2024 WGI Discussion Thread

There are videos of guards we haven't seen compete at WGI yet popping up on YouTube. Falling down a bit of YouTube hole.

Here's Invictus. A Creep show called I Don't Belong Here.

https://youtu.be/GWDsv1WtgWQ?si=YR3Ax2LuhQD_Mt_e

Here's Palm Desert High School (not middle school) performing Discov(RED). I recognize the music as Ezio Bosso. The cloud one that Onyx did in 2015.

https://youtu.be/j7k7cgrFK0c?si=JwckdUm9IKxCYgx5

I don't think Tarpon Springs MS Guard is competing in WGI but I think they absolutely should. I have been obsessed with them so far this season. They are currently ranked 2nd/28 in Scholastic AA, just weeks after promoting from Scholastic AAA. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they are rivaling Palm Desert Charter MS for best MS Guard. Their rifles are out of this world good. 

I liked Fusion well enough, but I'm not really sure what the point of the show is. It seemed a bit cerebral. I would have liked to have connected to it more emotionally. The performers were great, for sure, and there are some very cool moments in the staging.

3 hours ago, Bad.robot said:

Cy Woods parent here. As far as I know, we were never scheduled to go to Dayton this year. We have a brand new director. 

maybe he was thinking about taking them but decided not to. they're still on the current entries list!!!

On 2/21/2024 at 12:49 PM, Rubisco said:

There are videos of guards we haven't seen compete at WGI yet popping up on YouTube. Falling down a bit of YouTube hole.

Here's Invictus. A Creep show called I Don't Belong Here.

https://youtu.be/GWDsv1WtgWQ?si=YR3Ax2LuhQD_Mt_e

Here's Palm Desert High School (not middle school) performing Discov(RED). I recognize the music as Ezio Bosso. The cloud one that Onyx did in 2015.

https://youtu.be/j7k7cgrFK0c?si=JwckdUm9IKxCYgx5

Watch for the long bomb Rifle tosses near the end of the Invictus Show.  Wow!   Just insane and so much fun!

On 2/24/2024 at 11:46 PM, J-Mike16 said:

I don't think Tarpon Springs MS Guard is competing in WGI but I think they absolutely should. I have been obsessed with them so far this season. They are currently ranked 2nd/28 in Scholastic AA, just weeks after promoting from Scholastic AAA. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they are rivaling Palm Desert Charter MS for best MS Guard. Their rifles are out of this world good. 

They are definitely very good but they are not really even close to the level of PDCMS. I like the show a lot and they are definitely a talented young group, but they are lacking the skills, sophistication and maturity level that Palm Desert currently just oozes with. Those PDCMS kids are truly brilliant!

18 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

They are definitely very good but they are not really even close to the level of PDCMS. I like the show a lot and they are definitely a talented young group, but they are lacking the skills, sophistication and maturity level that Palm Desert currently just oozes with. Those PDCMS kids are truly brilliant!

I mean you right lol. I'm just impressed that again its another middle school dominating the divisions down there in Florida.

Another big weekend for WGI! We'll get to see both the Austin and SoCal regionals on Flo. I can't wait to see what some of those California guards are bringing this year. I loved Arcadia's show last year. I'm wondering if they'll kick it up a notch again and stay top 5 at Dayton, or if Fishers will take their spot.

I wish we were getting the Orlando regional on Flo. I'd like to see how Tarpon has developed. It'll be interesting to see how they and TWHS score in SW this weekend, as the distance between their scores and 90 may tell us by how much Avon will beat them at Dayton. 😂 Of course, I'm hoping for a little bit more competition at the top!

40 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Another big weekend for WGI! We'll get to see both the Austin and SoCal regionals on Flo. I can't wait to see what some of those California guards are bringing this year. I loved Arcadia's show last year. I'm wondering if they'll kick it up a notch again and stay top 5 at Dayton, or if Fishers will take their spot.

I wish we were getting the Orlando regional on Flo. I'd like to see how Tarpon has developed. It'll be interesting to see how they and TWHS score in SW this weekend, as the distance between their scores and 90 may tell us by how much Avon will beat them at Dayton. 😂 Of course, I'm hoping for a little bit more competition at the top!

I'm really excited for Austin! I'll definitely try to catch some of SoCal finals, but Saturday will be all Austin. And I was thinking the same thing earlier today about Orland, I was really hoping to see Tarpon before Dayton, hopefully a video if put on YouTube or something, either way super pumped for the weekend! 

Good morning, everyone! We are here live on Flomarching for the WGI Austin regional. It's gonna be a great day of guard and I'm super excited to see some shows for the first time, as well as some familiar faces. There is a BIG Baylor Basketball game at noon, so I will be multi-tasking during that, but I still plan to cover all the groups during that time. Good luck again to all the guards as we will begin shortly! 

Weiss-A wash of color: Great start to today! Really nice bodywork to open up the show. Really love the different colors throughout the show. I do wish and think, that the show could have been a tad bit harder. It was a very slow show, and the weapon work followed, with very little to get from the show. The flag work was very colorful, and the soloist killed it. The team is super talented and could definitely handle a harder show, but it was still very enjoyable, great job Weiss! 

Hebron JV- good life: Love the dance work to open up the show. These orange uniforms look so good against the green, black and white tarp as we move into some real impressive flag work. Super talented rifle soloist in the middle of the beautiful flag movement, amazing slag trio after the rife moment as we close out with some more big flag work. These girls aren't far behind the varsity group, super talented. Do wish there was some more tosses all around, but still an amazing job Hebron JV! 

Clements- harmony in haring: Great opening dance work between our saber and flag duet as we move into some big saber work with flags in the background. Love the city-line tarp, adds a lot of color to the show. My goodness they are really good. A very high demanding show they are absolutely nailing. Love the mixed weapon work in the middle as we move into a big group flag moment that's sooo in time. Soloist were great, amazing design, just wow Clements, really hope we get to see them again tomorrow! 

Cypress Woods: WOW!!! I see why they've been having such an incredible season because that was CLEAN. Love the opening bodywork with our saber soloist. They do such a great job of showing off their small groups with having the other members posing on the props, really effective. Big flag moment at the end was so in time, soloists were amazing, I mean wow, they are gonna do very well this weekend, can't wait to see that again tomorrow. Just such a well-designed show being executed at such a high level. This group is gonna be going big places these upcoming seasons, amazing job Cy-Woods! 

Azle- bridge: Thanks for making the trip down Azle! Loved this show at Dallas, and I do even more. Great saber soloist to start us off as they move into some really difficult flag work. Love the white uniforms against the blue flags. The rifle moments are just wow, amazing big flag moment in the end with our incredible rifle soloist showing off throughout as she crosses the bridge to finish the show. Another super talented group, wonderful job Azle, so clean! 

Cedar Park- The ever-expanding void and all its beauty: The opening dance work with the girls running in a circle around the void adds some really nice GE as we move into an opening saber/flag moment. Great coronation throughout the show, and I really like the brighter blue flags against the black uniforms. Soloists were great all around, and the staging really adds a lot of depth to the show with the different circle formations. So much to enjoy from this show, and that ending is just wow. Another very clean performance, amazing job Cedar Park! 

Georgetown-drawing: For such a small group they are really good! Loved the usage of the pencil prop, adds some nice GE. Great solo moments throughout. Some incredible flag work, and I love the different flag colors, and tons of variety in weapon work, great job Georgetown! 

Round Rock: SO ENTERTAING!! Love the opening moment with some amazing dance work with some flags in the back. Great use of the big stage prop to help show off their incredible soloist. Love how the transition into the rifle work, which was very demanding and they nailed it. The narration helps add so much to the story, and they emotion from each performer helps elevate the show to the next level. SO much GE, and just a great group of performers, amazing job rock guard! 

Lockhart: WOW WOW WOW! Missed the name of the show, but they were SOOO good! The uniforms were great, adding a nice some individuality to the performers. The story is really easy to follow, and the show is so demanding, with so much exposure, but they make it look so easy. Another first-time viewing that has blown me away, really hope and think we will be seeing them again, incredible job Lockhart! 

Vista Ridge- Oh the things you will find if you don't stay behind: It's a Lorax show!! Lovley opening dance moment as the members slowly break away from the big circle. Love the usage of the big tree props, and the color plate is very nice. Great rifle work as things gets kicked off. The theme is a bit hard to follow, but they execution is definitely there. Really great flag work with tons of colors, though the bright neon green against the green uniforms was a bit distracting at times, think they could use better colors for the flags at times that don't take away from the performance, but an amazing job by the ranger guard! 

Cedar Ridge JV-stone cold: Great dance work with our flag soloist as the flag members enclose the rest of the dancers. Great staging of the rifles in the middle of the split flag work that's still going on, love the bright purple against the black tarp as we move into a big gold flag moment. Soloist were amazing, and I love the constant freezing of some of the members to represent the being taken over with stone by Medusa. Just a great all-around show with so much talent, amazing job CR! 

McNeil- hold on tight: WOW! Such a cool show! Loved that opening with the super expressive bodywork surrounded with plenty of solo moments. So much depth to the show, and the performers really elevate the theme throughout. Tons of difficult weapon work that they make look so easy. Just a really magical performance, super clean and one I hope we get to see again, great job McNeil. 

I'll be taking a temporary break but will be back for Joshua