UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

I was told by a few people that one of the Percussion judges is notoriously inconsistent with other judges which is why the Percussion scores so much different from the ones in preliminaries. 

My son who is a freshman told me there were lots of tears last night from the seniors and all the underclassman that will miss them. He got a couple notes from the seniors that made him tear up. I don't know if this normal, but it's probably one of the things that I really appreciate about our experience with the LISD band program. I know the term servant leader is overused these days but I think it's definitely the best description of the upperclassmen I've interacted with. 

9 hours ago, tennertrumbow said:

also funny trend I just noticed: whenever we compete with burleson centennial, we always place right next to them.

2019 state prelims, Lone star 6th BC 5th (before LS dropped to 12th in finals)

2021 state prelims, Lone star 16th BC 17th

2023 BOA bedford prelims, Lone star 14th BC 15th

2023 state prelims and finals, Lone star 7th BC 6th

That is pretty funny, I hope the same for us next year

While driving back from San Antonio last night I started thinking about numbers. How many bands with 200+ kids vs those with less than 200. I found the results interesting. 

Number of 5A schools in Texas - 251.

The smallest band to compete - Liberty Hill HS with 120. 

The largest bands to compete - Aledo HS and Lebanon Trail HS with 238 each. 

The 5A State Champion Cedar Park HS with 237. 

Out of 35 schools to compete in prelims, 12 had 200+ while 23 had less than 200. 

The 12 schools to compete in finals, 8 had 200+ while 4 had less than 200. 

The top 5 schools had 200+. Burleson Centennial HS finished 6th as the highest ranked school with less than 200. Richland HS was the second one at 9th.

this means 8 of the top 10 had 200+ students in the band.

What does this all mean?  Nothing most likely but it definitely appears that having a larger band helps. No matter what size, it’s all about who performs their show the best. This year, it was Cedar Parks HS. 

Congratulations to Cedar Park and everyone else who got to perform at the SMBC!

1 hour ago, BandDad4Life said:

While driving back from San Antonio last night I started thinking about numbers. How many bands with 200+ kids vs those with less than 200. I found the results interesting. 

Out of 35 schools to compete in prelims, 12 had 200+ while 23 had less than 200. 

The top 5 schools had 200+. Burleson Centennial HS finished 6th as the highest ranked school with less than 200. Richland HS was the second one at 9th.

What does this all mean?  Nothing most likely but it definitely appears that having a larger band helps. No matter what size, it’s all about who performs their show the best. This year, it was Cedar Parks HS. 

Curious how the numbers look for 6A too! 

5 hours ago, BandDad4Life said:

I pondered these exact sentiments during the Finals no joke!!! Bigger band, bigger and stronger sound, makes for a better show imo! No matter how good a smaller band it won't ever be enough to ever outperform a large band that is solid. Thanks for doing the homework on this, I was interested to see the #'s and was surprised they were here lol. It's a crazy stat at the end of the day.

Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, RRBND27 said:

I pondered these exact sentiments during the Finals no joke!!! Bigger band, bigger and stronger sound, makes for a better show imo! No matter how good a smaller band it won't ever be enough to ever outperform a large band that is solid. Thanks for doing the homework on this, I was interested to see the #'s and was surprised they were here lol. It's a crazy stat at the end of the day.

Cheers. 

Another factor is money. Most of these schools have huge budgets and are able to buy everything. The smaller schools have a way smaller budget and piecing things together to have a show. Half a million dollar budgets and higher just blows my mind. 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Incredible performance from Lebanon Trail to open up finals! Love the "River Flows Through You" pre-show!!! Plenty of showcasing of the different ensembles throughout the band as well as full ensemble moments! Guard was a treat to watch, and I love the different snowflakes we get to see throughout the show. Really enjoyed that performance, great final's performance Lebanon Trail!!! 

A bit late but fun fact - our synth soloist is a freshman, and he started percussion in 8th grade

4 minutes ago, some guy said:

A bit late but fun fact - our synth soloist is a freshman, and he started percussion in 8th grade

He’s so freaking good. I’m a pianist myself and played the piece in 6th grade and lm tell you, it ain’t easy. But it’s so beautiful and delicate and he played it perfectly!! I remember freaking out with my mom when we got to see y’all at Wylie bc she’s the one who wanted me to learn the song in the first place, he played it so well every time! 

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

The numbers thing is also very much a chicken and egg sort of deal. It's tempting to just look at the numbers and conclude that having a bigger band helps you place better, but I think it goes deeper than that. A school/district that puts a strong emphasis on music, and backs that up with resources and quality instructors, will naturally draw more kids from the school's enrollment.

So, in effect, some of those bands are bigger BECAUSE they are good.

I agree.  With so many activities and sports for kids to choose between, many will choose to join a program with a better chance of success.  If a high school band is known for consistently making state, students will want to join and be a part of that success.  Likewise, it is hard to have fun when you belong to a group that never performs well and doesn't have the resources put into the program to create compelling show designs and musical education.  When students don't have fun, they leave the program.

2 hours ago, Samuel Culper said:

The numbers thing is also very much a chicken and egg sort of deal. It's tempting to just look at the numbers and conclude that having a bigger band helps you place better, but I think it goes deeper than that. A school/district that puts a strong emphasis on music, and backs that up with resources and quality instructors, will naturally draw more kids from the school's enrollment.

So, in effect, some of those bands are bigger BECAUSE they are good.

Agree and not saying a school doesn’t make it just because they have a larger band. The percentages is greater but all of these bands got there because they’re good. There are many more schools who could have been at state. I’m still shocked Aledo wasn’t in finals. 

The school districts supporting fine arts is definitely key. But as I said before, it doesn’t matter how big or small a school is, it’s all about execution and precision. 

16 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

He’s so freaking good. I’m a pianist myself and played the piece in 6th grade and lm tell you, it ain’t easy. But it’s so beautiful and delicate and he played it perfectly!! I remember freaking out with my mom when we got to see y’all at Wylie bc she’s the one who wanted me to learn the song in the first place, he played it so well every time! 

It’s awesome to see kids like that come into a program. 

On 11/8/2023 at 1:35 PM, BandDad4Life said:

I 100% agree. Rock Hill in 6A only had 150 kids this year with Walnut Grove opening a year early. No doubt it had an effect especially at Areas.

On 11/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, BandDad4Life said:

Another factor is money. Most of these schools have huge budgets and are able to buy everything. The smaller schools have a way smaller budget and piecing things together to have a show. Half a million dollar budgets and higher just blows 

Exactly!!!!! I've been saying this all along! Big facts! If you are out here in the DFW metroplex then know about the the Friscos, Prospers, Lewisville, etc.

They've built so many new schools literally a few miles from each other and converted what could've been 2 or 3 6A schools to making them all 5A smh ( Frisco ISD ) 

Lebanon Trail, Wakeland, Lonestar? 😲 3 out of the 251 schools from the same district in the 5A State Championship finals? So unreal.

Money talks .. MONEY absolutely talks for sure!! 🎯