2017 BOA INDY SUPER REGIONAL

One has to also look at how much relative growth a show can have too. How much can music and visual be cleaned? Is the demand going to be able to continue to push the score up through SA and GN or is the show nearly maxed out? Do groups have a history of peaking at the right time? One can also look at relative growth of a show though too.

Avon for starters began the first BOA week with a 76 (using loose numbers for simplicity). 3 weeks later at Dayton they jumped by nearly 10 points. 2 weeks later, both them at Carmel were able to jump nearly another 5 points. So just imagine how much they will still be able to do in just 2 weeks before SA and 3 for GN.

And since I know you'll want to see another comparison, CTJ was able to jump 5 points as well given 3 weeks of work. So yes, really anything is going to be possible come SA and we should be in for a very exciting finals. I would not be surprised if we see some ties as well. 

The spreads support as well. At Indy I'd say it says more about Castle improving than Avon or Carmel being worse, but a less than two point spread of Blue Springs and BA is telling imo

I would actually argue that in recent years, especially at San Antonio Texas scores have been on the lower side as far as inflation goes. Something makes me think that after marcus put up a 96.1 in San Antonio in 2012 that judges were told that a soft cap had to be set on San Antonio so that score progression up to grand nats would look more reasonable. Just a theory, but it is odd that no one has gone into the 94s or above since finals in12 and prior to that it happened all the time with bell and the woodlands and Marcus. I personally don't think the woodlands in 13, ctj in 14 and flower mound in 15 and 16 should have scored as low as they did. 

For better or for worse, whether you liked it or not, Center Grove deserves to be at the center of discussion I think. They are absolutely pushing boundaries this year. Is this the future of the activity? Are wind players going to need to double as guard members? Is everyone going to need rudimentary percussion knowledge? Center Grove certainly just proved to me that it's realistic.

For better or for worse, whether you liked it or not, Center Grove deserves to be at the center of discussion I think. They are absolutely pushing boundaries this year. Is this the future of the activity? Are wind players going to need to double as guard members? Is everyone going to need rudimentary percussion knowledge? Center Grove certainly just proved to me that it's realistic.

I say no. If this is the future of marching band, then what's the point of wgi winds? At that point the only real difference is what time of the year it happens.

Having seen Center Grove live a couple of times, it is a well done show.  Yes its quite different from years past, and it does feel like a winter show to me as it has to others in the stands around me.  You can find kids in multiple bands that already pull "double duty" during their show, so I wonder if that helps scores? Players switching to different instruments, drum majors picking up instruments, players laying horns down and doing body movements.....you get the idea.  Center Grove has one heck of a drum line so it makes sense to feature it, maybe testing the waters to be different.  Carmel has one of the best color guards, so they are heavily featured in their show.   Lawrence Township is a fun show and they appear to pull out all stops and really sell it.  Castle's show is more emotional this year and with that flute soloist walking across the field as you hear echos responding, can only invoke images from last year's show.   Franklin Central didn't make finals, but their show Maestro is blocked in similar style to Center Grove and is quite captivating.  And to round out my babbling... I really liked the hand bells in Homestead's show and they make the Fire/Ice theme work.  I guess things are a bit different up North.  :)  

Having seen Center Grove live a couple of times, it is a well done show. Yes its quite different from years past, and it does feel like a winter show to me as it has to others in the stands around me. You can find kids in multiple bands that already pull "double duty" during their show, so I wonder if that helps scores? Players switching to different instruments, drum majors picking up instruments, players laying horns down and doing body movements.....you get the idea. Center Grove has one heck of a drum line so it makes sense to feature it, maybe testing the waters to be different. Carmel has one of the best color guards, so they are heavily featured in their show. Lawrence Township is a fun show and they appear to pull out all stops and really sell it. Castle's show is more emotional this year and with that flute soloist walking across the field as you hear echos responding, can only invoke images from last year's show. Franklin Central didn't make finals, but their show Maestro is blocked in similar style to Center Grove and is quite captivating. And to round out my babbling... I really liked the hand bells in Homestead's show and they make the Fire/Ice theme work. I guess things are a bit different up North. :)

Don't forget the ice skater in Homestead's show. That one surprised me for sure. But I liked it!

Things are definitely a little different in the more northern bands. Not bad-different by any means. I just find the difference interesting, and I'm noticing it more and more as I watch all of these competitions around the country. I wonder...is California's marching band scene yet another style? How many styles are there, truly? We all tend to get stuck on "our" style and look down our noses at the others when what we really ought to be doing is appreciating how truly amazing the top bands in the country are REGARDLESS of their style.

Avon is in the truly amazing category and Texas is honored to have such BOA royalty coming down to join us in our humble little competition. ;)

Let the games begin!!

I would hardly call the SA contest humble! Always a strong case for it being equally as good as Grand Nationals. Maybe they should have another travelling trophy for this one. Perhaps Kevin's nest. Or Kevin's eggs. Wait, Kevin's a girl? (UP reference ftw!)

I'd say that California does also have a distinct style too but since we don't get to see them as often either, it can be tricky to nail it down as well. I'd say it is a bit more guard or percussion 'centric though simply looking at how well they do in WGI in those areas. Each one has their quirks and I've found something to enjoy in all of them.