2023 HEB Marching Contest (Sept. 30)

celesta

Hopefully they stream this contest on YouTube like they usually do.

I saw both Marcus and Keller’s latest halftime performances (with audio, yay!). Maybe it’s bit of recency bias, but these are the two that have excited me the most out of the bands competing here.

Marcus’ show is suuuuper edgy. After the pre show they literally start with the most dissonant, crunchy chord before jumping into a very fast and technical section. Lots of notes constantly flying. I also love how dramatic and unique their choreo is. The second part is pretty much entirely a percussion feature…it’s just so so cool and intense. 

Keller’s show is very beautiful but also powerful. Lots of Mahler 2 goodness, which I think they are definitely doing justice. I really like how they’re showcasing quieter dynamics and more lyrical moments on top of the loud stuff you would usually expect. The brass feature that they play on the move after the ballad kindof knocked my socks off.

Haven’t seen Wakeland in a month. From what I remember they had a lot of their show out there and it was very very clean. I wouldn’t be surprised if they show up with a full, clean, production. I think they’ll do really really well here, even though I wasn’t as excited by the concept. 

I also saw Keller Central’s most recent performance. They didn’t perform a ton of their show, and it felt a bit underproduced for this point in the season, but I was really quite impressed. It’s a similar vibe to last year. Very intense, edgy, and lots of notes…maybe a liiiittle overly blasty. Hopefully the rest of the show showcases a full range of musicality.

Forney is looking like a solid top half of finals contender. I’m also interested to see how much Timber Creek has cleaned, because as of September 1st, it looked like they had a lot of work to do.

Keller Central- The Edge 

All I can say is wow! It’s hard to judge visually bc of the quality of the live stream so most of my comments will be music based, but KC sound SO GOOD for this time of the season! I’m a really big fan of the music, especially after that opening hit! Their soloist did great, especially that Clarinet, bro was killing it! Very excited to see the at prosper, great job KC! 

6 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I’m not very surprised- Timber Creek has been on the rise! Keller seems to me to be a bit of a lull from the previous years, but we’ll see! They tend to be a late-season peaking band.

No you’re right, I’ll be first to admit that Keller’s show relies too much on showing off the impressive musicians. It doesn’t have enough arrival moments and the effect is not there yet.

Not just the Keller slow start, I think they are on the outside looking in right now at Grand Nats.