2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

52 minutes ago, lost said:

Can The Woodlands take scholastic world gold this year? As an uneducated guard person. I’m asking

Yes I believe they can tho Carmel might have something to say about it. My current prediction is TWHS takes Silver. Avon is dang good too tho, so it may be a repeat of 2022. 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Can The Woodlands take scholastic world gold this year? As an uneducated guard person. I’m asking

I think it's possible. I think TWHS probably has the most deeply talented guard in the country, but a lot depends on how the indoor show is written. Some guards are really good at playing to their strengths; other guards unnecessarily tax themselves. Clarity and being interesting and emotionally engaging is ultimately what wins you contests. I'll need to see the full Woodlands show to make a fair comparison to Carmel and Avon, preferably from a higher angle than what I've seen thus far. (And we can't forget about Tarpon Springs, too.) TWHS will probably want to at least match the 80 that Carmel got last weekend to be in the conversation.

I don't want to make early season scores seem super deterministic, because they aren't always, but I think a lot will be answered tomorrow, and not just in the world class. I'll try to catch what I can on Flo -- finals for sure. 

On 2/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, LeanderMomma said:

Here’s your WGI Houston schedule for this Saturday. 

Scholastic Regional A:

9:00 AM - Katy H.S. JV, TX
9:07 AM - Deer Park H.S., TX
9:14 AM - Foster H.S. JV, TX
9:21 AM - Heights H.S., TX
9:28 AM - Thomas Randle H.S., TX
9:35 AM - Waller H.S., TX
9:42 AM - George Bush H.S., TX

Scholastic A:

10:00 AM - C.E. King H.S., TX
10:08 AM - George Ranch H.S., TX
10:16 AM - Round Rock H.S., TX
10:24 AM - Magnolia West H.S., TX
10:32 AM - John B. Connally H.S., TX
10:40 AM - The Woodlands H.S., TX
10:48 AM - Georgetown H.S., TX
10:56 AM - Memorial (Houston) H.S., TX
11:04 AM - Cedar Park H.S., TX
11:12 AM - Klein Cain H.S., TX

11:35 AM - Lamar Consolidated H.S., TX
11:43 AM - Fulshear H.S., TX
11:51 AM - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
11:59 AM - Deer Park H.S., TX
12:07 PM - Clements H.S., TX
12:15 PM - Westlake H.S., LA
12:23 PM - Clear Creek H.S., TX
12:31 PM - Grand Oaks H.S., TX
12:39 PM - A&M Consolidated H.S., TX
12:47 PM - Foster H.S., TX
12:55 PM - Friendswood H.S., TX

1:45 PM - Katy H.S. Varsity, TX
1:53 PM - Bryan H.S. Varsity, TX
2:01 PM - Georgetown H.S. JV, TX
2:09 PM - Jordan H.S., TX
2:17 PM - Lake Travis H.S., TX
2:25 PM - Shadow Creek H.S., TX
2:33 PM - Clear Brook H.S., TX
2:41 PM - Pearland H.S., TX
2:49 PM - New Braunfels H.S., TX
2:57 PM - Smithson Valley H.S., TX

Independent A:

3:05 PM - Tarleton State University Purple Pride
3:13 PM - Sam Houston State

Scholastic Open:

3:40 PM - Dawson H.S., TX
3:49 PM - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
3:58 PM - College Park H.S., TX
4:07 PM - Earl Warren H.S., TX

Independent Open:

4:16 PM - Undaunted
4:25 PM - Redemption Guard

Scholastic World:

4:37 PM - The Woodlands H.S., TX

Independent World:

4:47 PM - Third Coast Independent
4:57 PM - Lake Charles Independent

Bump

i was there w/ my mommy for prelims. hahahaha.

twhs world first prelims performance had a soundtrack issue, somebody's phone went off, no idea what happened. then it came back out of place. it was a disaster, but they let them restart. good for the girls for keeping their cool. must've been reaaallly scary.

show still not done. needs a ton of cleaning.

1 minute ago, packwick said:

twhs world first prelims performance had a soundtrack issue, somebody's phone went off, no idea what happened. then it came back out of place. it was a disaster, but they let them restart. good for the girls for keeping their cool. must've been reaaallly scary.

Gonna be impressive when the dirt is removed.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

Yikes! That's not how you want to start your first WGI show! ☹️

I finally went through the available scores. Something like first through seventh in A class at Houston are within like 2 points of each other. That's gonna be fun to figure out! I'm surprised none of the As hit 80. Actually, I'm surprised nobody at all has hit 80 across both WGI contests today. Already we're seeing some major discrepancies between the local and national contests. Not entirely uncommon, I guess.

13 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Yikes! That's not how you want to start your first WGI show! ☹️

im still not even sure what happened. just a random ring tone and then the entire performance was out of time and the girls were desperately counting. at first i was like this is terrible music design. hahahaha. was Woodlands playing their music via phone or was it a WGI staff thing or random Bluetooth interference? i heard the sound ppl testing twhs' music like an hour before they performed. seems reaaaaallly dumb to use a phone for performance music.

17 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Awww, Seven Lakes was super cute, too. Did you hear the random audience girl at the end say, "I'm gonna cry!" 😂 Two Weeks Notice. Clearly it's being used as a metaphor for a relationship. Love the department store set design and the pastels. Who doesn't like pastels?

Love the show so much, and yes I heard it, but hey, can’t blame her, definitely had some emotion in the show. The Woodlands group that just went was once again phenomenal, much better run than earlier! 

11 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Love the show so much, and yes I heard it, but hey, can’t blame her, definitely had some emotion in the show. The Woodlands group that just went was once again phenomenal, much better run than earlier! 

I thought they were outstanding as well. It is a colder and more clinical show, though. It's interesting seeing it beside that Katy show, with the rousing 60s, 70s rock and psychedelia. They couldn't be two more different shows. Both very well performed.