BOA Conroe 2018

I have heard the same from FB Parents - it is not the same without the band......

I have seen the local middle schools step up to support the marching programs of our high schools during these trips out of town when they miss games

Yes someone usually covers for us as well. I believe that it was actually some parents who played instruments filling in for Leander that time. Which could help explain why the football parents begged us not to do that to them again. :D

This is not confirmed, but if it plays out like it did in 2015, TWHS will not be performing in finals at this contest (assuming we qualify). There is an away football game that evening at Klein Cain and for some reason that takes priority. Utter hogwash in my view.  :angry:

Not again!  They aren't even going to GN's this year and have to have another band cover for them.  I heard there will be a new principal at the school.  Maybe he/she will be more band friendly.....

This year it might be that they have a football game during BOA San Antonio (speculation - haven’t checked schedule)

We don't - the football game is Friday night at home before San Antonio this year. The only Saturday football games are October 6th and 13th.

There will be a new principal at TWHS and a new Conroe ISD superintendent this year. Who knows how that may play out... Also, one of our percussion instructors is taking a role at the new high school in Conroe ISD (Grand Oaks). His replacement should be announced soon.

• 1 month later...

With the latest update to our Charms calendar, every football game except the one on this day is listed. So if I was to read into that, along with the "All day event" statement for the Conroe BOA entry, I would conclude TWHS will participate in finals if they make it.

As a TWHS alumni parent, I sure hope so.  Those kids work so hard and to have to miss for a football game stinks.  When my son was there, they had to miss finals and it was so disappointing to all of them.  Honestly if they asked the football team, they would probably vote to let the band kids "do their thing!"   If it comes down to it, let us know who to send emails to??!!!

• 4 weeks later...

One of their members said their comp schedule was so busy that the directors decided they needed one weekend off. Why they didn't pick a smaller regional to drop, we probably won't find out.

CTJ and Cedar park had the heaviest BOA schedule with 3 regional and the SA super regional in addition to UIL in a state year - so there is the workload and Conroe is an overnight trip so it could well be an expense issue as well- an attempt to keep the costs down

CTJ and Cedar park had the heaviest BOA schedule with 3 regional and the SA super regional in addition to UIL in a state year - so there is the workload and Conroe is an overnight trip so it could well be an expense issue as well- an attempt to keep the costs down

Makes sense then. And Cedar Park doesn’t have state this year, nor are they traveling as far as CTJ is this year, so that schedule is totally doable for them.

@TWHSParent - have you figured out yet if they will be allowed to compete in Conroe BOA finals , assuming they qualify?  I want to come watch that day, but usuallyt he daytime is sooooo hot so would like to come for finals!

Short answer - Yes, we will participate if we qualify (unless something changes over the next 5 weeks).

That weekend is the only weekend without a football game on the schedule (other than the FB Team's off week later in October).

Short answer - Yes, we will participate if we qualify (unless something changes over the next 5 weeks).

That weekend is the only weekend without a football game on the schedule (other than the FB Team's off week later in October).

Thought there was a TWHS football game on the schedule for that evening?  Sure hope they can perform in finals......

Thought there was a TWHS football game on the schedule for that evening?  Sure hope they can perform in finals......

Yes, but it isn't on the band calendar. We'll perform in finals if we make it.

I checked 2015, and it had the football game on the band calendar the evening of the Conroe contest. As I recall, McCullough covers for us about once a year, and this year that would be the needed help. No other major conflicts with UIL or San Antonio.