2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

TARPON SPRINGS WANTS THE GOLD!!!! If that performance doesn't give them it, I don't know what could have! I mean, that was perfection as its finest! They have only gotten better each run, and I think they did what they needed to do! My favorite show of they year by far!!! Congratulations to Tarpon on a phenomenal season! 

Ughhhhhhh I just adore Carmel’s show. I love how all the equipment is in the benches! It creates such a clean look. Not necessarily as perfect of a performance as the pervious three, but most of the drops were on small stuff. They nail every single big moment. I can not get over those sit roll tosses during one of the quietest moment of the show. Anyone else kindof annoyed by the audience clapping along to the music? Idk maybe it’s just me. 

1 minute ago, Origin said:

Ughhhhhhh I just adore Carmel’s show. I love how all the equipment is in the benches! It creates such a clean look. Not necessarily as perfect of a performance as the pervious three, but all the drops were on small stuff. They nail every single big moment. I can not get over those sit roll tosses during one of the quietest moment of the show. Anyone else kindof annoyed by the audience clapping along to the music? Idk maybe it’s just me. 

No it definitely wasn't just you. It's supposed to be a more beautiful type show, but the clapping definitely doesn't help them with that effect. I do love the benches too, really cool and creative use of them! and yeah those sit roll tosses were just so impressive! 

The top 5 were on a different level.

Arcadia was FANTASTIC. I like that somebody mentioned how cinematic they were. That's what I felt watching their show as well -- with those huge orchestral crescendos. They move and spin so elegantly. The catches weren't quite as clean in hand-placement compared to the 4 ahead of them, but still very well done. The floor and general set design were mesmerizing. This is science fiction done right.

Avon totally slayed with that performance -- the first of 3 very hungry performances. Super clean catches, super high energy, the audience LOVED this one. Bond shows aren't new, we get several every year, but none of them have Avon's remarkable skills. They're really starting to look more like pre-pandemic Avon. The multicam makes you appreciate just how cleanly they move and do all of their catches. Everything is just SNAP SNAP SNAP.

The Woodlands gave 3 fabulous performances at Dayton. There wasn't a single one where they weren't awesome. I didn't see any drops at all in this performance. A loss of center on that final solo box toss -- the girl hopped off the box and still caught the rifle. Way to go! Flags maybe weren't quite as together at the end as the previous two performances, but still very, very good. This show is just so different and fascinating. It really is unlike anything I've seen before.

Tarpon Springs doesn't want to leave here without gold, and the audience doesn't want them to leave without it, either. Absolutely amazing performance from this group. The show is so enjoyable and energetic, and they gave maybe their best performance ever. Watching on multi, I saw only one drop during that group flag illusion at the end, but that's so minor. I loved seeing how much the performers were enjoying themselves on the floor, both the guard members and the cool-guy musicians. We as spectators feed off of that. The show has so much personality. Do I think they'll win gold? I think they should, despite Carmel's success thus far.

Carmel's show is just a charming delight. I know the audience doesn't connect with it as much -- that was clear by the rather tepid response at the end. It's not as Ra-Ra-Ra! high energy, but for guard aficionados there's so much to like here. The way they move and layer all of those skills -- they make it look so easy, but it's not. The staging is always clear and musical. There's a great attention to detail. That said, I don't think they had their best run tonight. It's not all about drops, but they did have several exposed ones. I think they did leave the door ever-so-slightly open for Tarpon.

16 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Tarpon Springs doesn't want to leave here without gold, and the audience doesn't want them to leave without it, either. Absolutely amazing performance from this group. The show is so enjoyable and energetic, and they gave maybe their best performance ever. Watching on multi, I saw only one drop during that group flag illusion at the end, but that's so minor. I loved seeing how much the performers were enjoying themselves on the floor, both the guard members and the cool-guy musicians. We as spectators feed off of that. The show has so much personality. Do I think they'll win gold? I think they should, despite Carmel's success thus far.

Tarpon Springs' musicians are so impressive. They played like professionals. I don't think there is any high school around that has enough good jazz players to compete with what they put out there.

15 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Tarpon Springs' musicians are so impressive. They played like professionals. I don't think there is any high school around that has enough good jazz players to compete with what they put out there.

Nah for real! It literally sounds like something of of a professional recording on the radio or a music app. 

4 minutes ago, Origin said:

I feel pretty confident about Paramount sealing the win with that performance. I just wonder how it’s gonna go with Carmel vs. Tarpon…

I think it's going to go to Tarpon. They had just a slightly cleaner performance, which is what will most likely give them a small edge. I really think they deserve it, and it seems like the crowd does too, but honestly at this point, i'm not making predictions because everyone was just on fire tonight.

lol ok finally somebody commented on YT what the music in twhs' is. i asked my percussionist brother-in-law what it was, he had no idea, he shazam-ed the first and middle parts of their semis perf for me yesterday and it got it wrong lol, like it pulled up some generic electronic music, so we still had no idea.

music is apparently by composer named Jameszoo, who did this oddity lol. i do really like it tho. it's fun and different.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2stXTHNtB-g&pp=ygUISmFtZXN6b28%3D

1 hour ago, packwick said:

lol ok finally somebody commented on YT what the music in twhs' is. i asked my percussionist brother-in-law what it was, he had no idea, he shazam-ed the first and middle parts of their semis perf for me yesterday and it got it wrong lol, like it pulled up some generic electronic music, so we still had no idea.

music is apparently by composer named Jameszoo, who did this oddity lol. i do really like it tho. it's fun and different.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2stXTHNtB-g&pp=ygUISmFtZXN6b28%3D

Sounds much like the music we listened to when I was in college in the late 70's, early 80's. Yes, chemicals were involved.