Grand Nationals 2015 - Thoughts on Our Attending Bands

Another thing to note is that both Marian Catholic and William Mason could push a couple of the TX groups (probably The Woodlands and Round Rock) out of the top half of finals. Marian Catholic was awfully close to Carmel at the Indianapolis regional, and they have a history of cleaning like crazy the weeks leading up to Nationals. 2009 was probably the last year that happened. I saw them at the Indy regional and thought, "Meh." Then I saw them in finals at Nationals, and it was like a COMPLETELY different band. I was stunned. They placed 3rd that year at Nats, and it was one of the most competitive years ever. All 4 of the top TX groups went to Nats that year (LD Bell, Marcus, The Woodlands, and James Bowie.)

Also, even though Carmel didn't come anywhere close to Avon at Indy this year, and even though I think their show is far, far weaker than anything I've seen from them in years, I feel pretty strongly that they'll end up doing better than most would predict. They have a tendency to do that for whatever reason. Also, I agree with Brandon when he says that we could probably send Flower Mound up this year, and it wouldn't really make any difference in how the Texas groups would place. I still think it would be a fight for 3rd. I do hope I'm wrong, though!

This year was weird though. Round Rock's destiny was sealed in the eyes of much of the band community once their penalty cost them the gold in Austin......but Round Rock technically was the strongest band at Austin, and also right behind FloMo, Hebron and Marcus at Arlington. Despite all that, them getting 10th at SA doesn't surprise me any more than if they had won the whole thing. The placement of the Conroe finalists were hard to transfer to San Antonio based on the fact that CTJ didn't score as well as expected at McAllen and the Woodlands only performed in prelims.

Even if Flower Mound were going instead of one of the other bands, it doesn't change how I think the Texas bands would fare against BA, Avon & Carmel.

I haven't seen anything from Avon or Carmel, so I can't comment on them. After seeing a few videos of BA, I just don't think that they would have been leaps and bounds over FloMo. Maybe they would beat them in visual GE, but I think FloMo's show is magical from a music GE stand point and I don't feel the same about BA.

A few questions:

Did anyone see Round Rock? I'm really curious to see if they'll spring like they did two years ago.

How was Hebron? Did they make an appearance with new uniforms?

I saw that video of Keller, and I just got really excited, do you guys think they'll compete for a finals spot?

My predictions for the TXBands

2nd place winning Music- Hebron

3rd place - Round rock

5th Place- TWHS

11th place- Keller

Bubble- Keller Central

A few questions:

Did anyone see Round Rock? I'm really curious to see if they'll spring like they did two years ago.

I saw that video of Keller, and I just got really excited, do you guys think they'll compete for a finals spot?

3rd place - Round rock

5th Place- TWHS

11th place- Keller Central

Bubble- Keller

I was at Hebron's tonight (I'm an alumni and my sister is still in the color guard). Hebron made an appearance with new uniforms tonight- they can be seen all over twitter now that they've been officially revealed. Definite improvement from SA in all aspects- musically, GE, and visually. I'll be in Indianapolis this weekend and cannot wait to see the turnout. Definitely know they have a great chance of taking music and now, with the addition of new visual aspects and an even more lengthened show, I would not be surprised if they win the eagle- and that's not just because I'm an alumni. 

Wishing them and everyone else attending the best! Cannot wait for everyone to see Hebron there for the first time. 

A few questions:

3rd place - Round rock

5th Place- TWHS

11th place- Keller

Bubble- Keller Central

I saw Round Rock's show. They stood in the end-zone for quite a while getting set up and weren't warmed up by the time they started. Due to that, there were intonation issues throughout the performance that they typically don't have. Little things and nothing awful, but just not as rich and pretty as it would be normally. Other than that, there were quite a few improvements over the San Antonio performances. They've added a post show that's really a nice touch. They have really been cleaning up their show and it had a clarity of sound that has been missing to date. I like their chances at Indy. I think they have a very good chance of making the top half of the finals again if they continue this way.

Good luck to Round Rock, Hebron, The Woodlands, Keller, and Keller Central! I know you'll make Texas proud!!

what time do our Texas bands perform today?

All of the Texas bands attending play on Friday

8:00 AM - The Woodlands

9:15 AM - Keller

9:30 AM - Hebron

11:00 AM - Keller Central

7:15 PM - Round Rock

For anyone that is planning on watching the live webcast, don't forget that these times are Eastern time so you'll need to adjust them one hour earlier. 

The Woodlands was really strong and much improved from San Antonio! I think they'll make a push for the top 6 at the least.

Keller was fantastic as well. I think they'll be in, especially considering what we saw yesterday. They could push as high as 10th even, I believe.

Hebron is in serious contention for the title. I would be shocked if they didn't take home Music.

Edited by principalagent

My rankings from prelims so far:

1. Hebron

2. Avon

3. The Woodlands

4. Mason

5. Carmel

6/7. Harrison/Keller

8. Blue Springs

Kind of messy beyond this point and I don't think anyone below Carmel is safe. I also think Avon and Hebron will be close. All that's really left is Round Rock, Broken Arrow, and Marian Catholic + one bubble to fill out finals.