2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

1 hour ago, Origin said:

I went back and watched an older performance to see if their show was always like that, and today’s was completely different. I also think audio is very necessary to understand my reaction lol. 

If the Bellevue video they have up on YouTube is indicative of what they did today, it does all feel very *choose your own adventure*

14 minutes ago, stellamo said:

If the Bellevue video they have up on YouTube is indicative of what they did today, it does all feel very *choose your own adventure*

Yeah that was the older performance I was referencing. Unfortunately, today’s was completely different. It wasn’t even necessarily the performance that was baffling. I’m more talking about how the show started and the frankly irresponsible situation that the performers were put in today. I don’t think an explanation would do it justice, it’s definitely a “you just had to be there” situation. They’re rebroadcasting prelims tomorrow though.

Congratulations to all of the performers yesterday for great performances! And a special congrats to the following TX groups who made it into today's semifinals!

Scholastic A: Rock Hill, Mount Pleasant, Burleson Centennial, Georgetown, Clear Brook, Pebble Hills, Wylie, and Southlake Carroll.

Independent A: McKinney Boyd Independent and Eagle Mountain Independent

Scholastic Open: McKinney, Little Elm, Friendswood, and Westlake

Independent Open: Undaunted, Glory Independent, and ORIGINS Open

Scholastic World: Moe and Gene Johnson and The Woodlands

Independent World: Invictus, ORIGINS, and Mirage.

Wow tarpon, just wow! I would be pretty surprised if the scores aren't a bit closer after today, however, everyone killed it! I see why Carmel scored so high yesterday, and they probably will be our champs this weekend, but honestly, after today, I feel like anything could happen. Great performances all around! 

Was only able to catch Carmel in SW because of class. Definitely not their best performance in the first half of the show, but they brought it back. Nailed those sit roll tosses and everything at the very end! Still leading Tarpon decently comfortably. TWHS jumped up to being solidly in 3rd, yay!! I don’t know if it’s because Avon was weaker or the judges realized how good TWHS is. 

44 minutes ago, Origin said:

Was only able to catch Carmel in SW because of class. Definitely not their best performance in the first half of the show, but they brought it back. Nailed those sit roll tosses and everything at the very end! Still leading Tarpon decently comfortably. TWHS jumped up to being solidly in 3rd, yay!! I don’t know if it’s because Avon was weaker or the judges realized how good TWHS is. 

I just saw the scores and my goodness! I’m not really surprised at all, TW are just peaking right now, and I think the judges are realizing how good they are! I think tomorrow, we could honestly see some more movement, but I don’t think Avon will be in the top 3, and I think Tarpons got a decent chance of passing Carmel, but probably won’t happen.

happy for twhs, didn't catch the others but i was thinking "if they don't make top 3 after that performance it isn't happening" bc it was their best yet probably. actually they've been very consistent since state. excellence seems on par w/ vocab. hope they keep it up.

semis result is prob how i would have them in terms of gaps going into contest, would have switched Tarpon and Carmel. Carmel = super polished and great, consistently clear and compelling staging but not as engaging emotionally for me as Tarpon.

6 minutes ago, packwick said:

happy for twhs, didn't catch the others but i was thinking "if they don't make top 3 after that performance it isn't happening" bc it was their best yet probably. actually they've been very consistent since state. excellence seems on par w/ vocab. hope they keep it up.

semis result is prob how i would have them in terms of gaps going into contest, would have switched Tarpon and Carmel. Carmel = super polished and great, consistently clear and compelling staging but not as engaging emotionally for me as Tarpon.

Yeah that’s how I feel. I will admit, there are times where I feel like the music becomes too much of a focus, and it may be something the judges are feeling. If they’d just lower the volume a little, I think it could benefit them. Definitely think they still have a serious chance of winning tomorrow night.

Southlake Carroll and Rock Hill both slayed! Amazing job by those girls. Two of my favorite floors for sure this season, too. Aren't they gorgeous? I also love all the little science fiction movie references in SLC. "I can't let you do that, Dave..." 😄

I'm so happy to see Rock Hill here. My first impression seeing that show from the Coppell preview was that it looked like an A finalist, but throughout this season they haven't really been scored that way. But now, here they are! And it's well-deserved!