BOA Houston 2019

hmmmm.....I get that it's a transition year for them with almost complete turnover in the band staff but Richland not showing up on many lists is a little confusing.

Could just be that not many people are as knowledgeable of them as the Houston area bands.

They are a great band, but they will have trouble breaking through the massive bubble that this contest has year after year these days. I think they will have a strong showing but cracking finals will be tough. I want to put them in on my predictions, but I cant seem to find a band they could realistically take out. We will se!

hmmmm.....I get that it's a transition year for them with almost complete turnover in the band staff but Richland not showing up on many lists is a little confusing.

*****Could just be that not many people are as knowledgeable of them as the Houston area bands.*****

You’re absolutely right. That’s my only excuse for not putting them among the upper tiers, but I’m not denying they could make finals. Also I’ve got a soft spot for them since they dedicated an entire show to Danzon No. 2 (2017), which is awesome.

i agree but i also think SFA and Pearland should be higher up. I know this is the third year for SFA after the director change so the show difficulty has risen by a lot and Pearland just came off a 1st place season in Area eventhough UIL and BOA are drastically different

seven lakes third, cy fair bottom half, but hey I could be wrong it’s just my opinion

Seven Lakes is rapidly rising, and went from 14th to 7th in just one season. Cy-Fair has had a pretty substantial director change, so we may be seeing a bit of a transition year from them. 

i agree but i also think SFA and Pearland should be higher up. I know this is the third year for SFA after the director change so the show difficulty has risen by a lot and Pearland just came off a 1st place season in Area eventhough UIL and BOA are drastically different

I appreciate the SFA shoutout, I graduated 4 years ago and agree that what they are performing now is drastically more difficult than what we did in my time. They are also about to double in size from that era as well. 

SFA had their first public appearance today and man does that show have some potential and those kids got some work cut out for them but once it’s all set in stone it’s gonna sound amazing and that opener already does

How are their numbers looking?

Reagan is the clear winner, unless something drastically changing. 

2/3 - Woodlands/Westlake. Westlake scored higher than woodlands in BOA SA prelims in 2018. Could potentially upset them at this contest. I saw a picture of Westlake rehearsing on social media and they are using the props from pride of Cincinnati 2019. Don't know much about Woodlands show, but seems a little traditional?

As for the others....I am uncertain. Oak Ridge, Cy Fair are all going through director changes. They would be my top picks for 4/5 but I am not sure. I predict SFA will have a stellar season. I also think college park will do some damage at this show. 

2/3 - Woodlands/Westlake. Westlake scored higher than woodlands in BOA SA prelims in 2018. Could potentially upset them at this contest. I saw a picture of Westlake rehearsing on social media and they are using the props from pride of Cincinnati 2019. Don't know much about Woodlands show, but seems a little traditional?

As for the others....I am uncertain. Oak Ridge, Cy Fair are all going through director changes. They would be my top picks for 4/5 but I am not sure. I predict SFA will have a stellar season. I also think college park will do some damage at this show. 

Be careful using those SA results - they were on different judging panels in prelims and when they were on the same panel TWHS was ahead by 2.6 points in finals. It is also a new year, so who knows? Of course, it is fun to speculate.

Curious what you mean by "seems a little traditional". We certainly don't know how they will adapt the theme of the source music into their show - yeah, NYC shows have been done before, but NYC is the backdrop of "On the Town", not the focus. The focus is on the sailors trying to experience as much of what is offered in the city in 24 hours, not so much the city itself. This is brought down on a very personal level in the stage show - the sailors are going off to war the next day, they hook up with dates for the night, and run from club to club, and end up at Coney Island before heading back to their ship. So I can really see how this does not have to be about NYC, and doesn't have to be traditional in that sense. Potentially adopting music from another source (per other posts here, and note that On the Town is a stage adaptation of the ballet Fancy Free, so there is a relationship between the sources) allegedly with more "velocity" (using Rubisco's term) and pulling in the personal level themes could make for an interesting show. Lets see how they pull it off. Note that I have very limited inside information, as my band kid graduated this past school year, and what info I do have doesn't touch on the show thematically, so all the previous is pure speculation and extrapolating possibilities.

I watched a stage version of On the Town after I found out about the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyTIHvIuWc.

Older recording, but still quite good in my opinion.

It's Texas.  And it's only August 13th.  Nobody is the clear winner at this point.  Nobody.  

I would expect BIG stuff from The Woodlands as it is a GN year from them.  And I would not discount Westlake either.  I made the mistake of doing that last year during UIL!!