Centennial Marching Festival

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg that whole "DS, not Sherman" wow... I don't think I've ever witnessed something like that at a competition. I know if that had happened at the area B competition, someone would have been dead by the end of the night.

I believe it's happened at westlake before. When he was announcing finals. I believe... I'm not too sure.

Yea, that kind of thing is unacceptable. But we tried our best to make everything run smoothly. It was the first time our band has ever hosted a competition. Sorry for any problems that occurred

Wasn't the first time we'd hosted a contest. We did a DCI one a year (or two) ago, and that wasn't any smoother (but very similiar when it came to warmup spots and scheduling and whatnot). I wonder if we'll do another.

EDIT: And just to clarify that... I didn't mean that to mean "omg the contest sucked." I meant that as how I said it. I thought the majority of the contest went pretty well for running a contest like this for the second time.

I believe that we deserved 8th during prelims, but I believe the finals scores were completely biased.

I didn't see(or hear) anything visually or musically appealing about the colony or dripping springs.

i thought it was funny that the percussion judge was from flower mound (we did just beat their percussion section less than a week ago)

but congrats to all

i guess the judges saw something that i didn't

I believe that we deserved 8th during prelims, but I believe the finals scores were completely biased.

I didn't see(or hear) anything visually or musically appealing about the colony or dripping springs.

i thought it was funny that the percussion judge was from flower mound (we did just beat their percussion section less than a week ago)

but congrats to all

i guess the judges saw something that i didn't

These judges aren't little kids that take the basketball away and say that they won't play with you anymore when you aren't nice to them. I think they're a little more grown up than that.

Any recaps on this event yet? I'm assuming that this contest wasn't judged with UIL judging sheets and if they weren't, the only effect this competition would have on Tuesday's 4A State Contest is the momentum certain programs could carry into the contest.

Always remember that anything can happen.

well one of the judges that was at CMF will be judging at state.

I see. It's always sketchy when jumping from one judging system to another. We'll see what happens.

I'm glad you guys had fun at the contest. Looks like we had a nice Txbands.com Member turnout.

Any recaps on this event yet?

I'll give my opinions (though I didn't get to see a lot since I was with bands most of the time).

I have to say that Plano East is improving very drastically in a short period of time. Their performance, musically, was just so powerful. Even while they were warming up, they had a warmth to their tone that I hadn't heard in previous years. I'm not sure how their marching went (though I assume it went well), but even from backfield, you could still hear just how good their music was.

I, personally, thought that Sherman deserved to get higher in finals. I mean, yeah, they might not have had their best performance ever in prelims, but they did soooo much better in finals. I thought it sounded and looked good (which is amazing after the whole warmup fiasco). I guess the judges must've seen things wrong that I didn't or maybe the other bands were just better in their eyes. I was just really surprised.

I was really impressed with Aledo though. Whoa. I don't think I saw them at area, but I know that it probably was not as good as it was at CMF. I want to see how well they do at state. If they march a show like they marched last night... watch out state.

We, at Centennial, marched a good show. That's all I'm going to say. There were mistakes, of course, but I felt that it was a good performance.

That's all I can say (very unofficially).

Another surprise for me: Plano Senior High. I know it's all about east over in Plano, but oh my... I thought Plano looked pretty good.

as someone who has been around marching for 4 yrs, and saw every band there in prelims(i go to centennial), i strongly disagreed with many judging decisions. it seemed like i was watching a different competition. but i guess thats how the cookie crumbles.

also, i would like to apologize to sherman and aledo for the warm-up mix up during finals. one person's mistake led to that and we did our best to patch things up. once again, sry about the mix up

As another person who has been around marching for 4 years and saw all the bands in prelims (also at Cetennial), i strongly agree with most of the judging decisions (And I was sitting next to wingz most of the time too).

I thought Dripping Springs was off the hook, personally. They had an interesting central theme which gave them their GE points (especially when combined with the pretty well executed forms). I liked their sound, especially after hearing and watching Aledo (more on that in a second). I liked the depth of their sound too, because it wasn't overbearing and it wasn't weak- it was that nice HS Marching band balanced forte that I like, but that's just me and I get that my opinion, most of the time, is quite off. Apparently not with the judges though :P .

I liked Sherman, but sadly, I agreed with the judges when compared to the other bands (except with Aledo). From what I read above, it wasn't their best, so I won't elaborate, but I bet it was better in finals, and I certainly think they will put the petal to the metal when Tuesday comes around.

I didn't get to see the Planos, but obviously they went nuts as well. I wish I had so that I could make a more solid opinion on prelims, but hey, they're good enough without my opinions :) .

The Colony I saw this past Friday at our football game, which was a heartwrencher by the way. The band did... decently that night, which I can TELL is not the calibur of performance they showed last night or else they wouldn't have place so high. Somehow, I'm not surprised that they got placed where they did, simply because I've seen their show before, and it's pretty clean, but not as interesting as I thought Dripping Springs was. What I am surprised about was that Allen went so far down in Finals and that TC overtook them. Granted, I didn't see the finals and their performances probably weren't the same as prelims, so I won't make the call that it was bad judging, but by prelims, it was about right.

So about Allen, they really got me yesterday. Watching them get onto the field for about 2 minutes and then watching their director wear a giant yellow sombrero and have to stand at the top of the backfield risers to conduct was some good pre-show entertainment (but not as good as our exhibition). Their show, the part that mattered, was what really meant the most to me. They marched a pretty clean show, though based on lines and "paralellograms" (sp?) alot, their sets made with an impressive quality. The strings at the end were pretty entertaining too, even though I have somewhat of a problem with "non-marching band" instruments place in marching productions, but they weren't taking attention away from the show very much, so I didn't complain about it. And best of all, I got to hear the REAL DEAL sound of Allen. They can play pretty balanced and freaking loud (which you'd expect from 500 people) and those last few chords just take your breath away with their intensity and volume. As for the rest of the show's sound, I loved it just as much since it was not an overbearingly loud or out of balance sound and fit what you'd think a 500 marcher band would sound like. Overall, Allen was probably my favorite to watch, just because I don't get to see a band like Allen anytime and they're a pretty cool program, overall.

And now that I got all the happy comments out, here come the sad ones... :( . I didn't get to see Timberview... AGAIN. But I heard they were alright, and I did get to see the straight jacket color gaurd they were talking about. But still...

And onto my big problem with the night... Aledo. I thought their show was a little too unclean for my taste. At first, I thought I had never seen them before and after seing them enter with their planets in the back, I realized I had seen them, but disliked them and didn't remember the name... or I just got distracted :wacko: . It seemed like they had alot of problems with straight lines throughout the show, and I was just about at the 50, high as the stands went. Their forms weren't placed completely where they seemed like they should have been, but it might have just been me. Then, they had a bass guitar playing with them, and my friend pointed out that it was adding alot of the bass sound to their low brass sound and gave it an almost unclean sound, just because it didn't sound like the real brass band that I'm used to. Their sound just displeased me on the whole. It's probably just a different quality of sound, but it's a quality that I disagree with. Lastly, it seemed like they didn't play a whole lot when they moved. All their "loud" notes were standing still or when they had smaller sets... and their show just bugged me. In my opinion, Sherman had em all the way. Finals might have been different, but I have no clue. That's all my opinions (in a FREAKING HUGE nutshell).

EDIT: Alright, I didn't see the last 4 bands in prelims because I had to get dressed for rehearsal. That includes the Planos, The Colony, and (the) Timberview band. My mistake ^_^ . And btw, does anyone know why they went last? What was the deal?

I enjoyed the contest last night very much.

I loved watching the bands that I had the time to watch.

I , also, was AMAZED at the awesome amazing quality that I saw from all of the bands last night.

I had been looking forward to this competition for a while now, and was very pleased, because we have never competed up here before.

I look forward to tuesday whan I will be able to see some of you guys again!

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!

I am sooo stoked!

I enjoyed the contest last night very much.

I loved watching the bands that I had the time to watch.

I , also, was AMAZED at the awesome amazing quality that I saw from all of the bands last night.

I had been looking forward to this competition for a while now, and was very pleased, because we have never competed up here before.

I look forward to tuesday whan I will be able to see some of you guys again!

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!

I am sooo stoked!

I second that notion! Except I have competed up here, and I gotta say, it was pretty good last night. Thank you all you bands that came out to compete yesterday! It really helps support our band program and I hope you all enjoyed your time in lil' ol' Frisco. Comments, questions, concerns?

I second that notion! Except I have competed up here, and I gotta say, it was pretty good last night. Thank you all you bands that came out to compete yesterday! It really helps support our band program and I hope you all enjoyed your time in lil' ol' Frisco. Comments, questions, concerns?

I have a comment. After the competition, the locker room smelled like hot eggs rotting inside over-cooked chicken. I know - disgusting. :wacko: lol.

AAAAH! I didn't get to watch Allen, Martin, Senior, Dripping Springs... :angry:

I had to sit in warm up area B from sherman warmup in prelims to the end of prelims, and I only got to watch most of the first block of finals.

Oh I wonder if you saw me, Champion, at the warm up place. I was the guy just sitting there... I think i was taking a nap during your run. lol.

AAAAH! I didn't get to watch Allen, Martin, Senior, Dripping Springs... :angry:

I had to sit in warm up area B from sherman warmup in prelims to the end of prelims, and I only got to watch most of the first block of finals.

Oh I wonder if you saw me, Champion, at the warm up place. I was the guy just sitting there... I think i was taking a nap during your run. lol.

Haha I was so focused and it was dark so I probably saw you but just forgot.

I know this contest was probably on a different scoring system than UIL, but this contest does kind of show the strength of Area D. Dripping Springs represented the area well with a great performance here. Would just like to note that Dripping Springs was 5th in prelims and 4th in finals at area.

Know it's hard to take results from one competition and use them to predict the results of another considering they're on different scoring systems, but it does make me think ;)

Ummm... we did exhibition at 10 so uhh... results didn't get announced till like... 1030...

1st: PESH

2nd: Dripping Springs

The rest I don't remember exactly (I was changing out of pants for the most of it).

Finals:

PESH, Dripping Springs, Aledo, Sherman, PSH, Wakeland, Allen, Arlington Martin, The Colony, Mansfield (I think that's it?)

Umm... I remember being really surprised when I heard the prelims/finals results (Sherman placed a lot lower than most of us expected... and honestly, I liked the shows... both of them).

I guided Lake Dallas, Sherman (x2... I'm really sorry that you guys had such a mixup in finals), and PESH.

I met pretty much all the Sherman people on here, and I have to say... I love you guys. :) I felt very immersed in the Sherman-osity.

you didn't meet me

:[

Ok, so by the end of the day, I guided Wakeland, The Colony, Mansfield Timberview and Plano Senior.

First off, Timberview kids, I love your director and everything he did with you. I was your guide during prelims, and he was very nice, very respectful and I was SHOCKED at the way you sounded. You are half the size of Plane Senior and you made the same level of volume in the music and made it sound just as pure. I loved your show! It was disappointing to hear you move down at finals, but you should be proud of yourselves no matter what!

Oh, and they performed last because they arrived an hour late. I'm not quite sure about the full details so yah...

Wakeland, great job! I honestly hadn't seen you placing higher than 10th going in, so to move up to the 9th place spot is really good! The only 3A band to be in finals is quite an accomplishment.

and Plano Senior, I don't think any of those kids are on here, but you shocked me as well. I had never seen Senior high (just west and east) but your volume, style and just everything about it was amazing. Your directors finals speech was extremely motivational, and it actually worked on motivating ME even though it was directed towards you guys.

and The percussion judge is actually OUR percussion director. Or at least one of them is/was.

Sherman AND Aledo, another apology from us about the warm-up mix up during finals. I know your directors were both fuming, but we did the best we could after one individual made a mistake. To all the other bands who went after those two, thank you for understanding the added 10 minute delay.

As another person who has been around marching for 4 years and saw all the bands in prelims (also at Cetennial), i strongly agree with most of the judging decisions (And I was sitting next to wingz most of the time too).

And onto my big problem with the night... Aledo. I thought their show was a little too unclean for my taste. At first, I thought I had never seen them before and after seing them enter with their planets in the back, I realized I had seen them, but disliked them and didn't remember the name... or I just got distracted :wacko: . It seemed like they had alot of problems with straight lines throughout the show, and I was just about at the 50, high as the stands went. Their forms weren't placed completely where they seemed like they should have been, but it might have just been me. Then, they had a bass guitar playing with them, and my friend pointed out that it was adding alot of the bass sound to their low brass sound and gave it an almost unclean sound, just because it didn't sound like the real brass band that I'm used to. Their sound just displeased me on the whole. It's probably just a different quality of sound, but it's a quality that I disagree with. Lastly, it seemed like they didn't play a whole lot when they moved. All their "loud" notes were standing still or when they had smaller sets... and their show just bugged me. In my opinion, Sherman had em all the way. Finals might have been different, but I have no clue. That's all my opinions (in a FREAKING HUGE nutshell).

EDIT: Alright, I didn't see the last 4 bands in prelims because I had to get dressed for rehearsal. That includes the Planos, The Colony, and (the) Timberview band. My mistake ^_^ . And btw, does anyone know why they went last? What was the deal?

Those are some harsh words. haha! But, I respect what you got to say. I think you should watch were sheman marches (nothing against them they have a great show!) they use a small portion of the feild. I move from endzone to endzone in our show, and I'm not kidding. Teh lines are a major problem and its is very dirty some times I will give you that haha. Oh and by the way the bass gitar doesn't play the wind band part it only plays cords with the keyboard. But, hey you have the right to your thoughts. My directors and the sherman dirctors did talk to each other after the contest (only because we were so freaking close together and had NO room.) We both thought that the judgeing was a little off. Our scores were extremely spread from judge to judge but whateva. Also the whole warm-up thing got our directors hot under the collar, but the didn't care too much because Allen had to be placed some where they could fit, but whateva. See you guys at state and good luck!

What was up with that person from Centennial sitting on the field after the Centennial performance? What happened? And will they be okay for State?

Yah he's okay. He's the sousaphone player that ran onto the field before our performance.

He has back problems and I don't think he can physically handle marching the whole show, especially with the jazz run.

That's also not the first time that's happened to him. Our first performance of our full show at a football game, he had to be pulled of with medics because he had the same result.