2017 BOA INDY SUPER REGIONAL

Am I crazy for thinking castle was better than Carmel?

Me too. I was underwhelmed by Carmel. And confused by Avon. I'm starting to think that bands north of Oklahoma are just very different from their Southern counterparts. We are so used to the style of marching band that we see here in Texas and in many ways it's just very different. I would not be a good judge if I had to pick a national winner!!

My quick thoughts....

Carmel - outstanding guard, strong balanced sound, outstanding visuals. My main criticism is that I think they present Serenity a little too well. It lost my attention.

Avon - really like what they are trying to do. I think the props get in the way visually rather than adding. When they get the show where they want, it will be a powerhouse.

Lawrence Township - I don't like too much prerecorded vocals, and for my taste they had too much. I liked the show otherwise.  Mea Culpa - I missed the vocalist last night on the high cam. So my criticism isn't valid. Leaving it in place so my oopsie can be seen (added 10/21 just after their finals performance).

Castle - the most Texas like show that I saw, so I can see why people here would like them. I found it quite good too, so I am with you, but not going to beat Carmel or Avon.

To me, Carmel just doesn't do anything very moving. No question they are a great band, but the band rarely plays as a whole. An awful lot of pit and solos. Avon's show is so rediculous in difficulty that I honestly don't know if it can even be as clean as it needs to be by Nationals. I really hope it will be, but tomorrow night will be a big indicator. Also tomorrow they need to fix the prop placements at the end.

Castle is a beautiful show and a tribute to their singer Sophie from last year. I think they have a good shot at state this year although I've yet to see Homestead.

Avon's director gives a yearly speech to the kids while having them stand in front of a brick wall. So paraphrasing.... They are to pick a brick and stare at it. What's holding it up? The bricks around it. (Your band mates) What about the bricks that are holding up the others? Some were placed before your brick and you are building upon what was done before. (Band members of years past) It takes all the bricks working together to build the wall which is a testament of the program.

Avon has sooooooooooooooooo much to look at! The guard is badass and the drill is great! I cannot wait to have them here in Texas in a few weeks!

Castle's ballad made me feel things. So touching. Their closer, when complete, might make me cry.

Maybe that was my trouble with Avon confusing me. There was just SO much to see. And hear!! Maybe if I see it at least 3 more times, I'll be more fully appreciative of the Avon Affect. ;) (I know it is spelled effect, but work with me people!).

Castle made me so melancholy and my husband wiped tears away the entire length of their show tonight. He's a big ol softee. But seriously, after seeing Castle and Sophie in person last year at GN, and how we all mourned her tragic passing as we made the journey back home on Sunday, how could we not be moved? RIP dear Sophie. You were something special.

I have to say I LOVE Carmel’s program. I’m happy with any of the presumptive big five winning GN, but I think Carmel is my favorite right now. Their visual design is unmatched by anyone, I personally believe, and that guard is out of control. Their music design is extremely well done too. It’s not heavy on playing, but they aren’t playing any less than Leander or Reagan are. Their source music doesn’t lend well to full ensemble either, so it’s not really as if they’re watering it down or purposefully underscoring it. My only concern is that they don’t sound like a champion. I think they can get there though. I cannot wait to see it in Lucas Oil next month.

You all can take my Texas residency away from me now.

Avon's director gives a yearly speech to the kids while having them stand in front of a brick wall. So paraphrasing.... They are to pick a brick and stare at it. What's holding it up? The bricks around it. (Your band mates) What about the bricks that are holding up the others? Some were placed before your brick and you are building upon what was done before. (Band members of years past) It takes all the bricks working together to build the wall which is a testament of the program.

Ok that's just brilliant. Too bad they didn't do a recording of him saying those things to play during the show. I know it's special to the kids. I look forward to that thing getting fully fleshed out in the next few weeks!

I don't have a Flo subscription, so I didn't see any of these performances, but I watched a video last week of castle playing their show because I saw that it was called Fly to Paradise and I love that song. I had forgotten until now that they were the one that lost a member after GNats last year, which makes that piece even more meaningful. Cant wait to see their show!

I have to say I LOVE Carmel’s program. I’m happy with any of the presumptive big five winning GN, but I think Carmel is my favorite right now. Their visual design is unmatched by anyone, I personally believe, and that guard is out of control. Their music design is extremely well done too. It’s not heavy on playing, but they aren’t playing any less than Leander or Reagan are. Their source music doesn’t lend well to full ensemble either, so it’s not really as if they’re watering it down or purposefully underscoring it. My only concern is that they don’t sound like a champion. I think they can get there though. I cannot wait to see it in Lucas Oil next month.

You all can take my Texas residency away from me now.

I have to agree with you about Carmel. I was very impressed, all the around, on how well they are performing at this point.

Castle - the most Texas like show that I saw, so I can see why people here would like them.

An interesting discovery!

Part of thier show seemed sooooo familiar and then I realized that they used almost the exact arrangement in “Signs” that Keller had last year. Even down to the soloists and electronic and percussion sounds.

Everyone ready for Day 2?! I know I am. Quick final thoughts for some of yesterdays groups.

Avon - Tremendous show that just needs a lot of cleaning at this point. Musically dense but they they had a solo mic left on making individuals stand out in the closer and an absolute prop failure it seem (really not being able to move them efficiently, etc). All things that can and will be fixed I'm sure.

Carmel - This is pure Carmel. You're either going to love or meh their shows pretty much. This is one of the few ones that I can really get into though.

Lawrence Township - Well this is certainly different than what we are used to seeing from this group. I'm on the fence though if I like it. They are performing the heck out of it though!

Castle - This show is just raw emotion with such beautiful music. I think the visual is a little too shallow though to continue carrying them forward but we'll see. Love listening to them though.

If you didn't get a chance to see Rosemount, definitely try to see them tonight. I would be extremely shocked not to see them in finals. Great energy and really fun show.

I was just about to say the same thing. They were spectacular! Just LOVED the Peter and the Wolf theme. So well done. Fantastic show.

Guess I've got to be the one to finally be the dissenting voice on this one. I didn't really care much for the show though I do like it better than last years so far. Compared to many other groups here today, they just seemed far dirtier making me question if they will even be top 7 here today. That said, MC always does an amazing job of cleaning and with 3 weeks left, cleaning they will do! We all can have our opinions though.

They are always dirty at this point and are masters of cleaning for GN. In fact, I think they were less dirty than I expected for this contest - still 3 weeks to GN.

I'll be a little more specific - music was quite dirty, and lots to improve, but it was still good.

Visually they were better than I expected, so I think they've spent more time there than on the music.

Guess I've got to be the one to finally be the dissenting voice on this one. I didn't really care much for the show though I do like it better than last years so far. Compared to many other groups here today, they just seemed far dirtier making me question if they will even be top 7 here today. That said, MC always does an amazing job of cleaning and with 3 weeks left, cleaning they will do! We all can have our opinions though.

No, you're not alone. The opener was well performed, but the middle and end were as dirty as I have ever heard them play. They still have a bit of time, but will it be enough?