that.    Their drill has been very dirty and the balance a little off.    They are still top tier.    Just not elite this year.    No knock.    Different kids every year!

1 hour ago, CDLune VA said:

I’m sure Cedar Park will place decently. It’s just that being one of the first bands to go isn’t ideal. Even if Cedar’s run is amazing, their show becomes more forgettable if any bands going later blow the judges away.

Each band is scored by the judge's personal standard, not by how they compare to other bands. Cedar Park doesn't need to be remembered later in the day for consideration of scoring other bands. There is no consistency by scoring by comparison. 

5 minutes ago, Saxplayer6 said:

How was Wylie East hoping they do better than state here. 

I really liked Wylie East today - the woodwind sound being a highlight!  Their props were really trippy and the theming was very fun. Not sure how they placed at state but I’m imagining they’ll finish around the high bubble today. They definitely have a shot at finals - it’s just such a tough bubble this year. (like every year lol)