2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

Here are my predictions for the Finalists at 3A state, based off the area contests, invitationals, and how I've seen some of these bands perform. Honestly I don't think these predictions are very accurate, I've never been good at making them, and many of these bands are doing so well this year I think the top 7 or 8 could all go absolutely any way depending on how they perform.

1st- Mineloa

2nd and 3rd: Between Queen City and Whitesboro (Both of these are bold statements I know, but Queen City has shown past potential to beat Whitesboro at contests such as Princeton, but I think just as easily Whitesboro could come back and beat both them and Mineloa. Queen City has been a bit mixed in their results throughout the year though, so they could just as easily be much lower. This statement is pretty much a bold guess based purely off the Princeton contest)

4th- Clifton

5th- Farmersville

6th- Holiday (Although Holiday beat Whitesboro at both area prelims and finals, and Farmersville made a huge leap to finish 1st in that same area finals, I think state will be a different story, as it is with many bands from area to state) 

7th-Yoe

8th- New Diana

9th and 10th I honestly have no clue, I haven't seen enough performances from other bands to tell. 

I think it's likely that QC will just finish in the middle of finals too, and/or Whiteboro will beat Mineloa, they're yet to compete so we'll see.

I am unsure about Cedar Park this year. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but they seem to have lost some of their pizzazz. They will certainly continue cleaning and do very well, but I'm on the fence with them this year.

I can't agree more. After watching their performance from the first week of football games I was disgusted with the amount of stickouts, sloppy visuals, bent legs, etc from a program the caliber of theirs. With it now almost being November some of this has improved but "The Cedar Park Swag" just isn't there. The sparkle and shimmer to everything that they have had in the years past which gives such a WOW factor doesn't exist this year. The awe and wonder I experienced when I saw CP in 14, 15, 16 and still experience when I watch those shows over just is not there. When I stood beside them while warming up for halftime I noticed they had a ton of younger members and few upperclassmen. The techs were on to them all of the time and Mr. Vandoren did not seem satisfied. In addition, their band was smaller than I remember it being. I feel fairly certain they would not even make GN finals this year with the product they have now. I don't want to say CP is on a downhill slide, but it is definitely an off year.

I can't agree more. After watching their performance from the first week of football games I was disgusted with the amount of stickouts, sloppy visuals, bent legs, etc from a program the caliber of theirs. With it now almost being November some of this has improved but "The Cedar Park Swag" just isn't there. The sparkle and shimmer to everything that they have had in the years past which gives such a WOW factor doesn't exist this year. The awe and wonder I experienced when I saw CP in 14, 15, 16 and still experience when I watch those shows over just is not there. When I stood beside them while warming up for halftime I noticed they had a ton of younger members and few upperclassmen. The techs were on to them all of the time and Mr. Vandoren did not seem satisfied. In addition, their band was smaller than I remember it being. I feel fairly certain they would not even make GN finals this year with the product they have now. I don't want to say CP is on a downhill slide, but it is definitely an off year.

This makes me sad to hear, really. With Cedar Park being what we refer to at Leander as our "sister school," I will always have a soft spot for them and want them to continue doing well. Every program goes thru dry spells tho, and Leander had quite an extended one prior to 2014, but hopefully CP will rebound quickly.

This makes me sad to hear, really. With Cedar Park being what we refer to at Leander as our "sister school," I will always have a soft spot for them and want them to continue doing well. Every program goes thru dry spells tho, and Leander had quite an extended one prior to 2014, but hopefully CP will rebound quickly.

I totally agree. No one likes change and a shake in the system. If any of the top tier finalists were to upset CP ( I predict it will happen) it would be crazy. Though I do hope the staff and students over there can get back on track because I love watching their amazing shows.

I know I am coming across all wishy washy rooting for so many different 5A bands, but I just want to see a REAL competition. While I do want to see CP continuing to perform at a high level, I think it also doesn't hurt a program to lose occasionally. If you always win, then your program loses momentum and that special spark that keeps you interesting fades. Cedar Park needs to rediscover what made them so special. And a little competition is just what they need! ;) And I think it may also just be a new era for 5A bands. I'm so pumped for Dripping Springs, and for Georgetown especially. And who knows, the new 5A state champ may come from an entirely different area altogether!

Here are my predictions for the Finalists at 3A state, based off the area contests, invitationals, and how I've seen some of these bands perform. Honestly I don't think these predictions are very accurate, I've never been good at making them, and many of these bands are doing so well this year I think the top 7 or 8 could all go absolutely any way depending on how they perform.

1st- Mineloa

2nd and 3rd: Between Queen City and Whitesboro (Both of these are bold statements I know, but Queen City has shown past potential to beat Whitesboro at contests such as Princeton, but I think just as easily Whitesboro could come back and beat both them and Mineloa. Queen City has been a bit mixed in their results throughout the year though, so they could just as easily be much lower. This statement is pretty much a bold guess based purely off the Princeton contest)

4th- Clifton

5th- Farmersville

6th- Holiday (Although Holiday beat Whitesboro at both area prelims and finals, and Farmersville made a huge leap to finish 1st in that same area finals, I think state will be a different story, as it is with many bands from area to state)

7th-Yoe

8th- New Diana

9th and 10th I honestly have no clue, I haven't seen enough performances from other bands to tell.

I think it's likely that QC will just finish in the middle of finals too, and/or Whiteboro will beat Mineloa, they're yet to compete so we'll see.

I'd say have Farmersville and Yoe as definite sleepers. They are both killing it in sound.

1st- Mineloa

4th- Clifton

5th- Farmersville

7th-Yoe

8th- New Diana

Whitesboro's show is very ambitious in execution. They're finding it harder to compete this year, so there's no telling where they might end up.

Queen City has done well, sounds great, but has given inconsistent results. They started their area prelims in eighth, then finished finals in second. An impressive jump, definitely, but maybe not the start they hoped for.

Farmsersville is killing it, no doubt. Impressive show design and music. Big sound, too. They topped Whitesboro at area.

I think this is gonna be one of the toughest 5a marching state contest we have yet to see. I think most of these bands have a great chance at the top 10.

Here are my predictions for 5a State Championships (Final 10) Maybe a few Surprises.

1- Cedar Park, They are Musically Powerful. Great Show Overall. Too many great things to note here.

2- Richland, Very close to Cedar Park in regards to how powerful they are with there Music, They are performing almost a Similar show that Lawrence Central performed at BOA Grand Nationals a few years back. Great Show I think its a definite possibility that they can top Cedar Park for the top prize

3- Waxahachie, Another one of these bands you can go either way with. They sound pretty strong I'm more than confident they will be top 3, Great Solo and Ensemble sounds.

4- Dripping Springs, The have a really Nice Show and ALOT of great Brass sounds. They do have alot of beautiful articulation from the entire brass section and great woodwind sounds. They do have alot of awesome visuals packaged in with their show. 

5- Wakeland, Outstanding Colorguard. Exciting movements and alot of powerful sounds.

6- Prosper, I believe they will fight for a top spot, but I dont see them any better than where I listed them. I think they sound good but I just dont feel the impact like the others.

7- Aledo, They have a very SOLID impacting Intro, Get ready to feel the power. Many great moments but the fall short by keeping it SOLID throughout.

8- Forney, 

9- Southwest, They have a interesting pre-show. Alot of good moments. They are a really skilled band program great sounds from the solos to aux.

10- Bel Air, I actually just viewed their show Online but I think they will be one of my dark horse to make it in Finals. They sound really good. Another band that can come right underneath and surprise people.

Again I'm no judge or expert, its just what I predict. 

Looks like you might be mistaken. ;)

Go Drip! Go G-town!

At state competition, I mean. There have been several times where Cedar Park was beaten cleanly by various bands in their area, but then takes everyone to task quite handily come San Antonio. Moreover, many area results everywhere are historically weird compared to state results.

I know I am coming across all wishy washy rooting for so many different 5A bands, but I just want to see a REAL competition. While I do want to see CP continuing to perform at a high level, I think it also doesn't hurt a program to lose occasionally. If you always win, then your program loses momentum and that special spark that keeps you interesting fades. Cedar Park needs to rediscover what made them so special. And a little competition is just what they need! ;) And I think it may also just be a new era for 5A bands. I'm so pumped for Dripping Springs, and for Georgetown especially. And who knows, the new 5A state champ may come from an entirely different area altogether!

I thought Vista was your sister school?  Much more mutual support between those to schools and band fanbases. 

Whitesboro's show is very ambitious in execution. They're finding it harder to compete this year, so there's no telling where they might end up.

Queen City has done well, sounds great, but has given inconsistent results. They started their area prelims in eighth, then finished finals in second. An impressive jump, definitely, but maybe not the start they hoped for.

Farmsersville is killing it, no doubt. Impressive show design and music. Big sound, too. They topped Whitesboro at area.

Queen City's inconsistent results is why I feel I'm taking a gamble by predicting that they'll end up so high, I believe that they can do it but it's going to require putting on another performance akin to area finals or even better, and assuming Whitesboro, Farmersville, and many others haven't caught up since they last encountered each other at Princeton earlier this year.  Although Princeton was a very long time ago before area, and also I believe they used a somewhat different style of judging, so only time will tell. 

At state competition, I mean. There have been several times where Cedar Park was beaten cleanly by various bands in their area, but then takes everyone to task quite handily come San Antonio. Moreover, many area results everywhere are historically weird compared to state results.

Oh I know. Just giving you some grief. You don't get enough of that here. ;)